"Blackouts Seem To Get Worse".....

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Truly the definition of insanity....A problem that lingers on for years and years....why even report on it anymore?.....Now Pichardo and Lambada can give us a lecture on the bright future ahead!...Here is some English for you: What a joke!...LMAO.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
BTW....How do you build a metro that sucks up massive amounts of kilowatts with an underlying fundamental energy problem?! Talk about idiocracy!....LMAO.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
BTW....How do you build a metro that sucks up massive amounts of kilowatts with an underlying fundamental energy problem?! Talk about idiocracy!....LMAO.

Regard less the electric situation will improve in time for Navidad, and for sure in 2012 for elections. other than that no improvement. has been so for the last 20 years.

Baleguar, Fernando, Hippo, Fernando, Fernando all said it would get better and they all have lied.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
where are you living- it doesnt seem too bad here

By far the worst week I have experienced in 2 years living in Bella Vista.

Elections are over, no reason to appease the people, back to the usual DR mentality.

As one mod said-"the DR is not a 3rd world country, yet a country in transition", but he didnt say in what direction. I guess that is obvious.

To put the DR in its respective place as for comparisons; we must all agree electricity is a basic need, unlike IKEA, BLUE MALL, etc. etc.
Now for what we pay monthly for electricity and the costs of up keep and purchase of Inversols, batteries= what we actually receive for elctricity regularity. Where does this put the DR in relation to other Latin America or any 3rd world country for that matter?????? Any idea??? maybe Azerbaijan?

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Strange activity going on the last few days here in Arroyo Hondo. Now we are seeing an in and out of the electricity over minutes. Protect your electrical equipment with battery surge protectors! It is unfortunate that this problem continues on indefinitely. The only option is to look for alternative energy sources to get 'off the grid'. Solar panels are very expensive. Best bet is just the inversol-planta combo, but that costs us a mighty sum over time to maintain. In the meanwhile, let's open up some new malls and pretend it's a paradise! LOL.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes at times you cant help to question what's really going on here.

Bella Vista used to be an area with pretty much fulltime electricity. Now it seems to go out for most of the day and all of last night, and of course this means the only water is from the Tinaco.
Somehow my Edesur bill has gone from 2200 to 5200 over 6 month period for this adventure which compares to camping.
An expensive city which cannot provide even the most basic necessities.
The people and the government should be embarrassed by the lack of progress over the past decades.

lucas08

Sep 6, 2005
Blackout is nothing new to this country. Bella vista had the worst blackout in many years( around 8 hours). I was told by a goverment officials that the problem is not that they cant provide electricity all the time... is that they dont want to. As long the poor people doesnt pay for electricity.. blackout will always happend. There is no way the goverment can pay for all the people that steals electricity. Until that day happens... i guess this will always continue.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Has a study ever been done to find out the overall % of energy that is stolen ?
I don't see a way that the government can stop this, as soon as a line is disconnected, it's put back up. What is a person to do when they don't have a peso in their pocket and electricity is a basic necessity. I will never condone theft of any kind, but if you put yourself in a very poor persons position, what are their options......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The CDEEE publishes these sorts of stats, but I have no idea how accurate they are.

First of all it has to be noted that part of the theft is by non-paying large/corporate clients.

But I don't accept the "poor people without a peso in their pocket" argument. Even when the PRA was trying to get people in the barrios to pay by subsidising their bills down to a flat rate of something like RD$150 per household, they still couldn't stop the large scale electricity theft. Meanwhile practically every Dominican owns a cellphone - arguably lower down on the list of basic necessities - and pays for using it.

Despite some efforts by Marranzini, the authorities still seem afraid of enforcing power bill payment at either end of the scale.

rvancil

Feb 2, 2009
It's been pretty spotty here in Mirador Norte too, must have gone out 5 separate times today! Thank god for dual planta's!

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
solar panels

does anyone have any pricing on what solar panels cost for the average sized villa?

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
funny. this just reminded me of an EIU report i read last year, where they said that the dominican people would measure leonels presidency on whether or not he would be able to solve the electricity problem. as a matter of fact, they said he would have to solve it or else the pld would lose power.
than again, they also predicted the prd would win the 2010 elections in a landslide.
hilarious, just goes to show you that these people have no clue of the country they are reporting on, and yet, they sell this stuff for 400 dollars a month.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Has a study ever been done to find out the overall % of energy that is stolen ?
I don't see a way that the government can stop this, as soon as a line is disconnected, it's put back up. What is a person to do when they don't have a peso in their pocket and electricity is a basic necessity. I will never condone theft of any kind, but if you put yourself in a very poor persons position, what are their options......

The law is the law and should be treated as such whether rich or poor, no?

Food is also a basic necessity-so if people without pesos stole from Nacional, should this also be overlooked. Or better yet, set up a system like the electricity program. The poor can steal food and Nacional just keeps a running account of those losses, and then when a perceived middle class, gringo, or whoever that can afford to pay-pays a portion of the losses as a result of said thefts.. Soon thereafter we will all be poor and then who will ante up???

I suspect this isnt the only country in the world with poor people. Could you imagine the effects if all other inpoverished countries were run like the DR.
Sorry im venting-just reminded i have to pay my edesur tomorrow at another huge increase and daily blackouts.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I think we can all agree that electricity is a necessity.
If the government or EdeNorte figure out a way keep the poor from getting the electricity they need, I believe the crime rate will go way up so these same people will be able to pay with there ill gotten gains. I never condoned theft of any kind, but I am a realist and being such, I think the government and EdeNorte should first concentrate on the large companies and corporations here that are also stealing the electricity. If a person is hungry or living in darkness, they will do whatever necessary to resolve their problem.
I have never been hungry, and I have never gone without electricity or any necessity in life, but I really don't know to what extent I would go, if the occasion arose.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
No,
i do not see electricity as a necesity to suvive in life.
sure i would agree to governmental measures to subsidies to poor people's electricity connection, no problem on that,
but what is sold for a price, subsided or not, should be paid or get's cut off.
otherwise nobody could make any business with any services provided, b/c people would simply just not pay and instead steel those wished services.
to own a cellphone, run a TV, even a Fridge or have electricity is not a basic need in human life, just in My Opinion of course.
basic needs for life for the poorest are access to clean drinking water, providing basic foods, and the access to effordable Propane to cook.
TV, Radio, Light Bulps, Cellphones etc are luxury when we talk about the poorest/basic needs of human life.

sure i appreciate 24/7/365 electricity for my TV's, fridges, cellphone chargers, ceilling Fans etc etc,
and i have it.
it comes with a high privce to pay for but i get it deliverd where i live on the Isle,
in the lil Town of Cabeza de Toro.
yes, we have sometimes overpowers on the lines and i have right now one computer burned due such.
i knew all that before i moved down here, so i accepted the circumstances as acceptable and moved.
others moved to areas where electricity is not available all around the clock,
and that's not some new kind of occurance there, those blackouts been common there long before the persons decided to relocate in those areas,
why complain?, could have been researched before the relocation easily, it is written all over the Net and the Papers that this country has in many areas many long lasting blackouts of electrical power.

it is a big problem with the elec theft all over, yes,
and not easy to handle, because costy to control.

i do not know how to solve such, that's out of my knowledge,
but the ones caught stealing those services should of course simply get cut of to protect the paying customers.

just my 2 cents on elec
Mike

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
You know what they say: When all you've got left is hope, then you've already lost. Admittedly, the tribe's camp has been better the last few days as the temps dropped reducing usage.

Hope for fewer hours of blackouts
Electricity services have suffered major interruptions of late, and the reasons are suspected to be financial. Nonetheless, the Public Electricity Corporation (CDEEE) says there will be an improvement later in the week when Itabo and Haina Gas generators re-enter the system. The CDEEE attributed the blackouts to Itabo II that is down for technical problems and to construction works for the second metro line and the Duarte Corridor tunneling. Long blackouts are increasing the cost of doing business, primarily because companies have to pay for expensive back-up measures.
Today's Listin Diario reports that little has changed when it comes to the quality of power services in the DR. The newspaper comments on the blackouts, the high electricity rates, the power distribution companies deficits, electricity theft by consumers of all sizes, and the mounting government subsidies.
Ignacio Mendez of the Federation of Industrial Associations told the Listin that the power distributors would be more efficient if the government subsidy did not exist. CDEEE executive vice president Celso Marranzini says that he has always criticized the subsidy. He said that these resources would be better used if they were spent on finding a permanent solution.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You know what they say: When all you've got left is hope, then you've already lost.
It's also said the most dangerous animal on the planet is a man with nothing to lose but his pride.

If the DR gubmint cracked down 100% on electric thieves, there would be riots in the streets...literally.