Dominican Proficiency With Big Knife

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I hope some time you can film a Dominican guy cutting cabbage using a piece of inner tube (rubber air chamber that goes inside the wheels of some vehicles) to protect his hand from the sharp knife.

JJ

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That was very cool Ken. Amazing how they don't slice of their fingers!

Thanks, Robert.

I asked the guy peeling oranges about that. He laughed and said when he was learning to do it he sliced his fingers a lot, but he has all of them.

I think the guy removing the hard shell from a coconut is at even bigger risk because he is swinging that machete with a lot of force and without hesitation. I'll have to ask him whether he has ever cut himself, but I know from observation that he has all his fingers.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I hope some time you can film a Dominican guy cutting cabbage using a piece of inner tube (rubber air chamber that goes inside the wheels of some vehicles) to protect his hand from the sharp knife.

JJ

I've never seen that, where is this done?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I asked the man who sells coconuts at the beach if he ever cut himself. He said not even when he was starting. But he said he is faster now than then because of all his practice.

He told me his record is preparation of 350 drinking coconuts in 30 minutes. It seems a hotel in Cabarete was planning a special activity and asked him to bring several hundred drinking coconuts. He brought 350. The man in charge of the activity said he would buy all he got ready in 30 minutes. They were ready when the man came back in 30 minutes for the coconuts.

I doubt he could take the hard shell off anywhere near that number of mature coconuts in 30 minutes.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I've never seen that, where is this done?
Every city in DR have a fruit and vegetables market; This should be a guy or an old lady, expert slicing cabbage holding it with the left hand using the protection above mentioned and in the right hand a very sharp knife that they move in a fast circular motion...
I have seen this many times.

JJ

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I tried de husking a few coconuts once - you need a static spike to impale them on and the strength of ironman to rip the shell off, but apart from that its fairly easy....ahem I decided I didnt like coconut that much to try anymore than four lol

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I tried de husking a few coconuts once - you need a static spike to impale them on and the strength of ironman to rip the shell off, but apart from that its fairly easy....ahem I decided I didnt like coconut that much to try anymore than four lol

Now that you have seen how easy it is to de husk a coconut with a machete, why not give that a try?