Metropolitana Police actively issuing ''tickets to tourists!

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
The corner of Pedro Clisante and Dr Rosen. Meanwhile they ignore serious moto-concho violations. And of course, do nothing about the 'drug trade. Penalize tourists----that is great for business!

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
The corner of Pedro Clisante and Dr Rosen. Meanwhile they ignore serious moto-concho violations. And of course, do nothing about the 'drug trade. Penalize tourists----that is great for business!

Tickets for what? Seatbelts, stop sign, one way, cellphone while driving, jaywalking or just walking down the street with ugly putas.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Me too

I got a nice seatbelt ticket in the Zona Colonial, whatever though.

How does that affect me since they did it based on my NJ drivers license. Is it added to the rental car expenses.

Mar 2, 2008
It is the selective enforcement of the laws that creates controversy and hard feelings. If everyone was treated equally then no one would be upset, and most of us could live with the consequences.

However, since tourists and ex-pats are generally selected as the convenient scapegoats (and perceived to have unlimited resources), and the more serious violations by Dominican drivers and overlooked, for the most part, it is quite natural that a level of resentment results.

I have been stopped for a seat-belt violation (which I deserved) and a traffic light violation (which I did not deserve). On both occasions, I observed other (Dominican) drivers, violating various other rules and regulations, who were given preferential treatment.

I certainly understand that in any country there are certain preferences given to natives, but as far the blatant traffic violations go, the DR has reached a new level of inequality, which is completely untenable.

More and more people are beginning to take note, and, left unchecked, this situation will do enormous damage to the tourism here.