When Will The Rain Stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
How long has it been raining for? I remember I once visited for 23 days and out of the 23 it rained 17 days.

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
are you talking 24/7 UK style rain, or just a couple hours here and there each day? Answer determines my level of pity for you... ;)

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
In Puerto Plata we have normally been waking to bright sunny skies. It is hot and humid.

In the afternoon the clouds start to build up coming at us from the east and rolling in. The timing of the rain starting changes. Yesterday it started by about 5pm. Sometimes it does not start until 8 pm....

How much rain we get seems to vary but we are getting rain almost daily. It is not fair to make it sound like it rains all day every day - because it doesn't. But occasionally it does start early..........

Get your sun early in the day - get your errands done early in the day.......

Right this minute it is BEAUTIFUL- hot and sunny and humid with very very high hazy clouds. Yup it will likely rain later on today

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In Puerto Plata we have normally been waking to bright sunny skies. It is hot and humid.

In the afternoon the clouds start to build up coming at us from the east and rolling in. The timing of the rain starting changes. Yesterday it started by about 5pm. Sometimes it does not start until 8 pm....

How much rain we get seems to vary but we are getting rain almost daily. It is not fair to make it sound like it rains all day every day - because it doesn't. But occasionally it does start early..........

Get your sun early in the day - get your errands done early in the day.......

Right this minute it is BEAUTIFUL- hot and sunny and humid with very very high hazy clouds. Yup it will likely rain later on today

Yes, that is the normal pattern during most of the year. There are some days that are complete washouts, but not many, fortunately.

We are now in the hurricane season, so during the next few months we may have some rainy periods brought about by the tropical depressions and storms that pass close enough to have an effect on our weather.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
How long has it been raining for? I remember I once visited for 23 days and out of the 23 it rained 17 days.

It does not rain all day long but in mid december it rained every day for 30 days and it seems like now it rains almost every day but not all day long.

This past winter was the worst in the 4 years I have been here.

I want my money back!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I remember one year it rained every single day in November! And then the following March we had rain that was unbelievable.

The reality is the North Coast gets more then its share of rain. But that is why it is so lush and green!!!! Compare to other areas where it is brown and dry......

I will tolerate the rain cause I know the sun will come out soon. Well right after the thunder storm that seems about to start!!!!! Wow thunder....

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I remember one year it rained every single day in November! And then the following March we had rain that was unbelievable.

The reality is the North Coast gets more then its share of rain. But that is why it is so lush and green!!!! Compare to other areas where it is brown and dry......

I will tolerate the rain cause I know the sun will come out soon. Well right after the thunder storm that seems about to start!!!!! Wow thunder....

I think that was in 2005 or 2006, where it rained a bit every day from the beginning to November well into late December and then again all of January.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I think you are correct! It amazes me how everything in Puerto Plata comes to a screaming halt when it rains. That is heavy rain, light rain whatever. It stops almost everything.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I think that was in 2005 or 2006, where it rained a bit every day from the beginning to November well into late December and then again all of January.

Well remembered..... ;)

In the winter of 2004, ,after weeks of endless rain and trying to get to work everyday with a semi dry,clean uniform I finally gave up and returned to the UK. My apartment was in the hills behind POP and the roads just turned into a cross between a river and a mudslide.
I used to feel sorry for some of the tourists who had paid a lot of money for 14 days holiday and had rain every single day. :ermm:

Rio

Reactions: Tamborista

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I dont feel sorry for the tourists. I have vacationed when it rained and had a great time anyway.

I feel sorry for the locals who live in some of these barrios. The heavy rains can wipe them out. Regular rain can make it near impossible to get anywhere or do anything. Imagine trying to get your clothes washed and dried when we have 30 straight days of rain....... everything smells musty.

Right now we have rains at night or evening but it is sunny and hot during the day - like right now. Hot and hazy!!!! ;)

Silenus

Mar 20, 2009
I wanted to wash my car since 2 weeks, but it's a wasted effort with this crazy weather.

I'll just do the interior. :D

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I dont feel sorry for the tourists. I have vacationed when it rained and had a great time anyway.

I worked as a holiday rep, so I had a slight vested interest.
There again,you seeem to have a downer on my posts in general :ermm:

Back to the hole I crawled out of...........

Reactions: mike l

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It does not rain all day long but in mid december it rained every day for 30 days and it seems like now it rains almost every day but not all day long.

This past winter was the worst in the 4 years I have been here.

I want my money back!

I had the same experience in January this year. It rained nearly all day, every day for 2 weeks straight in Samana. Thank God, I was there for nearly a month and had some beach days at the end.
I would never go back to DR in January, that's for sure :paranoid: Kids had a great time though...

Last edited:

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I had the same experience in January this year. It rained nearly all day, every day for 2 weeks straight in Samana. Thank God, I was there for nearly a month and had some beach days at the end.
I would never go back to DR in January, that's for sure :paranoid:

The last trip I made to the North Coast was November 2008 - it rained every single day, sometimes all day, for 10 days solid. Even with an apartment, cable tv etc, it spoiled my stay. I hadn't hired a vehicle on that occasion and wouldn't have ventured out on a moto.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that tourism brings in vast resources for the DR. When a person books 7 or 14 days in a resort they hope and expect a great holiday. Too many of the hotels are reliant on the weather being good - there is virtually nothing planned for wet weather days, bar a TV or films being shown. There are even hotels in Playa Dorada with outdoor stages - rain and the evening entertainment becomes something hastily cobbled together, if at all. A pretty poor return for a very considerable outlay.

IMHO - and it is only my opinion

Rio

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Here in the East the cloud cover has been almost constant for weeks. Not a whole lot of rain but I'd really like to see the sunshine again.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I worked as a holiday rep, so I had a slight vested interest.
There again,you seeem to have a downer on my posts in general :ermm:

Back to the hole I crawled out of...........

Not at ALL!!!! Anyone who can work as a rep deserves respect and admiration. I just had a different experience.

BUT I do not envy any rep the numbers of whining tourists complaining about the weather - like you can do anything about it. It is a mostly thankless job!

Status
Not open for further replies.