Documentation required for children

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
Hello, I am wondering if people could share their experiences when traveling from the DR to Canada with your child alone. I am getting his passport, but my wife probably cannot come for the visit due to stringent visa rules. So, for those of you that got a Canadian passport for your child and traveled alone to Canada, how was the experience with the Dominican officials in the airport and the Canadian customs in Canada? Any advice on how to prepare?

Thanks.

summertime101

Nov 12, 2008
Travelling with Canadian child

I am Canadian. I have travelled to and from DR with my Canadian son 4 times in last 18 months. We also have different last names. I have not been asked once for a notarized letter from father on Dominican side. However, when I re-entered Canada on one trip Cdn. immigration asked me if I had a letter and I said "oh geez, sorry I think it's in my suitcase". Plus what was he going to do.....not let us back in our own country.

To avoid any problems, all you should need is a notarized letter from the mother stating that she is aware and gives you permission to travel with your child from date xx to date xx.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I am Canadian. I have travelled to and from DR with my Canadian son 4 times in last 18 months. We also have different last names. I have not been asked once for a notarized letter from father on Dominican side. However, when I re-entered Canada on one trip Cdn. immigration asked me if I had a letter and I said "oh geez, sorry I think it's in my suitcase". Plus what was he going to do.....not let us back in our own country.

To avoid any problems, all you should need is a notarized letter from the mother stating that she is aware and gives you permission to travel with your child from date xx to date xx.

that's what is required by Dominican Law to prevent children trafficking, which is sorrily not a unusual thingy in Latin American Countries.
what could happen without the Paper?
a possibility would be that Dominican Authorities do not let you pass, so you miss a already paid for Flight, get during the next days that letter, pay for an other Flight ticket and go home then.
Mike

hi3cmz

Oct 19, 2009
So how about children born in DR, but without DR passport, when leaving this country? under new constitution, my son have to wait until 2013 to get his dr passport (because his mother migration status), in the Migration web states that foreign child just pay penality to leave, but his new passport has no entry date sealed yet, or maybe I can tell custom that he is dominican but without passport, then, I will need migration permit, which is 2 grand, and may not needed...

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
After a bit of investigating...I understand that all you need for your Dominican born son to leave the DR is a passport for the country of destination and a letter from a lawyer where your spouse gives you the power of attorney over the child.

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
one other thing....perhaps the moderator of this forum who is a lawyer can offer his opinions. It would be appreciated.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
It is a bit more complicated than just a letter from a lawyer. You need a document from immigration to exit the country. My daughter was born here and with a Canadian passport, but I still need legal papers and permission from dad to get out of the country. In about 3 days the legal papers are ready at immigration. First you need a lawyer to make a document stating that dad gives permission and take this document to be legalized. Later take this document and the following to immigration:
- Copy of passport for kid and parent travelling
- Copy of visa or residency for both kid and parent travelling
- Original birth certificate + one copy
- 2 pictures 2x2
- Copy of cedula from other parent
Cost: $1000
VIP: $2000
I travel each year and they ALWAYS ask for this paper so I would not recommend travelling without it.

DGM - Servicios - Certificaciones - Permiso para Menores

hi3cmz

Oct 19, 2009
Ohh, thanks Juanita and philo, so this exit pass is valid for one exit, or multiple exits? it will expire?

sarita

May 5, 2005
what if u child was born here DR then went to live in uk at 8mths old then came back at 2 years old and is now five and u have no idea where his dad is or how to contact him but u know he is not in the country? how would u travel then with out permission from dad? to be honest ive never been asked but dont want to risk it either xxx

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
what if u child was born here DR then went to live in uk at 8mths old then came back at 2 years old and is now five and u have no idea where his dad is or how to contact him but u know he is not in the country? how would u travel then with out permission from dad? to be honest ive never been asked but dont want to risk it either xxx

I guess that means you are the Alone Parent in charge of the Child,(sorry, I don't know the english words for the situation when after a divorce etc only One of the parents gets the rights to be the One in charge for the younggun).
with those papers translated and legalized you would not need any permission of Daddy of course, just that paper.
If the Father, of whom you don't know where he is, is officially still a in charge Part of the Parents for the Child, then the Gubmint leaves it to your responsabilty to get those papers done, otherwise each Childtrafficker could simply say he/she doesn't know where the father is.
cheers
Mike

sarita

May 5, 2005
I guess that means you are the Alone Parent in charge of the Child,(sorry, I don't know the english words for the situation when after a divorce etc only One of the parents gets the rights to be the One in charge for the younggun).
with those papers translated and legalized you would not need any permission of Daddy of course, just that paper.
If the Father, of whom you don't know where he is, is officially still a in charge Part of the Parents for the Child, then the Gubmint leaves it to your responsabilty to get those papers done, otherwise each Childtrafficker could simply say he/she doesn't know where the father is.
cheers
Mike

hi the kids live with me and have had nothing to do with their dad for 3 years, like i said i dont know where he is or how to contact him, however i never went for sole responsibility and i dont know how to get it or if it is even possible but thats another post.

any ideas? or do u know of any lawyers that will advise me on my rights free or cheaply? thanks xxx

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi the kids live with me and have had nothing to do with their dad for 3 years, like i said i dont know where he is or how to contact him, however i never went for sole responsibility and i dont know how to get it or if it is even possible but thats another post.

any ideas? or do u know of any lawyers that will advise me on my rights free or cheaply? thanks xxx

for the Law counts that you do not have sole responsibility, so you need the papers other posters mentioned to be allowed to travel with the kids.
to get sole responsibility you should consult a Layer to get that at Court, such service will sure not be for Free.
pass by a Family Court and ask their office for requirements/documentations etc needed from your side for such things.
doesnt sound like a easy case to me.
good luck
Mike

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
It is a bit more complicated than just a letter from a lawyer. You need a document from immigration to exit the country. My daughter was born here and with a Canadian passport, but I still need legal papers and permission from dad to get out of the country. In about 3 days the legal papers are ready at immigration. First you need a lawyer to make a document stating that dad gives permission and take this document to be legalized. Later take this document and the following to immigration:
- Copy of passport for kid and parent travelling
- Copy of visa or residency for both kid and parent travelling
- Original birth certificate + one copy
- 2 pictures 2x2
- Copy of cedula from other parent
Cost: $1000
VIP: $2000
I travel each year and they ALWAYS ask for this paper so I would not recommend travelling without it.

DGM - Servicios - Certificaciones - Permiso para Menores

In regards to the copy of visa or residency for both kid and parent, what do you mean? My boy is five months old and only has a birth certificate. And for me, I have a Passport and my birth certificate.

Alos for the legal adviser, I was to a lawyer and he said that he could do it all...that is have the paper written and he said he would take it and get it legalized and officialized by immigration for 3000 pesos.....can he do this by himself, or do the actual parents of the child have to go there? Thanks for your advice.