Things To Do in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Hi,
I've booked my trip to Cabarete from Sept 1-11. We will be staying at the Barefoot Beach Pad, we got a great deal on a studio there. Since the hotel is a ways out of town, I'm interested in renting bicycles. Can you recommend a place? Also which is the best SCUBA dive company? And finally, I'd like to swim with wild dolphins but I am not so stupid as to try to do it without a guide as it can be dangerous. I saw there is a tourist attraction with a dolphin experience, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I'd like to get in the water with a friendly pod and if they want to interact with me that's fine, if not that's cool too. Is there anything like this available in Cabarete or the surrounding areas? Thanks again for all your responses!

Dandman

May 17, 2004
Get a map

Having spent some time in Cabarete, the best thing to do is get a map and find some place else to visit. It is awful.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
dandman - wouldnt it be better to suggest somewhere else - it would be a lot more constructive

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Nothing wrong with Cabarete, lovely beaches, good restaurants, easy access to visit other places. Someone with a bit less grey hair than me can tell you about the night life! LOL

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
Well Dandman, I actually did a fair amount of research as to which part of the DR would be best for the trip I'd like to take, and Cabarete seemed the best choice. It's actually one of Lonely Planet's Top 5 places to visit in the DR (Punta Cana is NOT one of them, btw) We're not looking for some kind of luxury vacation, we aren't offended or disgusted by poverty or prostitutes or drug addicts, so if those are your complaints about Cabarete they're not of much concern to us. We're not coming to the country to judge, we want to spend an inexpensive vacation on a beautiful beach, we want to speak Spanish and learn about local culture, and we want to do something radically different from what we do here in Denver, Colorado. We're going to Cabarete, plane tickets bought, hotel room booked, and so far I couldn't be happier with our decision. Thanks for your input, but I think we chose the right place :)

And actually I appreciate your input on the bikes, oriole100. We debated whether or not it would be safe since the roads are so different there. We will definitely investigate everything before we make any choices about transportation. If we feel comfortable enough, maybe we will rent bikes or scooters. Thanks for the links DavidZ!

Random question: Do they make their own rum in the Dominican Republic or is it imported? Just curious.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
cabarete is an excellent choice for a vacation, and yes Dominicans make the best rum on the planet.....

colorado guy

Mar 1, 2007
what to do ???

Cabarrete has all you mentioned in your last post. But has a lot of what your looking for to, I think. You can rent bikes at several places Iguana Mama comes to mind, I use to ride my bike with my son from Perla Marina to Cabarrete on the old road. About 80% of it is very nice beach with nobody around, pack some water, snacks whatever. I'm sure you'll love it.
This country has so much to offer. You can climb to over 10,000 feet. I know your from Colorado but they have real mountains here. Great places to mountain bike. You can parasail, kite board. wind surf. scuba dive and go out on the town all in the same day!
As far as interacting with dolfins in the open ocean... hey thats a gift from god. The only other way is with confined dolfins, still way cool.

Suerte

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Random question: Do they make their own rum in the Dominican Republic or is it imported? Just curious.

We in the Dominican make our own rum and we roll our own cigars just like Castro is teaching Elian Gonzalez to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.