citizenship

vigi

Jul 9, 2010
i have a question, is it true that for getting your citizenship you have to have 2 years with your permanent residency?
if i bough a property i can get my citizenchip?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm assuming you mean Dominican citizenship right?

Here's some info

If I do not meet the above conditions, how can I apply for Dominican citizenship?

Law 1683 dated 1948 and its modifications establishes that a person is eligible to obtain Dominican nationality after:
  • Having resided in the country for at least six months after having obtained legal domicile (permanent residence card).
  • Having resided continually in the country for at least two years.
  • Having resided continually in the country for at least six months and having formed a business or purchased real estate.
  • Having served in the Dominican Armed Forces.
  • Have obtained a special concession from the President which may be granted for having served the DR with merit.
Taken from DR1 - Legal

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Why do you want to get citizenship, rather than residency. Main difference is that a citizen can vote and run for office.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why do you want to get citizenship, rather than residency. Main difference is that a citizen can vote and run for office.

If you are a citizen you will never need to go to SD or Santiago to renew your residency, or pay the fee every two years. You will also have a second passport that could come in handy for business or travel. Also it carries a lot of weight if you have an accident or a police problem, as you will get bail much easier than being a resident.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
If you are a citizen you will never need to go to SD or Santiago to renew your residency, or pay the fee every two years. You will also have a second passport that could come in handy for business or travel. Also it carries a lot of weight if you have an accident or a police problem, as you will get bail much easier than being a resident.

and you are 'allowed' to serve the armed Forces, lol.
permanent Residency Cards can now prepaid for up to 10 years renewal.
I guess til the next renewal is due we will have local offices for such procedure everywhere in the different Provinces.
for the renewal of the cedula every 6 years they already started to open offices of the JCE in different areas, we have now a new one here in Bavaro, too.
other renewals like Gun Permits, Car Plates etc can already be done since around 2 years at local offices/banks etc.
the Travels to the Capital for foreigners to renew papers are soon a thingy of the past, GREAT!
I hate myself to Travel to St Dgo.
to run a business etc a permanent Residency is enough,
I don't see any advantage in the Citizenship.
a Dominican Passport could not be of any Help to Me where my German Passport would fail, and as a German you are entitled to have a 2nd Travel Passport, issued for 10 Years til the next renewal.
and as a Dominican Citizen you are like in many countries due for the Local Military Services, I just add that in case you are still a Young Person, us elderly's they don't want for that, lol.
Join the DR Army,
great Salaries, Yummy Food, some of the most beautiful Service locations on the World's Top Beaches available, 95F and no shade, lolol.

Mike

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
dr citizen can run political office
dr citizen can vote
dr citizen can travel visa free for many country ( most asian country ) for people from third world country like China, India etc)
dr citizen can fast track ( two year residency )to get Spanish(EU) citizenship ( this could benefit American who want to work in EU and UK )
dr citizen can freely travel to Cuba (this could use by American and do not worry Cuba stamp in US passport.)
when hijacking or some other event, American can show his dr passport to escape selection.
beside that, you still keep your old citizenship after you get dr one.
if you just live in dr, you normally do not need one.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
dr citizen can run political office
dr citizen can vote
dr citizen can travel visa free for many country ( most asian country ) for people from third world country like China, India etc)
dr citizen can fast track ( two year residency )to get Spanish(EU) citizenship ( this could benefit American who want to work in EU and UK )
dr citizen can freely travel to Cuba (this could use by American and do not worry Cuba stamp in US passport.)
when hijacking or some other event, American can show his dr passport to escape selection.
beside that, you still keep your old citizenship after you get dr one.
if you just live in dr, you normally do not need one.

all points correct, no prob.
but for me as the holder of also a German Passport no advantage mentioned.
and at the moment I would get hold hostage in some hostile country the American Passport would sure be the least one I would show my friend, it would be the first I would throw out of the window to not get threatened further than anybody else in the captured Group.
for american Citizens to gain the permit to Travel/work in Europe, I don't know the rules/Laws for such case, but as easy as it was for Me as a European to get such in the USA I would expect that american Citizens do not nead a Dominican Passport to easier get a European working Visa, US Citizens always been welcome on that side of the big Water, while Dominicans need some European Supporters to do so.
Mike

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
all points correct, no prob.
but for me as the holder of also a German Passport no advantage mentioned.
and at the moment I would get hold hostage in some hostile country the American Passport would sure be the least one I would show my friend, it would be the first I would throw out of the window to not get threatened further than anybody else in the captured Group.
for american Citizens to gain the permit to Travel/work in Europe, I don't know the rules/Laws for such case, but as easy as it was for Me as a European to get such in the USA I would expect that american Citizens do not nead a Dominican Passport to easier get a European working Visa, US Citizens always been welcome on that side of the big Water, while Dominicans need some European Supporters to do so.
Mike
I totally agree that it does not make any sense for German, UK, and other EU citizen. Europe welcome American to visit. For working and self-employment, there is complicated process which will cost big money unless you get job with big company in that case you will not notice it.
one can save some money for residency renewal. For german, there is complication and taking extra application process in germany is necessary to preserve german citizenship because german law normally does allow dual citizenship.

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
The OP would simply like to know if he or she can obtain citizenship after buying a property ???
Also they would like to know does the 2 year periode of residency commence after receiving the permanent residency? or does the 1 year temporary residency count towards the 2 years required?
I don't think the OP is interested in the benefits of citizenship over residency. Obviously it all depends on where they are originally from.
This is a question for Dr. Guzman. After 1 milion postes about residency and citizenship on this forum. This question is still uncleared...

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
when this question is raised every time, some people come out to point out citizen is not useful and that makes focus shift. The question is always not answered.I always read interior minister website. The requirement was 2 years residency and at least 6 month residency after permanent residency. that means temporary residency count. The process is very similar with residency process which mean sponsor and two witness. you need to provide enter and exit record from immigration in the application process according to wensite. but this detail info is not on website any more.There is investment program for fast track residency program showed on immigration department website.but I did not read anything about fast track citizenship from government website.I am very interested in this topic and very few info is available.From info from this board, I think 2 years residency requirement in which six month must be after permanent residency is hard parameter. physical present in dr is soft parameter either with legal interpretation that residency not equal physical present or ignoring it with money greasing. I just report what I read. The practice reality should be answered by mr. guzman.

i

i

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
There can be disadvantages too.
I was told that if a Brit had a D.R. passport and got into trouble in the D.R. that they would get no consular assistance.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The OP would simply like to know if he or she can obtain citizenship after buying a property ???
Also they would like to know does the 2 year periode of residency commence after receiving the permanent residency? or does the 1 year temporary residency count towards the 2 years required?
I don't think the OP is interested in the benefits of citizenship over residency. Obviously it all depends on where they are originally from.
This is a question for Dr. Guzman. After 1 milion postes about residency and citizenship on this forum. This question is still uncleared...

The two-year period starts after obtaining permanent residency.