Sosua/Dominican Laws and statutes question

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
I have tried searching this site as well as others, with no luck, it could be operator error. I am trying to research Dominican laws and the laws and statutes of Sosua or state (not sure if state is right) of Puerto Plata. I know someone here will be able to point me in the right direction. Cheers Mike

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Provinces, not states, in the DR.

But I doubt that you are going to find what you are looking for on this board. There has been discussion about some specific provision in a law that related to a problem some member was having, or Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions in the Legal section of the message board sometimes mentions a specific law or portion of a law in answering a question posted in that section, but I am not aware of any organized body of information in the archives of dr1 regarding laws of Sosua, etc.

If you go to Fabio Guzman's website you will find a number of publications that contain laws and information about laws. Perhaps some of what you are looking for is in one of them.
Guzman Ariza, Publications Law

Otherwise, I would suggest that you repost your question , asking Fabio where you can find what you are looking for. Try to be a specific as you can.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The Dominican Republic is not a federal republic as the US, Brazil Mexico, Argentina, etc. Therefore, all our laws are national in scope and apply to the entire country. Provinces and municipalities cannot enact laws. Municipalities may enact "ordenanzas municipales" in connection with minor matters related to the town in question.

Last edited:

bullitt510

Apr 29, 2010
Thank you , that gives me a better idea of how to look. I live for now part time in Sosua it will become permanent soon and just want to be familiar with the laws. Now that I understand that laws are country wide that will make my research easier. Cheers M