Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New & Renewal Cedula, Residency Cards & Drivers License

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Robert (if this is not too off topic!) At last I have done something useful on this Forum. Richard

Moderator - Central Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Directions to Cedular Office for extranjeros

Thanks el forastero, your directions for the Cedular could not have been more perfect and exact.

Myself and WayToGo went there today and your directions were so good an instructional video could not have been more precise.

SantiagoDR

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Police report needed for Residency-Canadian

Well things had changed in March whereas Canadians and I would imagine others as well, need to have the police report from their home country and then apostilled.
    My lawyer said literally she could not find a solution opposed to returning to Canada.
    I then dealt direct with Canadian police authority over the phone, they say you can download the necessary forms online, fill out and have your embassy in SD confirm your identity, and fax direct to RCMP. Then RCMP says 2 day turnaround and they will either send/fax back to embassy our you can have someone pickup and courier to you $40 fee for report.Quick easy!!!
    Tested this at SD embassy-first girl says we no longer do this and I dont/cant say why. I asked for someone in authority, waited and another girl said yes they can but must talk to the girl who said NO. Then of course was a NO again, 2nd girl was just a "yes" person. Again asked for someone of authority. Waited 30 minutes and spoke with someone who said rules again had changed over the past month and DR was getting tougher excepting these. She said they could do it but process is; First go to Police National on Mexico ave. get fingerprints done- get a certifed bank cheque for about 26cdn for Canadian receiver general- bring back to embassy, they will fax all to RCMP of your choice and upon completion, the Embassys job is done. They say then you need to have that form sent to the DR Embassy in Ottawa for apostille and somehow provide them with self addressed,post paid envelope so when its complete they will forward to you in the DR.
    Embassy here cant seem to give any real solid guarantees all these processes will succeed, and they average time to receiving has gone from a few days when i spoke with RCMP to now up to 10 weeks.
    The added process seems to be this DR embassy part in Canada which throws a true heavy "manana"=10 weeks into the mix.

Has anyone else found this or a better solution. It seems now just flying back and getting direct from RCMP is not much of solution either as still needs to go to DR embassy in Ottawa.
    Must say from visiting Canadian embassies around the world-this seems the most un-Canadian one I have experienced. Not sure if they even have a Canadian worker there apart from the Embassador.

Any feedback??
    Last edited by Norteman; 08-19-2010 at 07:47 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody know when the new (biometric cedulas) will come out? I turned my biometric data in in the beginning of 2009 and have not heard anything from "them" since then.

Off Topic - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems like government agencies love to mentally torture their citizens, post #15...
    What is a biometric cedulla? I just picked up my permanent (good for 6 years) yesterday with my permanent residence card in the capital. Are they supposed to look different?

Moderator - Central Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    It seems like government agencies love to mentally torture their citizens, post #15...
    What is a biometric cedulla? I just picked up my permanent (good for 6 years) yesterday with my permanent residence card in the capital. Are they supposed to look different?
    The answer is no WayToGo, even tho you got your card yesterday and they got the biometric data from you, they still gave you the old card.

Maybe someone in the government forgot to tell the personnel in the JCE Extranjero office about the new cards.

Don

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Did my renewal in a record-time of 3 hours! (VIP of course (RD$ 2,000 extra) Coming in Monday-morning at 8am and leaving at 11am! I was 6.5 months to late and had to pay a fine of 6 times RD$ 250.

And then came the surprise: they offered me to change the validity; instead of the normal 2 years, I could get 4, 6, 8 or a maximum of 10years for each 2 years RD$ 2,500 extra!!! Unfortunately I didn't bring enough cash so the limit was 6 years...but this is huge!! Imagine no need to go their for the next 10 years!!!

After this straight to the JCE (for extranjeros) and there I was outside within 10minutes (RD$ 1,200)

After these 2 "miracles" we went to Pacos to enjoy a cold Presidente and the "view"...

8. Likes Amy Foster liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peterj View Post
    Did my renewal in a record-time of 3 hours! (VIP of course (RD$ 2,000 extra) Coming in Monday-morning at 8am and leaving at 11am! I was 6.5 months to late and had to pay a fine of 6 times RD$ 250.

And then came the surprise: they offered me to change the validity; instead of the normal 2 years, I could get 4, 6, 8 or a maximum of 10years for each 2 years RD$ 2,500 extra!!! Unfortunately I didn't bring enough cash so the limit was 6 years...but this is huge!! Imagine no need to go their for the next 10 years!!!

After this straight to the JCE (for extranjeros) and there I was outside within 10minutes (RD$ 1,200)

After these 2 "miracles" we went to Pacos to enjoy a cold Presidente and the "view"...
    so your Residency AND Cedula been due to expire together?
    lucky so just one ride around St Dgo needed.,
    'cause Residency card expires the Day issued, Cedular every 6 Years on Your B-Day, independend at which Day the first one been issued.
    cheers
    Mike

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by el forastero View Post
    CEDULA RENEWAL:

I did this today in TWELVE MINUTES !

Office hours: 8:00 am to 3:45pm, Monday thru Fridays. The busiest times are between 8 am and about noon. There was nobody else there when I went at 1:30pm on a Friday. If you have something to do down at Migracion, go there first, as Migracion closes at 3:00 pm, and then do your cedula in the afternoon.

They told me that the mornings are usually very busy and some days OOF, there are a ton of people there. For you out-of-towners, southbound traffic at the roundabout and south on Ave. Luperon is really heavy in the mornings with rush hour from about 7:00 to 9:15am.

Here's what you need to take along to renew your cedula at the JCE:
    1. RD$1200 for renewals
    2. Your old cedula
    3. Your residency card (and it must be valid and not expired)
    4. Your passport
    5. A photocopy of your residency card which shows both the front and the back of the card on the same copy.
    6. A nice smile and cheerful attitude.

JCE has a special office for extranjeros. It is located about 200 meters below the big roundabout located at the intersection of 27 de Febrero and Ave. Luperon. As you go south, or below, the big roundabout with the giant arch and Dominican flag, on Avenida Luperon, stick to the rightlane or the second lane from the outside so you don't fight traffic to get into the parking area.

You pass the big JCE offices on the right. Continuing on, next is a two story building with "PARQUEO" at the roofline, then a big blue warehouse-type building with a greenhouse-type addition along the front. After that is the JCE building for Extranjeros, with two tired looking flags in front. If you miss it and get to the intersection of Ave Betancourt with a stoplight, you went too far. Do a u-turn where you can and go back around the roundabout.

The parking lot is small, but just pull in. Most cars are for employees, but the watchyman will tell you where to park.

Inside the buildings front entry, take the steps to the second floor. Go left to the office with all windows and 4 or 5 employees and desks inside. Start smiling about 15 feet before you get to the door and they will be very welcoming. The boss will check your documents, give them back to you and then tell you to go across the central hallway to the cashier to pay your $1200. Tell the cashier you need to renew your cedula (they do other things too), and hand her your old cedula and $1200. She will give back your receipt and your documents.

Then go to the door to the right side of the first office and walk in (closed door with a sign that says "PHOTOS" but no need to knock). They will take your photo here. There are two (or more) people here to enter your data into the system. Sit down in a chair when invited and give them your documents and receipt.

They will enter the data and print out a proof sheet, and review all information with you to make sure it is correct. You then sign the proof, and then sign on an electronic signature unit. They will then direct you to first place your left index finger on a pad, and then the right index finger for entry into the system. Your new cedula will spit out in a minute or two.

Done ! Come back in 6 years.
    quiet different here in Bavaro, I did my renewal last week.
    the office is at the Friusa Crossing in the Building of Plaza Tronco, 2nd Floor, large Signs out in front.
    it took 3 minutes at all and Cedula Renewalfor Dominicans and residents is for FREE!!!
    required documentation to bring:
    * up to Date Residency card, no copy needed, they just want to see Your Card and the expiration date
    * old expired Cedula card
    while he types your cedula number on the keybord with one hand he points you in front of the Camera with the other hand and takes the shot, 2 electronic finger prints, the electronic signature, DONE.
    I asked what I owe and the answer been "Cedula renewals are FREE!!!
    he handed me my stuff and i went on my way.
    the printer started to run the same moment I finished my electronic Signature.
    friendly, quick and Free.
    Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFisher View Post
    quiet different here in Bavaro, I did my renewal last week.
    the office is at the Friusa Crossing in the Building of Plaza Tronco, 2nd Floor, large Signs out in front.
    it took 3 minutes at all and Cedula Renewalfor Dominicans and residents is for FREE!!!
    required documentation to bring:
    * up to Date Residency card, no copy needed, they just want to see Your Card and the expiration date
    * old expired Cedula card
    while he types your cedula number on the keybord with one hand he points you in front of the Camera with the other hand and takes the shot, 2 electronic finger prints, the electronic signature, DONE.
    I asked what I owe and the answer been "Cedula renewals are FREE!!!
    he handed me my stuff and i went on my way.
    the printer started to run the same moment I finished my electronic Signature.
    friendly, quick and Free.
    Mike
    WTF!!!

I went there 2 years ago for the renewal(they told me it was free too) and I had to come back 4 months later...did that: they didn't have it.
    Came back year later; no, we don't have it....
    So that's why I went to SD.... RD$ 1,200 down the drain, however I like it to be in some civilized area from time to time...Bavaro is so....

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast