How rare are Broad-Billed Tody's ?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Anybody know these birds?.

Just found two in the back yard digging a hole in the dirt wall, seems they nest between April and June in dirt walls or river banks so am assuming their going to nest. Kinda neat, even neater if their rare.

Just asking as it's the first time I've ever seen them.

Broad-billed Tody on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (Not my photo/bird).

LT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Great picture and beautiful bird. Take care of it!!

The name is interesting. Barrancol?...and it nests in 'barrancas" ...that makes sense..

good to know it is alive and well...

HB

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
We have many of these little friends flitting about the property. They seem to like perching in front of a window and admiring themselves along with the hummingbirds.
I have never come across a nest however. Cute little things though.
If you want a list of many of the birds on this island PM me and I will send you a link (PDF file) to view it.

May 29, 2006
I know they list them on some bird tours as one of the species you might see in the DR. Cute little fellows.

It is astonishing how few birds you see or hear in the DR. I think the anole lizards dominate as diurnal insect predators, which takes big chunk of the available food sources. There are as many as one anole per square meter in many parts of the DR, and then there are the geckos at numerous species of bats at night. I've seen hummingbirds, nectar thieves, carpinteros, egrets, parrots and a few other birds, but nothing like what you would see in the US countryside in even a half hour. I also saw more bird species in the Turks and Caicos Islands and that is a very limited ecosystem.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
coefla5631.jpg

these are quite cute and have a variety of markings - bananaquits

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
their origin been the higher elevations of the cordillera oriental,
their Broadbill version is typical for the lower elevations.

JR,
did you take the shot of the lil feddered friend with the yellow/black shirt on?
that one looks great, i never saw one of them here.
what kinda bird is he/she?
great topic and great fotos
Mike

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
im afraid my photgraphic skills are non-existant- its a caci-something , Im waiting for my book of birds from amazon