Grocery store in Punta Cana??

C

claire dupont

We are going to Punta Cana in the Bavaro area and will be staying in a villa, therefore doing most of our cooking. I need to know where to find a supermarket/grocery store in the area, and if there's a bus that goes there? I've been told their are only small convient-store type groceries nearby, and that I would have to go to Higuey to find a big supermarket/grocery. We would like to be able to purchase fresh seafood, meat, fruits and veggies. Thank you for your help. Claire

J

June & Brian

There are grocery stores on streets just back from the beach. They are not large supermarkets like we have in North America, but you should be able to find most basic things you will need. There are local stores as well as more americanized mercado on the main street that was just outside this resort. What part of Punta Cana will you be in? I have only information about the area near the Fiesta Bavaro Resort. I don't think you will have trouble finding good food. June.

C

claire dupont

Re: Grocery store in Punta Cana??- - DR ONE please comment!!

Thank you June & Brian for your reply!! DR ONE I would also appreciate your comments on this subject. I have been told by the Montreal (Canada)DR tourism board that there are no supermarkets (complete grocery stores)in the Bavaro area, that there are only(colmados)small convenient stores that carry a few grocery items. I would have to go to Higuey for the nearest complete grocery store to purchase seafood, meats,etc.. Is this true? If not, where is the supermarket located and what name does it go by? How are the costs of food in the Bavaro area? We will be staying in a villa/bungalow so we will be doing our own cooking. I really need your input! Thanks, Claire

D

DR One

The info given by the Canadian tourism office is correct. For a full grocery store you will have to travel to Higuey. Rent a car one day and visit Altos de Chavon in La Romana, Casa de Campo and shop in the large supermarkets there. It's 1-1/2 hour from Punta Cana. Then visit the Basilica de la Altagracia in Higuey. Stock up for the week.

J

June & Brian

In response to your request about grocery stores, we feel that you would be able to get almost everything you need from the small stores outside the gates of the Fiesta Bavaro resort. Most of the larger resorts are in this area. The stores were well stocked for meat, canned goods, vegetables,etc. I wouldn't say that you would need a car unless you were a long way from this area or were unable to carry a couple shopping bags. You could always use a taxi to do one large shopping per week. See if you can find out your location in relation to the Fiesta Bavaro resort.

C

claire dupont

Re: Grocery store in Punta Cana??- - THANKS DR ONE & JUNE & BRIAN!!

Thank you DR ONE & June & Brian for this important information and for responding so quickly. June & Brian, you seem to have visited this grocery, how were the prices, affordable? Prior postings on this board quoted prices in Bavaro being hurrendously expensive! What are your comments? Was there any seafood? And many thanks you guys!! Claire ;-)

L

Lyse

Re: Grocery store in Punta Cana??- - THANKS DR ONE & JUNE & BRIAN!!

The grocery store is called "Amelia or Amalia" right in front of the "Capitan Cook" restaurant, same owner,in the Cortecito village. I did not know they had fresh meat or frozen meat. The prices are good, I even buy the cigars over there (less expensive at Amelia than they are in Higuey). As for exemple a bottle of dry (seco) white spanish wine "Conde de .." is about 2 pesos less than in Higuey. When it comes to artisanat etc.. don't forget to bargain. As for the fish or seafood why don't you buy it directly from the fishermen. By the end of the afternoon (around 4) some come out of the ocean(with mask and tuba) right in front of the Capitan Cook.

C

claire dupont

Re: Grocery store in Punta Cana??- - MERCI LYSE!!!

Thanks Lyse for the super info!! Wow, this makes it alot easier for us to plan our vacation. Once again thanks to all who took the time to answer my strange question... Muchas gracias!!!