1 Million have "Free" Luz

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Different way of welfare - different way to tax the people who makes more money. I would charge a different rate / kilowatts depending in the neighborhood range so that the electricity get for free on in a low cost to the poor.

JJ

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Different way of welfare - different way to tax the people who makes more money. I would charge a different rate / kilowatts depending in the neighborhood range so that the electricity get for free on in a low cost to the poor.

JJ

Thats exactly what they do in Colombia and the system is successful and everybody pays something.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

JJ
I agree with you JJ. Really, how much electricity can someone living in one of the tin roof houses consume. A refrigerator and maybe a small TV? Is seems impossible to even consider installing meters, reading them, and sending out bills. It would never, ever work.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I understand that Edenorte has opened an office in the largest barrio in Cabarete where most do not pay for electritity. It is rumored that they will install meters ( perhaps the pay as you go kind?) When everyone is signed up, they are also rumored to provide 20 hours of electricity each day. Better than the less than 12 hours they currently provide, but I guess that Edenorte doesn't realize there are 24 hours in a day.
Good laugh, seeing is believing. I have been in numerous dirt road barrios where streets have no names, houses have no numbers and don't recall seeing an electrical meter anywhere. In the USA people in need receive welfare, people in need have their utility bill subsidized. I know the DR is not the USA but give the poor people a break. Tax the well to do a little more, tax the expat even more, put a $5 electric bill fee on every tourist entering the country. I have seen my share of Dominicans who have nothing, give me a break if they "steal" electricity.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Good laugh, seeing is believing. I have been in numerous dirt road barrios where streets have no names, houses have no numbers and don't recall seeing an electrical meter anywhere.

Our house is in 'the campo' and we don't have a house number or a meter. We have a 'contract' for electric, and pay a flat rate each month. If you're not seeing meters, that may be the case with those houses too.

AE

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have no problem with the policy of letting people have electricity at a lower rate than I pay in the DR. Just keep it on 24/7. The problem is that the electricity subsidy, which currently includes allowing people to steal electricity, has not worked for many years.
Good to hear.

I doubt if anyone has an answer to 24/7. I too am often amazed how often the electricity goes out. When in rep dom I spend most of my time in Santo Domingo. The hotel I stay at has a planta and that thing must come on four or five times a day, every day. I often remember being in Supermercado Nacional in the capital and the lights going out. When visiting certain barrios and campos I don't notice the electricity problem because the people don't have electricity to begin with.

Does anyone honestly believe they will see 24/7 electricity in their lifetime?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Our house is in 'the campo' and we don't have a house number or a meter. We have a 'contract' for electric, and pay a flat rate each month. If you're not seeing meters, that may be the case with those houses too.

AE

My reference is to the tin roof shacks not a "house" in the campo. The homes I am speaking about have no windows, some no doors, and some hidden behind trees. All these home consume electricity. These are the homes I find it impossible to even consider trying to install meters or charging a flat rate. Most of these people could not afford a flat rate regardless of what it is.

May 12, 2005
The thing is there shouldn't be any blackouts like they have now. There should be enough money collected to cover the costs of generating and transmitting the electricity. Everybody should pay something. I like the idea of a flat rate monthly rate for those in the "poor barrios" so at least they aren't stealing it.

Feb 7, 2007
Good laugh, seeing is believing. I have been in numerous dirt road barrios where streets have no names, houses have no numbers and don't recall seeing an electrical meter anywhere. In the USA people in need receive welfare, people in need have their utility bill subsidized. I know the DR is not the USA but give the poor people a break. Tax the well to do a little more, tax the expat even more, put a $5 electric bill fee on every tourist entering the country. I have seen my share of Dominicans who have nothing, give me a break if they "steal" electricity.

I absolutely DON'T agree with you

Btw there is Bonogas, Comer es primero, Tarjeta solidaridad, and rumored Bonoluz.
But in many cases where does the money usually end up? Buying up fria at local colmado.

One small (functioning, non leaking) fridge and one TV and 2-3 low consumption bulbs --> maybe a 300 pesos per month bill. At the lowest rate. Considering how Bonogas is done, the government would most likely cover the first 300 pesos of the bill. But the people should be MADE to go to the office and pay the bill, even if it is with a VISA card given by the government. Because it creates RESPONSIBILITY. There's a LACK of responsibility and accountability in the DR.

It's not the same for the government to pay 300 pesos to generators, than it is to pay 300 pesos on a VISA card they give to people (Tarjeta solidaridad) and MAKE the people go to pay their bills. It creates HABITS in people.

The problem is, however, that when government subsidizes electricity directly by making transfer payments to generators, people in poor barrios DO NOT go pay bills, so what happens: talleres and small industrial operations move in to those barrios, because there is nobody that goes to read meters there and disconnect lines for non-payers. So the problem aggravates by industrial operations stealing power this way. If people HAVE to go pay for the electricity (even with subsidized VISA card) then talleres etc have to pay as well, and if not, they get cut off.

Last edited:
Reactions: bienamor

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The thing is there shouldn't be any blackouts like they have now. There should be enough money collected to cover the costs of generating and transmitting the electricity. Everybody should pay something. I like the idea of a flat rate monthly rate for those in the "poor barrios" so at least they aren't stealing it.
How does one go about collecting the flat rate. If person living in house B does not pay the bill what do you do? Send a utility truck out to disconnect the power and five minutes later they connect to their neighbors house who paid the flat rate?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........The problem is, however, that when government subsidizes electricity directly by making transfer payments to generators, people in poor barrios DO NOT go pay bills, so what happens: talleres and small industrial operations move in to those barrios,........
Then go after the industrial operations cause no way is it worth while to run after the small guy with the leaking frig and two light bulbs drinking a cold one at the colmado.

May 12, 2005
How does one go about collecting the flat rate. If person living in house B does not pay the bill what do you do? Send a utility truck out to disconnect the power and five minutes later they connect to their neighbors house who paid the flat rate?

Then how much more "charity" are the regular people going to be forced to pay to allow 24/7 luz?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The answer is prepaid cards just like phone cards. If this is done then the power company wouldn't care who consumes what as long as everything is bought for ahead of time. As I understand it this is what they do in South Africa as there are many neighborhoods that are dangerous enough that the power company doesn't go in to read meters, cut non-paying customers, etc.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Then how much more "charity" are the regular people going to be forced to pay to allow 24/7 luz?
Is the problem really money or is it an inadequate/outdated electrical grid system? I would think Santo Domingo Ciudad Centro has plenty of bucks but they still don't have 24/7. So what is the real problem?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The answer is prepaid cards just like phone cards. If this is done then the power company wouldn't care who consumes what as long as everything is bought for ahead of time. As I understand it this is what they do in South Africa as there are many neighborhoods that are dangerous enough that the power company doesn't go in to read meters, cut non-paying customers, etc.
This sounds great but how much would it cost to install a system like this? Trust me, no matter what the DR does stealing electricity is a very simple thing to do.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This sounds great but how much would it cost to install a system like this? Trust me, no matter what the DR does stealing electricity is a very simple thing to do.

I'm not completely sure about how the whole thing works, but my understanding is that it is controlled remotely with two way communication. So it sounds to me that in this scenario the company doesn't care if someone steals electricity, because they would be stealing from someone else (the person who prepaid for that line). If this is the case theft would easily be brought down to a minimum, because the person paying is not going to allow someone to hook up to their line and drain their card (just like you wouldn't give your prepaid cell phone card to someone else).

Since the payee has the meter in his/her house they could easily see if someone hooked up to their line and is draining their card.

The cost of the prepaid meters would be passed on to the consumer no doubt.

I think such system is completely fair because you pay for whatever you actually consume. Not only that, but it will also help people monitor their consumption which would lead to reduction in usage.

The government could then implement a selective way to help the poorest of the poorest, by providing them with prepaid cards.

I would imagine the total cost of implementing such a system is much less than what the government spends in a year in subsidies, payments, etc...we spend billions every year and still no reliable electricity.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I'm not completely sure about how the whole thing works, but my understanding is that it is controlled remotely with two way communication. So it sounds to me that in this scenario the company doesn't care if someone steals electricity, because they would be stealing from someone else (the person who prepaid for that line). If this is the case theft would easily be brought down to a minimum, because the person paying is not going to allow someone to hook up to their line and drain their card (just like you wouldn't give your prepaid cell phone card to someone else).

Since the payee has the meter in his/her house they could easily see if someone hooked up to their line and is draining their card.

The cost of the prepaid meters would be passed on to the consumer no doubt.

I think such system is completely fair because you pay for whatever you actually consume. Not only that, but it will also help people monitor their consumption which would lead to reduction in usage.

Yes this sounds wonderful but the very first problem to overcome would be relying on "two way communication". This would require reliable wireless communications, back to square one.

I firmly believe there is a greater problem for not having 24/7 other than a large number of barrio people stealing electricity. I repeat, what is Santo Domingo's excuse for not having 24/7?

No way am I bashing rep dom. I know what the DR is going to be like each time I board the plane. With all the pitfalls I still enjoy myself when in the DR.

dilligafny

Jan 31, 2010

thats the way to improve poor peoples lot,kill tourism so the lowest paid workers lose their jobs.Tourists already pay a $10 entry fee,plus outrageous taxes,often more than the flight itself.theres plenty of other islands in the caribbean.just saying...