Driving times San Jose de Ocoa to Valle Nuevo - Valle Nuevo to Aguas Blancas

hahm74

May 7, 2007
We'll be in the DR the end of this month. I'm just figuring out a few details yet. We'll be driving from Bahoruco to Valle Nuevo (actually Villa Pajon). I'm wondering how long to plan for this drive. Bahoruco to San Jose de Ocoa? San Jose de Ocoa to Valle Nuevo? Any idea what kind of condition this road is in now? Has it been raining lots lately? Also, while staying at Villa Pajon we'd like to visit Aguas Blancas. Just wondering how long of a drive this will be? We'll be traveling with kids, so I always like to have at least some idea of how long we'll be in the car on any given day. Thanks

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
If I was traveling with kids, I would not do this trip. I have travel the whole island and this is the worse road. 5 hours without see anything. If you have car troubles, no one is going to help you. The road is terrible.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It has been years since PJT has traveled the complete route San Jose de Ocoa to Constanza. When PJT did travel the road it was in a 4x4 and the conditions of the road required that type of vehicle to pass unimproved portions as the whole expanse is of dirt, gravel, and deeply rutted at that time. A more recent traveler would be able to provide more up to date information on the road quality. Yet, one can reasonable assume there have been no recent upgrades to the route as it is not a government priority to do so.

You are on your own if you do travel it with children, parts of this route are very remote, devoid of population, lack roadside assistance/facilities, and no celluar phone signals beyond the towns.

A safer and wiser, yet longer in distance route to Constanza from Bahoruco would be via Santo Domingo. If you were to travel to Constanza via SJO by 4x4 the travel time would be about the same, barring delays caused by road conditions.

The road from Constanza to the Agua Blanca access road is passable by car. However, the access road to the falls is extremely narrow, one lane, and requires 4x4 capabilities in certain sections. PJT has been there recently as this past March.

Regards,
PJT

hahm74

May 7, 2007
A safer and wiser, yet longer in distance route to Constanza from Bahoruco would be via Santo Domingo. If you were to travel to Constanza via SJO by 4x4 the travel time would be about the same, barring delays caused by road conditions.

The road from Constanza to the Agua Blanca access road is passable by car. However, the access road to the falls is extremely narrow, one lane, and requires 4x4 capabilities in certain sections. PJT has been there recently as this past March.

Regards,
PJT

Are you saying that it would take the same amount of time to drive back to Santo Domingo, take the 1A up, go to Constanza and then head south to Valle Nuevo?

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
Is this your first time driving in the DR? Santo Domingo to Constanza is about a 2 hour drive using the autopista. Santo Domingo to Constanza using the dirt road is aleast 7 hours. There are a lot better places to spend your time in the Dominican Republic.

hahm74

May 7, 2007
This will be our first time driving in the DR. It is our second trip to the DR. Our first trip to the DR was actually for a conference where we stayed at an AI in Puerto Plata. Had a great time pigging out at the buffet. Food wasn't great, but there was all the ice cream you could eat, and ice cream is really expensive in Antigua (where we live). Spent most of our time in the pool since we found the beach and the reef very unimpressive compared to our beaches here. Antigua really does have some of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean. We just went to the beach this afternoon, actually. So, whenever we go on vacation, we prefer to find islands that offer more than just the beach. The DR is a great choice for us with the mountains - we love mountains. We're also spending a few days exploring the southwest, because that seems like a very unique region. However, I don't really want to spend 7 hours in the car. I had read that the drive from San Jose de Ocoa to Constanza was rough, but also incredibly scenic. So, I thought it might be worth the effort. But, does it really take 7 hours??? If so, we might be better off driving back to Santo Domingo and getting to Valle Nuevo via Constanza. Any opinions on which route is better? We will have a 4WD vehicle and my husband is accustomed to mountain driving, but I'm not sure that any views are worth 7 hours of bumping over a rough road. :confused:

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I could have sworn I responded to a similar question recently. Do not go back to Santo Domingo and then to Constanza and Valle Nuevo. You'll spend a lot more time in the car. This trip will take a total of 6 hours.

From Barahona to Villa Paj?n, the total drive is half that, max 4 hours. If you have a 4x4 you are fine. The road is not in the best conditions and expect slow riding with holes and ruts, but you'll make it. Since you're going uphill, you'll be traveling even slower. Check your tires and your spare.

The road is very scenic especially if you come from Antigua. You will see vegetation gradually change from dry desert like conditions in Bani, to Pine forests in Valle Nuevo. As you reach the higher altitudes of the Cordillera Central and enter el Parque Nacional Valle Nuevo, the all out views of the surrounding valley are incredibly photo inspiring.

The drive from Villa Paj?n to Aguas Blancas is no more than an hour. The reason for this is the section of road between Villa Paj?n and Aguas Blancas is in terrible condition. If you have a 4x4, you're fine.

Obviously, the recent rains have things wet up there. This park is the birthplace of most the rivers in this country. So, it may be slippery. I wouldn't worry too much though. Enjoy Villa Paj?n and enjoy one of the highest stages the Dominican Republic has to offer.