Gangs at Las Americas International Airport follow their victims home

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
July 8, 2010.....

The Police recently confirmed that criminal gangs are operating in Las Americas International Airport and targeting new arrivals. They use motorbikes to follow their victims from the airport and then attack as they arrive home.

A report from the Santo Domingo Police reports the arrest of one gang and named the members as; Juan Jose Lora, Juan Carlos Mercedes and Jairo P?rez . They were arrested Monday night in an operation on the highway from Las Americas.

Among the latest victims are Ernesto and Nuris Skinner and their daughter Maritza, who were robbed after arriving from New York. This incident happened about a month ago in the parking lot of the Skinners' apartment block in Santo Domingo East, according to the police report .

On that occasion, four men arrived on two motorcycles and a car and stole clothes, bank cards, ID, American driver's licenses, cameras, suitcases and US$1,500 cash.

The three men arrested on Monday have admitted the offenses and given other names to the police, officials said.
Police and officials from Las Americas Airport issued a statement on Wednesday warning that there are several gangs working in the area and asked travelers to take great care when arriving home. They especially advised women not to travel alone.

Apparently the robbers are not always waiting till their victims get to their destination but will stop them in their vehicle at road junctions and traffic lights.

See, It's not all about Sosua......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isn't there a previous thread on this ?

A girl's medication was stolen in the robbery ?

Might be helpful here.

WW

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
This type of activity has been happening in South Africa for years. Sadly, we always keep a close eye on the rear-view mirrors on our trips from the airport.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If a taxi is used then they must be involved, if self driven then they need to be more aware here. Driving all that way and not noticing the same guy/guys dodging about in your mirrors deserves a ban from driving anyway, just a matter of time before you take someones front end off or crush a motorbike.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
What are the problems that you have with SDQ?

I can check-in in 5 minutes average.
I can then drink coffee downstairs for a buck.
I can smoke after immigration control.
I have never had any problems with corrupt officials.
They always seem to have plenty of officials to service customers.

I like that airport - I use it every week.

Reactions: waytogo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The worst airport in the country. Yet another reason to avoid it.

I choose SDQ any time I can..... good service, fast in/out..... better pricing.... what's not to like??

Try POP..... not good.

Samana/el Catey seems to be good, but has so little activity it's hard to judge.

WW

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008

Must qualify that - apart from the "bars of soap" incident where my 12 bars of Protex soap aroused suspicion.
Maybe I was going to make a soap-bomb??

Between us, we decided that personal hygiene was important when visiting earthquake ravaged countries and I was allowed through with the soap on humanitarian grounds.

Oh and the incident with my new passport where they couldn't prove that I had overstayed but I couldn't prove that I had not.
Fair play to them on that one though.

So overall, only 2 attempts at extortion or theft in 20 flights from SDQ - what's not to like??
Is that not a good average??:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Things are obviously on the up in the D.R!!!!

(Oh and I was charged 6 bucks for mangu one breakfast time - that is extortion if you are clinically addicted to mangu.)

Santiago is nice unless your bringing things in your luggage (electronics or stuff like that) because they put your luggage on the xray leaving the airport and then the shakedown begins for you to pay duty on it. Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata never had a problem bringing anything in and much easier to check in in SDQ and POP. STI kinda sucks Frank, I guess your just so happy to be there you dont see it my way. ;)

What are the problems that you have with SDQ?

I can check-in in 5 minutes average.
I can then drink coffee downstairs for a buck.
I can smoke after immigration control.
They always seem to have plenty of officials to service customers.

I like that airport - I use it every week.

I agree with Pedro

If a taxi is used then they must be involved, if self driven then they need to be more aware here. Driving all that way and not noticing the same guy/guys dodging about in your mirrors deserves a ban from driving anyway, just a matter of time before you take someones front end off or crush a motorbike.

If a taxi is used it doesnt nessesarily mean the taxi is involved, People need to be aware of their surroundings at all times even when in a taxi. If using a Taxi keep an eye out and if driving and you suspect you are being followed pull into a gas station,change directions and see if the car still follows you. If so drive directly to the palacio de policia not just a local pct drive directly to the palacio, I'm sure they wont folow you for to long then.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If a taxi is used it doesnt nessesarily mean the taxi is involved, QUOTE]

If he was one of the undead then it is a possabiltity he had no idea what was going on (in life, not just his rear view mirror, some taxi drivers are utter morons I'll give you that). Sure it doesn't nessesarily mean involvement, just like security gaurds aren't nessesarily involved when a house on thier watch is burgled. We can only speculate, even when a crime is solved here.

If a taxi is used it doesnt nessesarily mean the taxi is involved, QUOTE]

If he was one of the undead then it is a possabiltity he had no idea what was going on (in life, not just his rear view mirror, some taxi drivers are utter morons I'll give you that). Sure it doesn't nessesarily mean involvement, just like security gaurds aren't nessesarily involved when a house on thier watch is burgled. We can only speculate, even when a crime is solved here.

Taxi drivers are just that, they are trying to get you from point A to point B get there money and find another fare.They are not interested in cars that may be following and probably never take any notice, They also never notice because mirrors are used either as ornaments on a car or to look at oneself, not to see whats behind you.

Jan 3, 2003
And, of course, please do not forget that this kind of thing happens everywhere.

LOL, and that is your solace that it happens everywhere. You know the ENDGAME is near when comparisons are made on the order that this happens everywhere.

I continue to be amazed and astonished at the unbelievable resilience and dogged determination on behalf of ex-pats to stay in light of DAILY, yes DAILY increments of all types of violent crimes in the DR.

Crimes being perpetrated against foreigners specifically, such things were unheard of in the past. Now, the foreigners are "pollo gringos" that are sought after by these thugs coupled with an impotent and at times complicit police force and armed forces to boot.

Kidnappings, murders, home invasions, Somali-type gangland pirate-type robberies of recent arrivals from the airport-I have to give it to you guys, you're one of a kind.

Reactions: donP