Visiting Haiti

firsttimer2dr

Jul 23, 2009
I'm currently in Sosua for a week. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to visit Haiti, and witness/capture what's left from some of the earthquake's effects and/or the affected children there. Does anyone have any recommendations? It would mean a lot to me. Thanks.

firsttimer2dr

Jul 23, 2009
I'm not a tourist. Where there's a will, there's a way. If you have any suggestions for how I can visit, pls do share. Else, I will try and find a way.

firsttimer2dr

Jul 23, 2009
For an article that I'm putting together.

Anyway, the why is less important than the how. If you folks have any ideas, pls share. Thanks.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The why could be very important.
Folks here do not take kindly to being photographed at the moment. Well, you would be a bit camera shy too if your house fell down and you only had 2 changes of clothing and nowhere to shower!
They are more than a bit sick of it - only today driving past a collapsed house, my colleague took a photo for his wife and got shouted at - people are becoming more sensitive.

You will probably have to explain yourself and the reasons had better be good.

And to be honest, most of the places where you will find what you describe are not places you would want to go without a proper plan.

Unless of course you are or appear to be Haitian.

I am not just trying to pjss on your chips here - what I say is true.

If you still go ahead then from Sosua you can get the CaribeTours bus to Santiago early in the morning and then another CaribeTours from Santiago to Cap Haitian.You will arrive just in time or a little bit too late to take the Tortugair or Caribintair crop-duster down to Port au Prince (US$85 - one way). If you miss it in the afternoon then there is one early in the morning. Fun can be had in Cap Haitian.
From the airport in Port au Prince - just follow the stink but be careful!!

The alternative is to fly from Santo Domingo SDQ with American Eagle departing at 8:35am.
That goes straight to PaP and costs around US$350 for the 45 minute flight.(rip off gits!!!)

Hotels in Port au Prince are about twice the price of Santo Domingo for less quality and comfort. They are pretty booked up most of the time these days with people like yourself. Official taxis are non-existant. You can find someone to drive you for the day but be careful about getting in a stranger's car in Port au Prince.

Downtown you will find the collapsed houses and uncleared rubble. The road out to Carrefour and Leogane has everybody's favourite camp to shake their head and tut at - the one in the median in the center of the main road.

Be careful - and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you take the earliest Caribe Tours bus to Santo Domingo you can take a Caribe Tour Bus to PAP for about 80 dollars...

I would not recommend it at all...unless you have people there who can look after you.

It in worse than you can imagine in your wildest dreams...and the frustration levels have to be going through the roof...

HB

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
True enough Mr Hillbilly.
And if you go on CaribeTours you need lots of warm clothing - cardigans and pullovers etc... it's bloody freezing!!!

That bus gets into Petionville around 5:30pm local time - which is nice because your best chance of having a trouble free time is by being in Petionville if you are a first time visitor.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Oh and come after Monday 26th because there are demonstrations organised for Saturday and Sunday and some high spirited stone throwing and window breaking for Monday lunchtime.
That would make for some interesting photos
Best not to be on the streets with a camera at this point though....

firsttimer2dr

Jul 23, 2009
Guys, thanks so much for this. I'm very grateful for all of this info.

pedrochemical, can I trouble you for a chat/discussion via PM? I'll send one off to you now. Thx.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Holy $hit balls, I have never been to Haiti, but always wanted to visit.

But reading these post are not persuading me to go anytime soon.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
To be honest, things should have cheered up a bit in a few months.
That is what we keep telling ourselves, anyway.