27 falls

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can catch a "guagua" there is Cabarete, or ask one of the taxi drivers to take you to Sos?a. In Sos?a, you can have the driver leave you at the "Parada de Guaguas" and take one to the , Entrada de Damajagua, and from there you can take Motoconchos with your daughter. It will be thrilling, a real adventure. Just be very careful at the falls. There is a real element of danger there.

Have a great time.

HB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It might be worth checking that they have adressed the issues with the safety there. If I am not mistaken they were closed down last year after an unfortunate instance involving an adventure seeker.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Doing the falls will be the most dangerous thing you can in your life time. That is if you survive it. Last year a very normal, in shape, responsible couple with thier two teen age boys did the falls. Both parents died at the falls. They were not the first deaths recorded there. This does not address the multiple injuries (some severe) that occur there all the time. There are NO real safety measures in place, no training for emergencies for the staff, no real plan for ememgencies, basically NO regard for safety, but yes they do like the $$. My only piece of advise is DO NOT DO THIS TRIP.
If you want more information feel free to contact me via PM

Bob K

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I suppose I should have mentioned the danger. Bob is right about the lack of safety measures beyond some life vests...

I do believe I mentioned before, in an earlier post, to be very careful, since it had been raining...However, given the fact that people have died there, including at least two teenagers over the last 3 or 4 years...I would think priorities might be inorder.

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would be very reluctant to slide down rocks, having used one of those slides at a swimming pool where I manage to scrape my back and rip my shorts on smooth plastic-also if you are not used to it you can get disorientated and go down instead of uptrying to get out of the water- my sister in law tried that one

Cheetah

Jan 15, 2005
I am Adam's father. Thanks to the posters who continue to warn about this dangerous tour. I thought the safety improvements made after my sons death would help, but apparently not since a healthy and fit couple died there about a year ago. It is no doubt dangerous and life threatning. It is a tour that should be promoted to the extreme sport fanatics with a little warning that there is potential for Loss of Life. This tour should not be advertised to the general tourist.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I agree, I have just checked out some of the footage on youtube and some of this day seems utterly extreme and the possabiltities for broken legs, cracked heads and the total zero use of harnesses by any of the helpers or visitors in some of the more volnerable positions seems like it isn?t something everyone can take to (or completely understands the danger they are in). I expect the hospital visit toll is somewhat huge after viewing these videos. To imagine these falls after a downpour is something else entirely.

It looks great fun if you are looking for this, I expect many visit with slightly less heart pounding expectations.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
It's not Disney World

Although my trip was a few years ago, my group was as safe as they wanted to be. Perhaps things have changed in the past 5+ years. I don't know. We were there shortly after an earthquake and heavy rains.

I agree that if something serious happens you could be a LONG way away from an EMT/Hospital, but this isn't an adventure for everyone - and this really is an adventure.

You have to be moderately athletic/coordinated and in decent shape to make this trip work. If I was bringing people out there I'd definitely warn them that they need to be prepared to be uncomfortable and perhaps even a bit scared. I went with high school students that couldn't get enough of the steep chutes and huge leaps into small pools.

Just today, I was just telling a Damajagua story to a buddy. I took a leap from a tree limb 50+ feet above the last pool of the day. When I came to the surface of the water, I scolded myself for doing something like that. The "what-if's" were in my mind as soon as I safely touched the bottom and pushed back up to the surface.

"What if" I broke my leg, hit my head, etc. I wouldn't want to put myself or the people around me in a situation like that (maybe I actually did hit my head and got smrter?).

Here's my trip report.

Lastly, in reference to my title, this isn't Disney or some state-side theme park. You have to look out for yourself, don't just assume that if you screw up that someone's got your back.

Malouvanhulett

Dec 26, 2011
We were with 7 people. 4 over 50 years and 3 teenagers we had a fabulous time and never felt in any safety jeopardy! We did all 27 with two wonderful guides. We felt the trip was just what we were looking for to do an exciting adventure with our family.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I am Adam's father. Thanks to the posters who continue to warn about this dangerous tour. I thought the safety improvements made after my sons death would help, but apparently not since a healthy and fit couple died there about a year ago. It is no doubt dangerous and life threatning. It is a tour that should be promoted to the extreme sport fanatics with a little warning that there is potential for Loss of Life. This tour should not be advertised to the general tourist.
Very Sad, Im so sorry for your loss. I did this trip dec 1999 with 4 other young fit guys and must say it was a thrill seeking adventure which posed obvious risks. The drive up in the back of a tour truck while the drivers consumed rum was equally scarey.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We were with 7 people. 4 over 50 years and 3 teenagers we had a fabulous time and never felt in any safety jeopardy! We did all 27 with two wonderful guides. We felt the trip was just what we were looking for to do an exciting adventure with our family.

Really? Hard to believe with the heavy rain downfall the last month. I smell a sock puppet...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
According to a representative from TUI Germany, a German tourist hurt his leg quite badly at the falls, needing an operation. To the big surprise of TUI, apparently the falls had no insurance at all.

This alone should tell you something of the people running it.