Consumer Protection

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
What are the consumer protection laws here in the D.R. ?

A American friend of mine purchased a moto/dune buggy from a shoppe in Cabarete , of dubious Chinese quality. The second week , the retaining bolt to the engine broke as he was driving down the streets of Cabarete . He returned it to the dealer in Cabarete who had stated that the vehicle had a 6 month warranty. Afterwards , the vehicle never worked properly , and had to be taken to the shoppe every other day for repairs ( no exaggeration ). After about 10 repairs , the dealer , an Italian , became hostile and belligerent to my friend then began to blame him for the problem " you ride too fast , it wasn't built for the road " and many other problems. I had inquired myself about them when my friend first purchased them , thinking to buy a few for my business , but after my friend told me his horror story , I backed away from the deal with the owner who was angry and threatening as I relayed to him that I was skeptical to purchase because I think he rips off tourists and ex-pats like ourselves with few legal recourses.

He refuses to repair or refund and he is out $3,000.00 almost. Aside from online consumer complaints dealing with international trade , filing with the BBB as the business has a shoppe in Florida also , what can be done here in the D.R. abut such shady business practices. It's a total ripoff and the vehicle hasn't even been driven 100 km and sits idle because of poor quality.

I know , never buy Chinese , but he needs to know the options here. He's also contacted the U.S. Embassy as the Italian owner holds a U.S. passport.

Any other suggestions ?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I assume your friend lives here correct? So he should be used to and aware of purchasing here.

The idea of a consumer protection "organization" should be moved to the clown bin. He is probably lucky the seller agreed to do 10 repairs on the unit.

Bob K

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I was doing a bit of ROTL when I read the thread title..... This is land of CAVEAT EMPTOR... here the customer is seldom right....

Add to that that there are refurbished goods sold as new goods here.....

So the best that your friend can do is to suck it up--

but

Even in the States this guy would have trouble returning the buggy...

(The going price of them in LT was $5000, used, three years ago... s000000)

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
We're finding out that since the "buyer " is married to a Dominican , that she possibly does have recourse against the American/Italian expat owner.

Ideas ?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Did he pay with a credit card? If so then check with them to see if they will
get the money back from the merchant.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I was doing a bit of ROTL when I read the thread title..... This is land of CAVEAT EMPTOR... here the customer is seldom right....

Add to that that there are refurbished goods sold as new goods here.....

So the best that your friend can do is to suck it up--

but

Even in the States this guy would have trouble returning the buggy...

(The going price of them in LT was $5000, used, three years ago... s000000)

the chinese 150CC ones run for $3.000.- here brand New.
and they do not last long, lol.
Mike

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
My son owned a Honda and he loved it, no problems. Doe's anyone sell name brands like that here? Of course they would be more money but you do get what you pay for.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Has anyone here ever filed a complaint, or know of anyone who has, under the Consumer Protection law? Just curious.