A Gem of a Town

Feb 15, 2005
Visited Pedernales once more and found it to be a great town. If you see 5 houses with guarded windows and doors, it's too many. You see many many residents sitting outside with there doors wide opened, or inside with the doors opened. This town still has the old Dominican feel to it, definitely , the distance between the capital and here allows it to maintain, that yesterday feel to it. Everyone says hi, folks are very helpful, it has a bank, shops, nice small hotels, and a great beach.

Can't see where you would want more.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
it's definitely worth the trip....been there a couple of times and enjoyed it, and will return soon

Feb 15, 2005
It's the perfect town, for a relaxing few days. It'll be smart to reserve your hotel since there is more activity in the area with international groups, tourists, etc.

It's a 2 1/2 hours scenic drive from Barahona, straight road cannot get lost.
Take a tour of ANSE-A-PITRE on the Haiti side. If you're looking for a local guide PM me.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
It is HOT and DRY there.

That's not a bad thing, just think of Arizona and New Mexico, it's different that's all, meanwhile it's home to 3 of the 7 Wonders of the Dominican Republic: Bahia de las Aguilas, Hoyo de Pelempito and Sierra de Bahoruco... everyone I know who's been to the southwest ends up loving it and wanting to come back...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That's not a bad thing, just think of Arizona and New Mexico, it's different that's all, meanwhile it's home to 3 of the 7 Wonders of the Dominican Republic: Bahia de las Aguilas, Hoyo de Pelempito and Sierra de Bahoruco... everyone I know who's been to the southwest ends up loving it and wanting to come back...
None of those 3 places are in Pedernales.

It's an OK place, been there often. It's a stop on our SW tours I've documented here. But I've yet to have any customer say "Wow! Pedernales! What a place!"

Feb 15, 2005
None of those 3 places are in Pedernales.

It's an OK place, been there often. It's a stop on our SW tours I've documented here. But I've yet to have any customer say "Wow! Pedernales! What a place!"

If they are not in Pedernales where are they? Obviously they are not in the center of town but all within 15 minute drives from the center of town.

I took a couple that has over 300,000m2 of property in Higuey and they absolutely loved Pedernales and are contemplating buying a lot and building a house there.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If they are not in Pedernales where are they? Obviously they are not in the center of town but all within 15 minute drives from the center of town.

I took a couple that has over 300,000m2 of property in Higuey and they absolutely loved Pedernales and are contemplating buying a lot and building a house there.
15 mins from the middle of town can be pretty much in the middle of nowhere...

But I forgot you're in the real estate promotion biz in the SW.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The SW and Pedernales is dfinitely interesting and unique. But there are reasons development has been very slow in the area.

Aug 19, 2004
Certainly one of the more interesting areas of the country to visit, but how do the people of Perdenales rate it (especially the 18-25 age gorup)?

Feb 15, 2005
15 mins from the middle of town can be pretty much in the middle of nowhere...

But I forgot you're in the real estate promotion biz in the SW.

You know guy, I don't know what your beef is. You stated you didn't like the town, fine. However, you falsely stated that the three main attractions (Hoyo De Pelempito, Parque Jaragua and Bahia De Las Aguilas) are not in Pedernales and THAT inaccuracy, is what I responded to.

But PLEASE do everyone a favor, either state your facts correctly or don't post, so that travelers don't get confused while visiting the Dominican Republic.

This is just a suggestion, I will leave further responses to your error filled personal dislikes to others.

Feb 15, 2005
In my opinion, Pedernales and Las Terrenas, both being in the most extreme East/West points of the island, are as different in environment as they are beautiful in their own ways.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You know guy, I don't know what your beef is. You stated you didn't like the town, fine. However, you falsely stated that the three main attractions (Hoyo De Pelempito, Parque Jaragua and Bahia De Las Aguilas) are not in Pedernales and THAT inaccuracy, is what I responded to.

But PLEASE do everyone a favor, either state your facts correctly or don't post, so that travelers don't get confused while visiting the Dominican Republic.

This is just a suggestion, I will leave further responses to your error filled personal dislikes to others.
I hardly dislike the area. We take folks there all the time.

But based on the poor development even from Dominicans, and based on poor hotel occupancy...even though there aren't that many hotels...the popularity of the area speaks for itself.

The SW is very interesting...and very different. No doubt. I enjoy the days we spend there.

But it IS hot. It IS dry. There ARE few mega attractions. It IS largely frontier. There ISN'T much development there. Water IS scarce. Power IS seriously inconsistent. Much of the area IS barren.

Once before you accused me of not knowing what I was talking about, and then I posted a bazillion pics of our tours to the area. I thought that would have cleared things up.

I hope you do well in real estate there, but don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about from first hand experience.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Nice

Visited Pedernales once more and found it to be a great town. If you see 5 houses with guarded windows and doors, it's too many. You see many many residents sitting outside with there doors wide opened, or inside with the doors opened. This town still has the old Dominican feel to it, definitely , the distance between the capital and here allows it to maintain, that yesterday feel to it. Everyone says hi, folks are very helpful, it has a bank, shops, nice small hotels, and a great beach.

Can't see where you would want more.

Sounds like a great place to go for a visit.

Feb 15, 2005
Sounds like a great place to go for a visit.

It is John.

Small boutique hotels are plentiful, although places to eat are not (at this time). Hotel D'Leo is both a small boutique hotel with a nice restaurant and there are two other restaurants of which I don;t recall the name right off hand, just know that they are on the main road leading into town.

The restaurant at the Cuevas (Bahia De Las Aguilas) is another option. This last time, we had to go to three hotel before finding availability for 2 nights (Thursday and Friday) as they were booked for the weekend.

AS I mentioned, Las Terrenas and Pedernales have become my two favorite spots, for their own merits.

Feb 15, 2005
Once before you accused me of not knowing what I was talking about, and then I posted a bazillion pics of our tours to the area. I thought that would have cleared things up.

I had totally forgotten (about this and you), probably moved the incident into the trash folder.