Why RD$20k a month? please enlighten me.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Why is the Public Health department helping this family with $20k/m?
I understand the financial strain on this family but what about the other families that cant feed their children?
I am not against helping someone out but it seems like these people have made a "few" poor choices. Ten (10) kids between the two of them now!

Someone recently posted an article about a man and 7 children abandoned by their wife/mother and he 'had" to give his children away. Any help for him?

Perhaps I am missing something here. Can someone explain if there is some kind of law or human nature ruling for special circumstances in the D.R.?

Thanks,

Ccarabella

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Here in the Dominican Republic sometimes the government gives back to the needy, not only in this instance, but if someone loses their home in a act of nature also.

Maybe your country can learn a bit here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is nothing which gives people 'rights' in situations like these, other than the very minimal tarjeta programmes. So it depends on whether it has a high profile, would give good photo-opportunities etc etc. Government or political whim or catching the eye of someone with influence, seem to be the deciding factors, so some get and others don't.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Although this is slowly changing, having lots of children is still perceived as a blessing as opposed to the result of poor decisions. And the poor do have their reasons - much higher child mortality in the past, reliance on children as future providers for old age, etc. In this case the quintuplets could have been accidental, unless she was taking fertility drugs which is almost always the cause of these multiple births - would she really do this if she already had a child?

I was reading the comments on the article about the other case, the one about the father who wanted to give his 7 children away - many of the readers made the point that someone earning RD$5,000 a month had to be very irresponsible to have had so many kids.

OTOH, didn't one of the famous talk show hosts (Corpor?n?) used to invite parents of enormous numbers of children on his show and give them some kind of award?

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I can see the political side of it here as it is considered a high profile/unusual case. Others can and will benefit from the publicity including the family involved.
I was thinking more along the lines of the other case mentioned (7 kids) whereas it also made headlines but did not get much attention. In my opinion it was clearly a case that deemed some compassion and some sort of assistance at least for the children involved.

As for the comment by Sky - "Maybe your country can learn a bit here".
The U.S. provides foreign aid for many countries when in fact "we" have our own problems i.e., the war, crime, medical coverage, national debt etc.
U.S. aid for D.R. 2010 > $47million for Aids, $17million for education.

I'm not tryting to engage in a political debate here.

Cc