Fri -Monday: What to do?

elgolfo

Jul 12, 2010
Hi there.. I will be making my first visit to the Dominican Republic later this month, arriving on a Friday afternoon along with a friend. Our girlfriends don't fly in until Monday afternoon, so we've got a weekend to explore on our own before picking them up at the airport.

We're not really sure what to do, but have been looking into the following options:

1. Drive to Jarabacoa, spend a few days hiking, checking out the scenery etc. Maybe visit Constanza.

2. Drive to Bayahibe, hang on the beach for a few days. Visit the national park. Maybe spend a night in Boca de Yuma.

3. Drive West to the beaches near Barahona (leaning against this idea, as it seems a much longer drive).

4. Visiting the Samana peninsula. (leaning against this since once the ladies arrive we'll be heading to Las Terrenas for the remainder of the week).

Any thoughts on the best way to spend Friday to Monday would be much appreciated. We like hiking, relaxing on the beach, exploring...not too interested in partying, etc.

Thanks for your suggestions!

elgolfo

Jul 12, 2010
anybody?

...any suggestions or other options would be appreciated.

We're leaning towards spending the long weekend in Bayahibe... just hoping there is 3 days worth of stuff to do there.

Thanks.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I'm surprised, based on your screenname, there's no golf in your proposed itineraries...

Assuming you're flying into SDQ:

Bayahibe is not a party town, but you're not looking for that..if you want to chill, hit the beach, eat and drink, it would be a nice weekend, you can check out La Romana, Casa de Campo, San Francisco de Marcoris...

Jarabacoa/Constanza would probably be the most interesting/exciting weekend, if you really like hiking and "roughing" it a bit.

The beaches and scenery to the west, is probably the most beautiful...and there are some awesome natural attractions out that way...Hoyo de Pelempito, Bahia Las Aguilas, Lago Enriquila, etc...but it is a pretty long drive.

As you said going to Las Terrenas doesn't make much sense, since that's where you're spending the rest of your vacation.

Spending the weekend right in the Capital is not a bad option eitherl...do some searching of past threads here and you'll find lots of ideas from museums, theaters, other historical sites, great restaurants, shopping, live music/bars, etc. You can also easily spend a day and/or night in Boca Chica or Juan Dolio for the beaches...and there is decent golf nearby ;-)

Good luck and have fun!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Assuming you're flying into SDQ:

Bayahibe is not a party town, but you're not looking for that..if you want to chill, hit the beach, eat and drink, it would be a nice weekend, you can check out La Romana, Casa de Campo, San Francisco de Marcoris...

DavidZ probably meant San Pedro de Macoris... San Francisco's a lot further north

Reactions: DavidZ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest Bayahibe with trips into La Romana. Especially to go to Dom Ham, a happening place for things Dominican...just ask for Carlitos and tell him Hillbilly sent you there...you'll never meet a nicer guy...

If there is anything "happening" in La Romana or inthe area, he knows about it...

HB

Reactions: DavidZ

elgolfo

Jul 12, 2010
Great. Thanks so much for the suggestions! Bayahibe sounds like it might be just right for us.

David Z: I am terrible at golf :)