an apartment in the colonial zone

C

carribbeanprincess

Looking for a small clean apartment in the colonial zone for a year lease.

Does anyone know who I need to contact?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Listin Diario usually has the best real estate listings..

If you do not have a Dominican guarantor, it will be harder for you to find an apartment... so if you can get that lined up first, it will be easier for you.

There are some folks here who live in the Zona and may know of places so keep posting and asking......

C

carribbeanprincess

Thanks all.

Does the diario have online listings?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
yes.. but the search for specific neighborhoods does not work so you have to just look for the Zona or Gazcue...You are not going to find a lot of listings for the Zona since there really are not that many apartments for rent there. More family homes and hotels.. There are some that are furnished and geared to expats but I found that they were very small and expensive compared to Gazcue.

There are some posters here who may help you out in the Zona if you keep pestering them,..,

But really

IMHO Gazcue is a nicer place to live.. more room to walk, nicer sidewalks, better services... and only a ten mionute walk...

But you really have to WALK it,, or drive it ,. to figure out the neighborhoods because they change block by block]

I would recommend Hostal Plaza Yu on Pasteur off Santiago for a month,, it is a nice family run place with studio apartments complete with all appliances, very secure, away from the hustle,.. safe to walk and close to good public transport.. Just nest in there for a month.. get your good shoes and map and the Listin and walk about...

that is the best way, I think

C

carribbeanprincess

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Is IMHO Gazcue an apartment building or an area? If it is an area, can you recommend a good building there?

I checked listin Diario and there is no listings for Zona or Gazcue.

Is there a better way to search for these apartments?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Gascue

Gascue is a neighborhood, just west of the colonial zone. You also might try looking in ciudad neuvo neighborhood also. Ask in the colmados for a "corredor" who might help finding an apartment.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Thanks for all the helpful information.

Is IMHO Gazcue an apartment building or an area? If it is an area, can you recommend a good building there?

I checked listin Diario and there is no listings for Zona or Gazcue.

Is there a better way to search for these apartments?

Gazcue is an area/ section. IMHO is an acronym for In My Humble Opinion.

Good luck.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
IMO opinion like anything else you need to be on the ground. Setting up viewings from abroad is not going to work and probably pointless. Get into an Aparthotel and spend a week checking out what you want. Most places for rent have signs on the balcons so just take your celular and call the apartments you like the look of. I don't like agents in Santo Domingo, I have founf them to be less than helpful and work you from the crap upwards until they strike something acceptable for you, instead of giving you what they probably already know you are looking for, and they are more expensive than going at it with the landlord directly.
Just be careful doing it that way and try to be sure you are completely aware of what is expected of you annd what you are entitled to.

C

carribbeanprincess

finding an apartment

Guys,

Thanks again for all the help.

What does it mean ask at the colmados for a "corredor" ?

C

carribbeanprincess

finding an apartment

Guys,

also, is anyone familiar with the Evaristo Morales area where the Gold's gym is at? Is that a walking area?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Guys,

also, is anyone familiar with the Evaristo Morales area where the Gold's gym is at? Is that a walking area?
'

Ok Princess,, I know just where you are... You are sitting there saying "I gotta get a home, I gotta get a nest." See, most guys do not think like this. They are just fine winging it in an aparthotel for years.

When I first got to the Capital.. four years ago,. I was just in the same place... Sitting in my aparthotel .. scanning the paper... and saying "gotta get a home gotta get a home" and then I realized that I was perfectly safe.. that I had a home... that all I needed was to center on my life...

So I figured out what was important. I swim so I checked out the hotel pools and found the Melia to be the best... then it was really close to the English library and even the Church in case I wanted to go over and befriend the Christians (whom I generally like)... and I kept going over and walking around the hood in the day time... watching the people, watching the street life, finding out where to sit and have a cafecito, where to buy the paper... where the carros stopped off.... Then I found my first apartment .. but that is stuff of the book..

So RELAX
TAKE A DEEP BREATH

You will be fine here.

You will be safe here.

Santo Domingo is a beautiful city with warm friendly people.

You are really blessed to be coming here.

AND NOW

do the really important stuff

CHECK your wardrobe... get your shoes in order... make sure your ipod is loaded and working... get a new notebook computer as they are horribly expensive here.....

Then pack and unpack and repack

but do not worry

please\

you will be fine

we will help you when you get here

i promise

C

carribbeanprincess

finding an apartment

Guys,

Thanks for all the helpful information. How much should I expect to pay for an apart hotel for a month stay?

Also, how much will a one bedroom apartment run in the Gazcue area?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Guys,

Thanks for all the helpful information. How much should I expect to pay for an apart hotel for a month stay?

Also, how much will a one bedroom apartment run in the Gazcue area?

month at an apart hotel area of $500us to 600 depending.

Apartment in the Gazcue area will depend on the amenities. 350 and up

C

carribbeanprincess

Guys,

Thanks. Are there any apart hotels that you reccommend?

C

carribbeanprincess

renting an apartment

Hi guys,

does anyone know if rentals are registered with the government?

I know that in Columbia that is not the case, so I was wondering about DR.