To protect and serve themselves!!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
A celular phone went missing in the Colmado the other day, the lady whos phone it was was quite upset, one minute it was on the table infront of her, the next it had vanished. Luckily the owner has cameras in the Colmada and so after quietly viewing the footage back in the office it was plain and clear who had taken it, a big guy sitting by the road having a drink alone.
So after confronting the guy he got extremely defensive as it went quickly from a peaceful confrontation to women getting slightly manic about the situation, anyway, the guy pulled his gun out (which are not allowed in the colmado) to threaten everyone back and he ran off up the street. The police were called and the victim left feeling quite certain that would be the last of her phone. Anyway,, the police came down, (we all know each other reasonably well as they drink in the colmado when not working, come down for karaoke and sometimes on a sunday for football) and looked at the tapes and instantly knew the guy, it was a work colleague, the petty thief was a policeman jajaja! I wasn't sure what was said to the boss after that as it was very much talk into the collar type convo's. Anyway a few hours went by and a guy turned up with the phone after seeing this man put the phone in one of the holes where they install the electricity metres.
The victim was called and she came for her phone, when asked if she wanted to take this any further she declined and was happy enough to have her phone back without making enemies with the law.

WTF is it coming to when a cop will rob a 1000pesos celular phone from a colmado table?
Sometimes I can do nothing more than shake my head in pity for these idiots.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Poverty makes people do things .... and poverty with a bit of power and a gun can be really dangerous...

plus of course... well there is a market for cell phones.. everyone knows that... \

most of those phones are not 1000 pesos but more like 4000 pesos with a camera....

i have the cheapest 700 peso phone and most Dominicans would not be caught dead with it,. No camera.. no case... no frills.. just a plain black one.l no one would want to steal it..

so that phone may well have been worth the guy's monthly salary..

like leaving 4000 pesos on the table...

would you do that?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
No, it was an alcatel (or whatever they are called), cheap no frills phone. I don't care what made him do it, there should be sufficient punishment in place to stop these guys from doing such stupid things.
I might have understood slightly better if it had been an iphone or something flash.

No excuse for a man of the law to be robbing mobile phones from tables, that is lower than anything else I can think of that they get up to.

Reactions: bob saunders

donP

Dec 14, 2008
According to Their Reputation

No excuse for a man of the law to be robbing mobile phones from tables, that is lower than anything else

Maybe, but perfectly in line what Dominicans think of their police force. :bunny:

donP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Another 'no tengo la culpa case'.
I knew it.

donP

Naw-- I think that guy who stole it is a piece of #@%$# but I also think it is stupid to put temptation in the face of underpaid street guys,, and stupid to run around showing bling

you really have me pegged as some idiot bleeding heart which I can assure you I am not

more a street savy NYer

I am actually very surprised that the vic ever saw her phone again

like girls who cry rape after they go up to some dude's room at 3 AM.. just that she was stupid

In LT I used to watch them buy them over the counter at the Orange Store

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Luckily where I live it is pretty close knit and everyone looks out for each other and shows a certain amount of respect for others. That saying obviously we get a$$holes like this occasionally and sometimes the barrio bother boys come down from the hill to get out of control drunk and fight, buit besides that it is nice. Not all areas would expect a return a out of the goodness of their heart.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
No, it was an alcatel (or whatever they are called), cheap no frills phone. I don't care what made him do it, there should be sufficient punishment in place to stop these guys from doing such stupid things.
I might have understood slightly better if it had been an iphone or something flash.

No excuse for a man of the law to be robbing mobile phones from tables, that is lower than anything else I can think of that they get up to.

ok, I stand corrected...

I got shot at once comng home late at night with a friend in Gazcue -- he rolled down his window to tell on oncoming car that he was going the wrong way -- (we in the SUV the other a smaller car) and the two Dominicans started to fight a bit --my friend threatened to call the police, the other guy then pulled a gun and said "I am the police" -- and as we turned the corner, we heard two shots,,,..
He called the next day to say that there were two bullets in the car, one in the headliner over my head and one in the bumper,,,,

So.....

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Two Rats

I am actually very surprised that the vic ever saw her phone again

When I was still new to this country a thief broke into our (rented) house and stole my cell phone. It was one of those whose use you paid by 'factura' and we had it blocked by Codetel immediately.
The next day we were told to come to the police station where a well-known thief was already waiting outside.
The 'teniente' said we 'had to buy' our phone from that guy...
Both were rather angry when I told them to keep it. :)

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Girls at Orange?

like girls who cry rape after they go up to some dude's room at 3 AM.. just that she was stupid
In LT I used to watch them buy them over the counter at the Orange Store

I know Las Terrenas is quite a rotten place....
But girls over the counter??? :eek:

donP

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Amazing:angry:

You know, there are some things I do not even bother to tell family and friends not in the country as I am positive they would think I was making stuff up.
Infact did I not live here I think I would have trouble accepting some crazy things that go on as truth.

You've gotta love it!!:rambo:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Poverty makes people do things .... and poverty with a bit of power and a gun can be really dangerous...

plus of course... well there is a market for cell phones.. everyone knows that... \

most of those phones are not 1000 pesos but more like 4000 pesos with a camera....

i have the cheapest 700 peso phone and most Dominicans would not be caught dead with it,. No camera.. no case... no frills.. just a plain black one.l no one would want to steal it..

so that phone may well have been worth the guy's monthly salary..

like leaving 4000 pesos on the table...

would you do that?

a. the guy who took it thought nothing of it. It was a phone and I could probably call my folks in NY with it until the minutes ran out.
b. the person who lost it thought nothing of it until it was gone.
c. Some people are straight others are bent. I left my bag in a book store on time when I was using the internet. I forgot all about it until way after they had closed when I was looking for a pen(and my digital camera which was in the bag). I was upset because I was thinking man that camera is gone but when I went there the next day the guy who works there put it on the copier behind the counter and the contents were untouched.
d. Most of the relations I have with women here come to an end because of the "difference" we encounter with respect to the "fancy phone".

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
yes, see// I am losing my ability to read and write English.

And I do not really think that my Spanish is getting any better.

Don't beat yourself up over it. It's happening to me too. :dead:

On another note, this thread is reason numero uno why we don't stop at police check points, just a slow roll by, turn interior lights on, a haughty look of impatience and an orderly wave.