Ikea/Ilumel in a Day via Metro from Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Looking at doing a furniture trip to Santo Domingo to go to Ikea and Llumel.
Has anyone done this in a day? Is it doable or crazy? What busses did you get and how did you get around?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Has anyone done this in a day? Is it doable or crazy? What busses did you get and how did you get around?

I've done it many times. Not to these stores but running errands in Santo Domingo and coming back the same day.
I would not do it driving myself... but if you take 4 + 4 hrs of riding a bus "easily"... it can be done.
I'd leave out of POP... 08:00, arrive just before noon... do my thing, and head back leaving SD at 19:00 and hit my bed just before mid nite... trashed.

I don't do it anymore. I try to spend one night there... it's 50 bucks for a simple hotel / 100 for a 4* booked online.

The bad thing with SD is, that it has no center where everything is at. If you need to DO something, it's likely to take you all across the city and back... possibly in all 4 directions. No car - cab rides. Have a car - get stuck or annoyed with the local traffic. It's not a walk in the park.

... J-D.

Reactions: anng3

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Caribe Tours better choice than Metro because they start earlier and have more buses than Metro.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
If you want to go both places the same day, is better that you live early from Sosua. lets say 6am. Caribe tours take more than 5 hours. and from the Caribe station to IKEA is about 6 miles (over 1 hour in cab at noon).
IKEA is a very big store and depend of what are you looking, it can takes easily 6 to 8 hours shooping.
I recommend to overnight in SD. Holiday Inn is a good choice and is a walking distance to both places. 3 blocks to IKEA and 1 block to ILUMEL.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks for the insight. It sure would be nice if Ikea had catalogues on the north coast. I've only seen an Ikea truck once but the next time I do I am going to see if they have one. Has anyone ever gotten a delivery from IKEA? What is the delivery charge and do they set up what you buy?

cdnresident

Jan 7, 2010
you can find the catalogue on line, they deliver and set up, the charge? you would have to call them for that.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks again for the info. I did look online at the catalogue but I'm one of those people who since the catalogue is so large and crammed I need a tactile version. I'm waiting til 9 to call and order a catalogue. For those of you who've gone what have you purchased and been happy with?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
you can find the catalogue on line, they deliver and set up, the charge? you would have to call them for that.

IKEA: They hand out a pamphlet at the registers with the delivery and setup charges.
If you have grown up near a Home Depot or Obi you will most likely not need the setup assistance.
The pamphlet is organized as zoned out map... the farther from SD the more expensive the delivery.

... J-D.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Gotta love this country! I've been calling since 9am and noone answers the phone at the number on their website 809-567-4532. Is there another number or a special day/time to call?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We bought a few things from IKEA last month and sent them via their delivery service. Under 150lbs to our zone (the farthest and thus most expensive) and the charge was RD$3,600. They delivered exactly when they said they would, phoning in advance to make sure we were at home, and followed up with a phone call the next day to make sure it had arrived OK. We didn't opt for the assembly service.

Reactions: anng3

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Trying to wedge in any real amount of shopping plus visiting/staying in the Zona might be a push for you or anyone.

If its just the shopping.... the Holiday Inn, although more costly, will have no cab fares if you walk - and you can - plus no down time in the taxi.

If its the Zona... then just do that. Easy to get to and easy to get out.

Those cabs rides will be killers from Zona to Ikea.... remember, take the cab costs and times and double them---- you need to get back to the hotel.

Makes for a long day.

I go from Cabrera... much shorter by 1 to 1 1/2 hours.... we are at Bella Vista in 3 hours or less.

WW

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Ikea

IKEA Sucks....................

I was like never been to one, never had one near when I lived in Houston, then IKEA come to SD, great I thought, finaly got to go see what all the hype is all about....................wrong IKEA sucks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
IKEA Sucks....................

I was like never been to one, never had one near when I lived in Houston, then IKEA come to SD, great I thought, finaly got to go see what all the hype is all about....................wrong IKEA sucks.

I agree with you, but we are in the minority.

WW

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
if you want good furniture forget IKEA. there is plenty of good stores in Santo Domingo. La Nacional Home Gallery, Nueva Dimension, Gonzalez Muebles, etc.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its a good place to go if you are starting a new home and need basic things like knives and forks,pans,lamps,curtains and stuff....but I dont care for the large furniture items

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Called and they no longer send catalogs. Anyone in Sosua have one I could borrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.