Back from DR first time traveler

Tru-life

Feb 15, 2010
I got back from DR 4 weeks ago. I used to go to Cuba and im in love with that place, but danm now im also in love with DR...hehe

I think its just that caribbean culture i love :)

But anyways we rented a car a traveled the country. We went to Santo domingo, Las terrenas, Sosua and Santiago. From there we visited all kinds of places. It is a beautyful country, especially the nature, the beaches and the women...hehe.

I liked all of the places we went, but i must say, if you like to party ave. venezuela in Santo Domingo is the place to be, just my opinion..hehe

And im going back, for sure thinking about doing a year studying there (santo domingo) if possible, but thats a whole different thread:)

Only one bad thing was that ive read in some thread, someone mentioned that the dominicanos was the best dancers in the world, and i must say the cubans still own that price by far, so im a bit dissappointed..hehe :)

Bigears

Jul 15, 2010
I concur with your assessment of the dancing prowess of Dominicans. IMO first place to Cubans, second place to Trinidadians, close third to Jamaicans. Dominicans are far down the list, probably only ahead of Bajans. The people who think that Dominicans are great dancers are those who have not checked out the other Caribbean islands.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
But they do dance to some of the same music!!!! IMHO cubans are far superior.

Not to say that some Dominicans are fabulous dancers but most are not. They just think they are! What they do have is a passion for dance that is seldom seen elsewhere. They are born dancing.....

Reactions: mike l

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
But they do dance to some of the same music!!!! IMHO cubans are far superior.

I agree with you and think that the comparison with Cubans is fair, but with Jamaicans or Trinadians? Dancehall Reggae or Calypso against Bachata or Merengue ?

Yeah, Cubans CAN dance, omg! I was blown away when I went.

Just my 2 cents....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not to say that some Dominicans are fabulous dancers but most are not. They just think they are! What they do have is a passion for dance that is seldom seen elsewhere. They are born dancing.....

You're right, I had to laugh when I read that because I swear our grandson danced before he walked. (Now, if he only had a little talent at his favorite pasttime!) I swear as soon as he hears music anywhere he starts dancing.

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Anyone who thinks Av. Venezuela is the "happening" place is certainly not qualified to be an expert on most anything. I wish AZB would see this....certainly not the Santo Domingo I visit or would even think of visiting.

While this might seem harsh, most of this board would agree that is a touchy place to play...

HB

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Anyone who thinks Av. Venezuela is the "happening" place is certainly not qualified to be an expert on most anything. I wish AZB would see this....certainly not the Santo Domingo I visit or would even think of visiting.

While this might seem harsh, most of this board would agree that is a touchy place to play...

HB

I liked all of the places we went, but i must say, if you like to party ave. venezuela in Santo Domingo is the place to be, just my opinion..hehe

OP stated an IMO, not an "expert" advice. The guy went to Santo Domingo and liked it and was trying to share his enthusiasm with us. What's wrong with that? We all like what we like for our own reasons. Run and tell AZB dat!

Jeez...........:eek:gre:

Tru-life

Feb 15, 2010

HB

I could never be an expert when its my first time to the country, never claimed that. Just thought it was really fun going there, especialy at the open bar area (dont know the name), much more fun that the gasque area, i have just visit a small part of the city, i know.

Next time i visit then you could show me some better places and school me a little..hehe

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry dude, I an too freakin' old to party any more...It was just that Venezuela Av is in East Santo Domingo (like being on the "other side of the tracks") which is the leading drug and prostitution part of Greater Santo Domingo (Amen to the barrios of Guachupita and Capotillo etc)

Hey, you had fun...you;ll come back. That is good for the country and the economy..so be it...

It is a lot larger place than Santo Domingo...try San Cristobal, Bani and Azua the next time...

HB

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Blasphemy!!!

It is blasphemy, you are blaspheming, you blasphemer.

All things being equal, Dominicans are far batter dancers than Cubans, et al.

EmilyCaldwell

Jul 3, 2010
I am relieved to hear you had a good time and that no one ran you off the road, kidnapped you or shot you. I'm going to the DR in September and the way some of these ex-pats talk makes the DR sounds just like Colombia. So reassuring to hear from someone who had an awesome trip. Can't wait to go!

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I could never be an expert when its my first time to the country, never claimed that. Just thought it was really fun going there, especialy at the open bar area (dont know the name), much more fun that the gasque area, i have just visit a small part of the city, i know.

Next time i visit then you could show me some better places and school me a little..hehe

You aren't wrong. A lot of people go to party at la Venezuela. They've even started to set up some very cool spots like Wao. Venezuela is the place to go if you want to leave pretentious Santo Domingo behind (also if you don't want to worry weather your complexion is the right one).

abe

Jan 2, 2002
there are so many things to like about the DR, but I have to say that merengue and bachata are not among them. I have a wide ranging musical taste, but it does not embrace either of these simple and boring genres. The instrumentation is grating and the rhythms certainly not "poly" enough to support listening to for more than a few minutes.

The simplicity of these music forms means that dancing to them is easy, so I would have a hard time proclaiming that Dominicans are great dancers. Enthusiastic and devoted, indeed. But that's just my opinion and who cares? It's late and I felt like venting.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

HB

you evidently do not know what you are talking about...and I am sure that most of the board who says that,has never been there or are only safe in Gringo territory....
Venezuela is the place for all who enjoy company,music and great dominican culture.And,the best dancers on the island.

from one who goes there often.
bob

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
cant believe that people jump on someone who writes about something they enjoyed...no wonder we are only left with complainers on this board

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
cant believe that people jump on someone who writes about something they enjoyed...no wonder we are only left with complainers on this board

Thats the problem with this forum..Everyone on this board is a know it all...Only what they like is the right thing..dont do that, do this, dont move here, you will be sorry,Dont bring your black girls to blue mall..What a bunch of crap...

FYI DR1 PEOPLE, NOT EVERYONE LIKES WHAT YOU LIKE..No we are not stupid because we dont eat where you eat, or drink where you eat..No we are not low lifes because we dont hang out with all those VIP Dominicans..Maybe some peaple like dark girls, So fuc#** what. What do you care what other people do..

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Just take the board at face value Betty and ignore the douchebags, it's just the internet.

Take a break for 12 hours/days... it will do wonders for your karma.

Reactions: rice&beans