Aduanas

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
This article was shared by a friend........

A Canadian couple have opened up a clinic in a rural area near Cabarete to provide free dental care to the low-income locals, calling the whole organization "Monkey Jungle". Through the generosity of some Canadian connections, they were sent a crate of donations for use at their clinic. When the crate arrived in the Capital, some representatives went down to clear it through customs. The customs official sorted through the contents.

Used clothing is not allowed for charitable duty-free. Well, this is actually an official customs restriction, since many people were using it to resell, although one might be just a little cynical that it will actually be burned, and not "redirected". So, the clothing was placed over in a pile of goods "to be burned".

Brand new scrubs and medical sheets were not allowed. No reason really given; one might guess that it was too difficult to think of a reason why brand new scrubs and sheets would not be allowed for a charitable clinic. Fortunately, in Dominican officialdom, he doesn't actually have to give a real reason. Over in the pile of goods "to be burned".

The lovely brand-new refrigerator, the official insisted, they were not intending for the use of the clinic, they intended it for their own personal use. Of course! What possible use would the refrigerator be to a clinic, with various perishable, temperature-sensitive drugs ... And we all fully believe that the refrigerator will be burned, and not relocated to the official's home ...

Monkey Jungle left a representative to stay with their pile of goods, to make sure nothing (else) went missing. So, while it was quiet in the customs yard, he strolled over to the pile of proscribed goods, and picked up a few things, like the scrubs and sheets, and moved them back to the pile of cleared goods. A few things ... including the refrigerator. Then Monkey Jungle's truck came and loaded up their stuff and drove away with it ... without anyone stopping them or saying anything.

My guess is that the workers in the customs yard don't get any good loot from the seized goods, so why would they care if the big official gets the fridge or not, not their job to say anything to the Monkey Jungle guy busy moving things from one pile to another. But it just kills me, this example of the aritrary, disorganized, inconsistent nature of DR Customs. This is why it's worth it to pay a representative to clear your goods through Customs.

Kind of sums things up......

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The problem is, many "so called" charitable organizations have brought in equipment and supplies in the past and then sold it for profit.

This could be the reason customs will not let a lot of stuff pass.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You should have taken a knife or razor blade and cut the un-allowable fabric items to shreds, and then watch them go through the work of really throwing them away. And the NEW refrigerator, since it was yours, turned it into a non usable piece of NEW junk. IMHO....

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
waytogo... read hammer's next to last full paragraph.
they did much better than that ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The problem is, many "so called" charitable organizations have brought in equipment and supplies in the past and then sold it for profit.

This could be the reason customs will not let a lot of stuff pass.
This is correct.

If you want to bring in stuff in the name of charity you need to have a portfolio of documentation, letters from the Embassy, maybe a state gubernator, proving you are, in fact, a charity.

Just arriving looking like the pastor of a flock saying that new fridge and microwave is for a charity will get you laughed at.

True, Aduanas folks can be corrupt. But they also aren't stupid.

Having a well-placed Dominican friend involved is also a good idea, as is giving somepone within adaunas a heads' up, incoming stuff.

It took a full month to get 1000lbs. of food destined for the Haitin orphanage through customs. But it got done.

Feb 7, 2007
I have seen NGO's having a similar hassle with a package that got held up at UPS at Customs, it was for some orphanage in Yamasa. They had these poor people running back and forth for a week, there were some used items, computers, etc and they wanted to charge them as NEW!!!

These poor people were given a big hassle by UPS guys at the SDQ airport (UPS was handling customs). And it was two days before the senders' representatives were to come to the DR to make the "official donation" taking pics etc. The best laugh was .... who was the sender of these donated items..? The Pilot's Union at UPS!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
These are Canadians operating as Dentists and the excuse is that they are poor people.? I do hope that they have the proper permits from Public Health. I am not sure it is legal to do it full time, either.

Advise these guys about this...

HB

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Go easy on the Aduana guys.
It is very expensive trying to furnish your holiday villa in Juan Dolio on their salary in these difficult financial times.

Reactions: waytogo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Have any of you ever gone in the early morning to that "clothes truck" that shows up in the neighbourhood" back streets ??

Old pickup truck full of clothes..... he sets it up.... racks, change room , and so on.

Our domestic took my wife and me..... after my wife commented on the nice clothes she had.

ALL OF THEM... ALL were from the Goodwill in No America..... tags still on.

They were sent here as contributions for charity and wind up being sold on the back streets for profit.

Indeed, charity is a difficult business in RD

I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw that clothing

WW

Yes,, I bought a shirt :-(( 100 pesos

Our domestic has brought my wife some GREAT clothes from that truck
We had to see it

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I have heard people disapprove of selling the 'Pepe' or 'Kennedy' as they call in Haiti.
But - the guys who buy it from the ports have a little business going. He sells it to the retailers who also have a business going. There is a whole economy based on this stuff in Haiti and probably in the D.R.
It is better than just giving it away, I think.

Also makes for some strange sights for example today there was a hulking great bloke working in the airport with a "Pink Ladies" t-shirt. They really do not get what is written on these shirts. There were for example a load of Barcelona "Gay Pride" t-shirts that obviously were donated as a job lot. You see these all over the place now.

I even have my own UPS uniform that some well meaning relative bought for me.
I have not had the eopportunity to wear it yet - brown nylon trousers are not really my thing (in fact I challenge any man to make them look good!) but I also have a fair collection of Nike and Reebok running shoes - each pair cost around 8 bucks and are virtually new.
Amazing what some people will throw out / donate.

Me, I am throwing away all my England football shirts.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I even have my own UPS uniform that some well meaning relative bought for me.
I have not had the opportunity to wear it yet - brown nylon trousers are not really my thing (in fact I challenge any man to make them look good!)

Hey Pedro,
I haven't bought any new pants in my 2 1/2 years living here....
I'll give them a shot......maybe with the right matching shirt, pad of paper and pen I can set up at a traffic light and pull cars over and ASK for a police donation.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Who was the shipper?

Have you tried Montero door-to-door?

You may have to provide proof of your charitable organization legitimacy.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The New Mayor's Way

A Canadian couple have opened up a clinic in a rural area near Cabarete to provide free dental care to the low-income locals ...

I came across this article
http://www.noticiasenn.com/node/41
and wonder whether this could have to do with the OP's thread.

A certain Mr. Charles A Ritzen is mentioned as the author of that letter to the editor.

donP

Last edited: