• Thread starter carribbeanprincess
  • Start date

getting in

C

carribbeanprincess

Hi guys,

I heard that you need a return ticket when flying into Santo Domingo. is that true and who enforces that?

Also, how is the customs and immigration when flying into the capital?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Shouldn't need a return ticket although sometimes the agent might only sell you a return. Lots of people use one ways and never have a problem.

Nothing to worry about at customs.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The return ticket is a matter of airline policy. It is a result of regulations making the airline issuing a one way ticket to a foreign passenger be financially responsible to return the passenger to his foreign point of origin, should that person be destitute and is required to leave the country. Hence, the insistence of the airline to tender a round trip ticket. The incentive is to get the payment up front rather than no payment at all.

Regards,
PJT

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Legally, apparently if you are not Dominican or have a valid residency, you would be required to have a return ticket.
Usually it would be the airline at your departing location which will check on your citizenship/residency status and require you to purchase a return ticket should you not qualify as a legal resident. Why? Because if you are turned away/denied entry into the DR for the lack of residential privileges, it is the airline which brought you in which will have the questionable pleasure of taking you back out of the country.

That been said, I have never been asked to show a return ticket by the local immigration controls, even before I could show a residence card. But American Airlines always asks me to prove that I have residential status when flying in without a return ticket.

... J-D.

C

carribbeanprincess

Guys,

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Is there a limit on how much U.S dollars can be brought into Santo Domingo that is enforced by the Dominican customs?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Last edited:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I though it was less than $ 10,000. For that reason I flew with $ 9,999.00 in my pocket I gave a Dollar away at STI before to enter the immigration area.

haha

JJ

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I know if you are leaving from the US and do no have your Dominican Residency the airlines will not let you board unless you have a return ticket.

If you are reallly stuck and are hell bent on flying one way with no return then buy a full priced refundable return ticket and cancel it when you get here (there will most likely be a fee to do this).

Bob K

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I though it was less than $ 10,000. For that reason I flew with $ 9,999.00 in my pocket I gave a Dollar away at STI before to enter the immigration area.

haha

JJ

Yes you're right JJ. The way to get a quick answer around here is to post one that isn't 100 % correct of course.;)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I know if you are leaving from the US and do no have your Dominican Residency the airlines will not let you board unless you have a return ticket.

If you are reallly stuck and are hell bent on flying one way with no return then buy a full priced refundable return ticket and cancel it when you get here (there will most likely be a fee to do this).

Bob K

This is a common misconception, but it is not true. It may happen some of the time or even be a law/rule, but I don't know anyone who was ever denied boarding from the US without a return ticket...considering probably 50 or so trips of different American travellers who flew to the DR with a one way ticket or the return portion of a round trip originating from the DR...

As I said, it may be in the books, but it doesn't seem to be enforced...that being said I am not encouraging anyone to do anything illegal or detrimental to their trip! ;)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have flew in from Newark a few times without a return being needed. Like above said, I think it is something maybe overlooked as in the end a ticket doesn't define whether someone will return of not, flights out of the country are cheap enough.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes some time people is denied from boarding the plane. I know this for sure as I stood waiting for the last passenger to exit the airport many times at STI and my customers never showed up only a phone call telling me they were stuck somewhere trying to get a return ticket to catch the next plane to STI.

JJ