Toiletries available in Santiago

seg527

Feb 27, 2010
Hi all,

In a few weeks I will be moving to Santiago. I have searched the forum for information about this, but haven't found anything specific to the Santiago area.

What toiletries do you suggest I bring with me in a large quantity? Can I purchase good shampoo, conditioner, face wash, deodorant, etc. in Santiago at a reasonable price?

From what I have read, I will definitely bring any make-up I plan on using, as well as tampons (from what I have read, it seems the ones there are of different quality or very expensive). Also, I believe good razors are hard to come by, so I will bring plenty.

Basically, I'm just trying to figure out which toiletries I should bring with me to last until I return to the US for a visit, and which toiletries I can buy in Santiago at a reasonable price. I understand brands will most likely be different, which is fine, as long as the quality is okay.

Thanks so much for your help!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Everything that you mention can be purchased in most all of the grocery stores here. They carry many of the name brands you would want except toothpaste. For some reason Colgate seems to have quite a monopoly here. Prices are a little higher but that should be expected. You will find all the toiletries you will ever need.
Don't waste your 50 lb limit on a suitcase of toiletries....

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You will find just about all the same brands in DR that you find in the US, with the exception of Bath & Body Works products [although I've heard that they're now available someplace in SD]. Some of the Dominican made hair products are wonderful too. You'll be very pleasantly surprised with what you'll find in the big supermarkets.

AE

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't waste you luggage space on toiletries. you can buy most things in DR albeit at high prices. anything else you can buy off the internet, really...

ray718

May 28, 2010
Save the space in the suitcase

You can purchase just about most american products in santiago. Just buy them at a reputable place, because just like in the US there are many counterfeit products. You can also try out many dominican hair and soap products, which are very good.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Au Contraire

We find that we take some toiletries back to the US with us.

One shampoo in particular.... Balboa or something - I can recognize the bottle.

I too worried about this, but no longer... its all fine and if more expensive, its not prohibitory... small premium usually.

Anyway, you'l find you use less cosmetics, etc... so its a wash

WW

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
When any of our friends/ relatives visit us here in the DR, I tell them not to bother packing toiletries which will take up valuable kilos in their luggage as they can purchase everything they need right here plus we also supply the talc, deodorant, shampoo, cleanser, toner, moisturiser etc. Would be the last thing I would worry about especially with the upmarket stores which are available in Santiago.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Listerine, aspirin or advil or aleve, vitamins and sunblock are good to bring here. They are here but expensive. Also if you want 100 per cent cotton sheets, shirts etc. they are hard to find here.

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
You can find just about everything here BUT:

Bring down a large case of contact solution if you use contacts.

I find its way more expensive down here. While you're at it bring the contacts too, they are expensive here!