Cuartro de Julio en Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2008
While viewing the USA - England match, I started thinking about how far back the actual rivalry between these two countries went; Some 234 years, at least!

That line of thinking lead me to wonder if there will even be a 4th of July celebration / BBQ at Rocky's this year.

I have attended those celebratory gatherings for about 5 years now, and I have always found them to be thoroughly enjoyable, each with a large and diverse crowd and a variety of great food.

Two questions came to mind; Since the World Cup has taken center stage at the moment, will there even be a July 4th BBQ at Rocky's this year, and would it be appropriate and permissible for me to invite some poor despondent Brit, as a gesture of charity and good will?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
fortunately I have no interest in football otherwise I might have to slap your legs and send you to the naughty step

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
PM dafishguy, thats the owner of Rocky's, if anyone could help you out he probably is the one.....

Mar 2, 2008
But I doubt that he would know the protocol relating to erstwhile Brits however.

Maybe Amy Vanderbilt could help in that regard?

May 29, 2006
How do they arrange the next set of matches anyway? Would England not play the US again unless they both made it to the final? I see the odds of that happening as slim to none.

Mar 2, 2008
Good question about the matches and how they are set. Colin Robinson seems to know a bit about it. Perhaps he wouldn't mind setting us straight.

By the way, Colin was one of those hooligans I referred to in the other thread.

He almost had me straightened out on the floor, after our second or third tequila. Luckily, I checked the score before taking him up on his last offer, and thankfully, I could still count at that point.

So what is it Colin? Do the Brits get another "shot" at redemption?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Probably based on goal difference - or goals scored, these days. And then they used to look at how many yellow/red cards a team had.
One time, all things being equal, they ended up flipping a coin.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Yes David, Rocky's WILL be doing the usual July 4th get together on... you guessed it, the 4th of July ;-) It will be the same as other years with the theme being all you can eat and the feeling of friends gathering to celebrate another great year in Sosua.

We will be doing BBQ burgers, hotdogs, steaks and offering Rocky's special salads and there is a rumor of deserts being available at the end of it all as well. This year, we are going to offer something new. We will offer anyone who wants to try it, ONE of our BBQ Blue Cheese burgers as long as the sauce lasts. Since they were introduced, we have been selling out on the blue cheese sauce needing to prepare a new batch almost daily. Well, it doesn't help that people have found other things to put the sauce on like salads, Buffalo wings & Schnitzel. Seriously, if you would like to try the BBQ blue cheese burger, just ask me and I'll prepare you one.

The cost this year is $499 pesos per person. It will run from 2 PM to 6 PM. If you would like to attend, please cut this next section and place your name below the last persons on the list along with the amount of people attending. This way, we will know just how much we need to buy to get ready for the fine folks who wish to attend.

Rocky's 4th of July BBQ Extravaganza attendees.
Dafishguy (2)

Thanks folks, we hope to see many of the regulars as well as a few new faces this year. It is a real reason to celebrate.

Take care,

Rick

May 29, 2006
The structure of the 16 is clear in that they will play other sections, but it doesn't explain whether ENG can play USA in the quarter or semi-finals.

May 29, 2006
@ Rick,

If you are making up a lot of dressing, we used to use a paint-mixer attached to a variable speed drill to mix it up in 5 gallon buckets. We used to go through 20-30 gallons or more of dressing a week in high season and it made the task A LOT easier. You can't use the expensive immersion blenders because it takes the texture out of the bleu cheese. I would think you can get the paint mixers at the hardware stores there no prob for under $15. You can also get smaller ones for making up gallon batches. 5 gallons is about 300 servings.

sn102-02_med.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
US vs ENG II is highly unlikely.

The way I see it, England will go through as #1 of Group C and (Hopefully) the US will go through as #2. In that case it seems that England will face Ghana as #2 of Group D and the US will go against Germany as probably winner of Group D.

Then, supposing both win their matches, England will face France, Mexico or Uruguay out of Group A (If they beat South Korea out of B). Then the USA would have to beat Argentina outof B...and THEN England and the US could have a rematch...you follow all that??

That might not be perfect, but it will give you an idea of how slim the chances are until 2014.

Ta-tah!!!

HB

May 29, 2006
OK so if England is #1 of C and Germany is #2 of D, then England would face Germany next, right? That would be an interesting mix at the Sosua bars!!!

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Rocky's 4th of July BBQ Extravaganza

@ Rick,

If you are making up a lot of dressing, we used to use a paint-mixer attached to a variable speed drill to mix it up in 5 gallon buckets. We used to go through 20-30 gallons or more of dressing a week in high season and it made the task A LOT easier. You can't use the expensive immersion blenders because it takes the texture out of the bleu cheese. I would think you can get the paint mixers at the hardware stores there no prob for under $15. You can also get smaller ones for making up gallon batches. 5 gallons is about 300 servings.

sn102-02_med.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Peter. Right now, all the sauce is prepared by hand but as the demand goes up, other ways of preparing it will need to be looked at.

Not that I don't appreciate the discussion going on in this thread about football and all the great World Cup action that is going on right now, (By the way, Rocky's is the only venue in Sosua right now showing the 7 AM games, all on our new big screen) but we really need to know who wants to attend the 4th of July BBQ Extravaganza. Please cut and paste the list of attendees and place your name below those already on the list so we know who will be attending and how many.

This BBQ has been extremely popular in past years and we definitely want to continue the tradition. So please, let's keep this thread on topic so we can make sure this year?s event is bigger and better than ever.

Thank you all and we hope to see you all soon,

Rick

Mar 2, 2008
I'm afraid I am responsible for all the wayward posts, since initially related my post to the England/USA World Cup match as a segue to the main topic, which is of course the 4th of July celebration at Rocky's.

My bad.

I hope to see you all there July 4. It should be fun.

By the way, I will also be at Rocky's this coming Friday to watch England in another match. And this time I will be routing for Merry Ol' England, long with my new found friend, Colin. Cheers!

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Rocky's 4th of July BBQ Extravaganza attendees.
Dafishguy (2)
Catcherintherye (2)
Rick Roth (2)
Marco (2)

Please post your name as soon as possible if you are able to attend this annual event. Help us make it the success it has been for so many years.

Thanks folks and I hope to see you all here.

Rick

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007

The way I see it, England will go through as #1 of Group C and (Hopefully) the US will go through as #2. .....Ta-tah!!!

HB

This Irish-American is Laughing Out Loud - The Brits are Leaving, The Brits are Leaving....... jejeje

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007

The way I see it, England will go through as #1 of Group C and (Hopefully) the US will go through as #2. .....Ta-tah!!!

HB

This Irish-American is Laughing Out Loud - The Brits are Leaving, The Brits are Leaving....... jejeje

Hows that Goal Differential tie-breaking looking to you NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.