Looking for some imput here, sure could use it.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Here is the story, I am American, wife is Dominican, married in the Dominican 9 years ago. We have two children 5 and 9, both dual citizenship. My 9 year old is here in the states with me. 5 year old in the dominican. Both of our kids travel on american passports. My wife has a 17 and 18 year old daughter, both dominican, from a previous relationship. I have obtained american visas for my wife and her 2 daughters. They are coming here next month. I am hoping to find any possible stumbling blocks at the airport in the Santo Domingo before departure, talking immigration stuff. I sent my wife to the airport recently to get info on what they might need besides american visas and dominican passports, remind you my son has american passport. She was told that she needs to go to the american embassy in Santo Domingo to get some kind of form for my son to leave their to come here. We are relocating here in the U.S. Does anyone have any idea what kind of form they are talking about. He is american, I am american, I am here, she is coming here???? No idea what they are talking about. I know when I leave DR with my daughter she needs a certificate that says my wife knows she is leaving and no problems, a measley 6,000 pesos...lol.....I have gotten that many of times, basically they don't want foreign husbands hijaking kids from their other parent who is dominican. The immigration officer always takes this and I asked her last time if I needed this and she said "absolutely". Anybody have any idea what that form is that my american son needs to leave the DR with his mother to come here to his father?? Sounds like a dominican fish story, or a way of making loot.....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you are right. My Dominican daughter-in-law is taking her two US/DR citizen boys to the States this month. Their US citizen father is in the States.
The children are travelling with their mother. They have valid US passports. There should be absolutely no issues.
This is a case of why look for problems?

However, you sir are GUILTY of serious offenses against GRAMMAR!. You used 'Dominican" as a noun, not once, but twice.!!! How dare you!! Afer all this time....TSK TSK TSK...

You have been issued a warning by the Grammar Police!

HB

dleylend

Jun 8, 2010
as per the DR immigration law

I hope after 9 years in the DR, you do read spanish.....

A LAS LINEAS AEREAS
A LAS AGENCIAS DE VIAJES
A TODO EL PUBLICO EN GENERAL

La Direccion General de Migracion les hace de publico conocimiento, que para los ni?os, ni?as y adolescentes Menores de 18 a?os puedan salir del pais tendran que llenar los siguientes requisitos:

1. Si el menor viaja con uno de los padres, debera tener una autorizacion del otro, amparado en un acta notarial debidamente legalizada por la Procuraduria General de la Republica, documento que presentara a la Direccion General de Migracion para emitir el debido permiso, con los requisitos que se detallan mas adelante, (a,b,c,d,e,f).

2. En caso de que el menor viaje con una tercera persona, o linea aerea, ambos padres deberan autorizar a dicho menor, mediante un acta notarial legalizada por la Procuraduria General de la Republica, documento que presentara a la Direccion General de Migracion con los siguientes anexos;

a) Copia del pasaporte del menor y su acompa?ante.

b) Copia de Visa o Residencia del Menor y su Acompa?ante.

c) Original del Acta de Nacimiento Legalizada, si es Dominicano (Reciente) y copia.

d) 2 Fotografias 2x2 de Frente, solamente del menor.

e) Copia de las cedulas de los padres que autorizan.

f) El permiso tiene un costo de RD$1,000.00 de impuestos, por cada menor y se entrega en 48 horas. Si es VIP se paga RD$ 1,000.00 adicional.

3. Si uno de los padres ha fallecido traer el acta de defuncion original y copia.

4. Aunque uno de los padres tenga la guarda o custodia del menor, deberan traer la autorizacion de viaje del otro padre o la autorizacion del tribunal de menores.

5. Si uno o ambos padres se encuentran en el exterior deben dirigirse al Consulado Dominicano mas proximo y solicitar un poder consular, autorizando la salida del menor con su acompa?ante.

NOTA 1: Cualquier informacion favor llamar a los telefonos (809) 508-2555 ext. 313,316, fax (809) 532-1458.

NOTA 2: Los padres deben firmar el poder notarial con la firma que figura en su cedula de identidad y electoral.

also the link:
DGM - Servicios - Certificaciones - Permiso para Menores

g'luck -

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, but these are United State Citizens, returning to the United States. They are not leaving their homes, they are going to their homes, with their mother.

It seems to me that this is an important issue.

I have travelled with my grandchildren and had the proper papers. I travelled with my granddaughters and their mother and she had to have her husband's Death Certificate on hand. but now that they have US passports, things seem to change but I still get her permission to travel with the girls.

HB

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
I think you are right. My Dominican daughter-in-law is taking her two US/DR citizen boys to the States this month. Their US citizen father is in the States.
The children are travelling with their mother. They have valid US passports. There should be absolutely no issues.
This is a case of why look for problems?

However, you sir are GUILTY of serious offenses against GRAMMAR!. You used 'Dominican" as a noun, not once, but twice.!!! How dare you!! Afer all this time....TSK TSK TSK...

You have been issued a warning by the Grammar Police!

Your "grammar policing" is about as useful as the AMVET.

HB

What the hell are you talking about, why look for problems??? I am trying to avoid them. I want them to leave without any issues with immigration??? Maybe I should have used "Dominican" as a verb?? Come down from the mountain Billy.

And for your "grammar policing" it is about as useful as the AMVET.

But thanks for the info, and I know that is not a sentence, but do understand, I do not care.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Yes, but these are United State Citizens, returning to the United States. They are not leaving their homes, they are going to their homes, with their mother.

It seems to me that this is an important issue.

I have travelled with my grandchildren and had the proper papers. I travelled with my granddaughters and their mother and she had to have her husband's Death Certificate on hand. but now that they have US passports, things seem to change but I still get her permission to travel with the girls.

HB

"but I still get her permission to travel with the girls" and that means she verbally said "yes" it is ok to travel with them "Hilly" and that is good enough??? Or is there an official document you need to procure in order to travel?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They have US passports? Yes. they are going to the US, Yes. They are travelling with their mother, Yes.
they might need birth certificates issued by the US Consulate to establish that the woman is their mother and that you are their father, but beyond that I cannot see that they need anything else.
Unless Mr Guzman says different, of course.

As far as grammar is concerned, it only is important if you think it is. They say ignorance is bliss, after all...

Tah tah,

HB

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
What the hell are you talking about, why look for problems??? I am trying to avoid them. I want them to leave without any issues with immigration??? Maybe I should have used "Dominican" as a verb?? Come down from the mountain Billy.

And for your "grammar policing" it is about as useful as the AMVET.

But thanks for the info, and I know that is not a sentence, but do understand, I do not care.

The word DOMINICAN in Dominican Republic is an adjective describing Republic. That is why the country's name can not be abbreviated to just Dominican. That is what Hillbilly was trying to explain so graciously. I don't think there is a need to be so harsh in your response. HB is one of the most insightful people in this board. He is genuinely helpful and adds a bit of humor to the threads. He was just pointing out something that people that know DR inside and out cringe about.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
who cares about that Dominican stuff. The thing is that permission from both parents is needed when a child wants to leave the country. They are Americans and coming back to America(withthe US passports) but they have been there longer than 90 days so to be sure those are your children, the US government wants to get your Handcock on a certification that you give permission for these children to travel to another country even the one they came from. You should be able to get a form from the Post Office in the US and then send it to the embassy in SD.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Understood

The word DOMINICAN in Dominican Republic is an adjective describing Republic. That is why the country's name can not be abbreviated to just Dominican. That is what Hillbilly was trying to explain so graciously. I don't think there is a need to be so harsh in your response. HB is one of the most insightful people in this board. He is genuinely helpful and adds a bit of humor to the threads. He was just pointing out something that people that know DR inside and out cringe about.

I understand his point, and I appreciate his words of help on my question, but we need to move on to bigger things.......Trust me. Better, "I" need to move on to bigger things than worrying about correct spelling and grammar in a forum on Dr1.
I lived in the DR for many years and there is a very urgent need for "grammar" and "spelling" police in the local schools.....Dire need. There is time well spent. I did it, and be assured, I used the correct usage of words in multiple languages.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
who cares about that Dominican stuff. The thing is that permission from both parents is needed when a child wants to leave the country. They are Americans and coming back to America(withthe US passports) but they have been there longer than 90 days so to be sure those are your children, the US government wants to get your Handcock on a certification that you give permission for these children to travel to another country even the one they came from. You should be able to get a form from the Post Office in the US and then send it to the embassy in SD.

Racer, this has nothing to do with the U.S. government's rules and regulations. That is a definite. I appreciate your words none the less.

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Golfer, another DR1 member went through the same thing, not too long ago.
Here is the thread:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/101092-leaving-dr-w-child.html

Africaida, much appreciate for that info. I did not get a clear cut answer, but when has anybody in the DR gotten one, but I have some usful info. I will print up a letter here in the US and get it notarized here. It will say I am aware of the child leaving with his mother and coming here. I will then send it to her down there and have her bring it to the airport BEFORE the departure date and find out if that works. Thank your for the effort.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My two grandsons are going with their Dominican mother to Florida next week. She has NOTHING from her husband. She does not need it. The kids have US Passports.

Nuf said. If you stir the pot you will get splattered. I am betting that "they" will tell her "No, it has to be stamped legalized or something!!" and she does not need it inthe first place.

However, just to check, I am going to call.

H
B

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My daughter in law carries the death certificate of her husband.

Still waiting for an answer from the other one.

One thing does come to mind, but it does not affect your situation: When we last travelled, one of the boys who was born in the US was fined like $1000 pesos for overstaying his tourist visa!! He has to get residence here. Since your two were born here, they do not have that problem.

HB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Racer, this has nothing to do with the U.S. government's rules and regulations. That is a definite. I appreciate your words none the less.

didnt you just say this:
"She was told that she needs to go to the american embassy in Santo Domingo to get some kind of form for my son to leave their to come here. We are relocating here in the U.S. Does anyone have any idea what kind of form they are talking about.
"

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
racer

didnt you just say this:
"She was told that she needs to go to the american embassy in Santo Domingo to get some kind of form for my son to leave their to come here. We are relocating here in the U.S. Does anyone have any idea what kind of form they are talking about.
"

Racer, Yes of course I said that, but I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT, I believe its the typical Dominican fish story, bunch of BS. Immigration, of the dominican kind, told my wife that. I am certain, like lawyer verified certain, nothing is necessary from the U.S. side. Positively........I traveled yesterday to Providence, RI, not far for me, and got a notarized letter in spanish in which a copy of my passport will be attached. I have been told by others, if anything is needed at all, this will suffice. Beyond that my wife, who has dominican military in the family will be accompanied by a colonel....I am more at ease now, thanks all.