Cheap place to stay for a month or so in Santo Domingo

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I need alternative accomodation in Santo Domingo for anything from a month to two month. I'm thinking Aparthotel, but where have you had best value for money, and I need to keep the price right down.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
OK I'll try this another way. Has anyone stayed anywhere and paid 25,000 or less for the month (calander)and been happy with the place, service (no hookers policy, 24 hour reception or at least security with a pulse etc).

I am open to any suggestions if anyone has a friend who wants to rent out an apartment for a couple of month. It is only for 2 months max until I move into my new place so not willing to go through the usual contract and deposit deal.

I should be more prepared but unavoidable problems have come up in the week I've been out the country (typical)and not able to do much from here in UK as it involves dealing with a Dominican and money (you know that is not an easy combination in person yet alone over the phone and thousands of miles away)!

Any links, or ideas would be much appreciated:ermm:

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The other day I was told about a place called Recidence Portofino in the Colonial Zone. It is like an apartment hotel I think. Furnished, wifi, etc. Tel 809 333 8029 or cel 809 869 0534. But I cant say if it is good or bad. But should be around 500 USD for a month.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Go to the DR1 Classifieds, click on rentals, click on 'by location', then Santo Domingo. Take a look at the one that says it's a guest house in the Miramar sector. Give them a call, they have good monthly rates and several apartments to choose from, we stayed there for a month and were very comfortable. Furnished, hot water, I think he charged me about $15 for the month for wifi access.

AE

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The other day I was told about a place called Recidence Portofino in the Colonial Zone. It is like an apartment hotel I think. Furnished, wifi, etc. Tel 809 333 8029 or cel 809 869 0534. But I cant say if it is good or bad. But should be around 500 USD for a month.

Cheers pal, I'll give them a call.
Much appreciated.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Definately a lack of reasonably priced mid term accom info out there. Yes I've searched what is on here in the list of hotels, mid term use for a hotel is very expensive. As far as Aparthotels go, I don't call $800US per month cheap or even reasonable, it is cheap business end stuff. Yes I've found one or two possibles but selection isn't there by any means.

People bang on about getting places for a couple of months for $450-600US reasonable, simple and not dumps, well I am seeing absolutely no info on these places, and what I have seen have been pretty crappy even by crap end Santo Domingo standards.

I'm not saying they are not there or people lie when they tell of the existance of 2 month oportunity places all over the place, I'm just saying that we/I/there is a serious lack of info of where it is on the net, on the street or in the papers.
Myth aparthotels maybe, :speechles

Had to get that off my chest, sorry!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
How many hours so far, in total, have you walked around writing numbers down?
How many places have you actually inspected inside personally?

Get out from behind the comfort of your computer.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Have you called the people I recommended on the malecon who advertise here??? They have good monthly rental fees.

AE

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Took the words right out of my mouth!

You have to pound the streets, network, ask around etc.

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
Just heard recently about a small furnitured basic apartment that was recently given up by a foreigner who moved back to Europe.
He says the landlord and his family live downstairs. They seem to watched over this guy since he was a little clumsy and protected him over his half year stay from evil spirits etc..He looks like the type of guy that is always getting ripped off and abused by the villains. Nothing happened to him except his girlfriend ran off with another man.

Definitely not a killer apartment to impress your model girlfriend but a simple place to stay -family connected.
Somewhere in the Villa Mella area. If interested I will find out for you. Write me a PM.

Tim

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Anastacio, I don't know your background or familiarity with Santo Domingo. Do you speak or read Spanish? Are you looking for an apartment , or just a room, or something else? Are your temporary accommodations just for you, or for a family?

Maybe you don't want to run around the city looking for signs in areas you like, or maybe the areas you like are priced out of your range.

Looking at today's Listin Diario, there are several ads for rooms for rent, some are two rooms, all between RD$4000 and RD$20,000 a month (US$110 to US$550 a month). Many times, the owners actually prefer foreigners as renters because they know they'll leave without a fight after the month or two is up. If you can't read Spanish, that does you no good without help. If you don't know Santo Domingo well, you might be looking at renting a room in a real garden spot with real problems.

Most apartment or house renters in the DR are forced to commit for a minimum 12 month term, and owners want 3 or 4 months rent in advance. And they get it.

Are you are looking to rent right now (August) just when many Europeans are starting their holidays? Where do you think they go? Many come here, and do exactly what you want to do, which is find a cheap place to stay for a month or 6 weeks in Santo Domingo, close to things, etc. where they can spend their vacations drinking coffee in the mornings and beer all afternoon, and looking at (or chasing) pretty girls passing by.

Go for a walk down El Conde in the Zona Colonial and find some foreign looking older guys sitting out in front of a cafe nursing a cup of coffee or a beer. Ask them if they know where you might find a good deal on a place to stay for a month or two, with the characteristics you are looking for. If you don't need a place until September, maybe you can grab where they're now staying.

If they're from Sicily, they might not speak English, or ignore you, but there's a good chance they're staying in a relatively cheap place with conveniences nearby.(no offense intended for Sicilians, but I have watched these guys for years and they are kind of clannish down there).

If they don't know, they might know someone else who does. -0- cost to you, unless they hit you up for a beer, or try to slide in a commission with the owner of the place they refer you too.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

About 3 desperate weeks of asking in almost all aparthotels I've passed in many different areas of the city before I've had to leave for a couple of weeks to take care of other things out of the country. Talked to people on as many occasions as possible but it is a wierd period, not long term but not quite short term. I'm aware it is an awkward period of time to cover.
That it the idea, to sort something out while our new place gets finished in Santo Domingo. So I've done quite a bit of searching and not found these places people claim there are plenty of.
Right now, getting out from behind my Computer wouldn't find us a place to stay for the void period as I'm not in the country, being behind my computer is the only way I can look.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
El Foresto,

No I'm not new to SD I've been around almost a year, and been around the Republic for several years, I speak spanish and have a Dominican Mrs and daughter who are at the moment staying with her mother up the coast. Oh, I could get a place out of the city through family connections cheaply, or even stay with family off Las Americas, but I prefer a bit more comfort than what would be on offer and it is sh1t for getting in and out of the city for work, could manage a week or two but 2 months isn't what i'd prefer, hence my search.

I think I may have found somewhere to move to but definately not ideal.

Please understand my post was only in frustration of hearing people say, oh you can find this and that for this and that price, then when I'm looking it goes quiet, it's not about this site, it is people in general saying what they want you to hear even when it's BS.

Never mind, you live and learn.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Please understand my post was only in frustration of hearing people say, oh you can find this and that for this and that price, then when I'm looking it goes quiet, it's not about this site, it is people in general saying what they want you to hear even when it's BS.

Never mind, you live and learn.

It's not BS, I myself have done it and I know plenty of others that have done it.

I just spent 5 mins looking online and found lots of places.

RD$20,000 - ELMILLON ALQUILO APARTAMENTO .,2PARQ. RD$20,000 INC/.MANTEN.
RD$5,000 - Alquilo **APT** RD$ 5,000
RD$15,000 - ALQUILO APARTAMENTO NUEVO

etc etc etc...

I suggest your wife picks up the phone as she is here and starts negotiating.

R

rockero

HI Forastero and Robert great info, Yeh I have heard that from a 100 bucks you can find a place, That place you listed Robert for 5000 RD pesos would that not be like a 130 dollars or 135 bucks more or less? I too have heard about the 3 months in advance no problem at all, But A year in the country? How would they enforce that with you? By signing some document? I am sure you can get a deal with some place for about 4 to 6 months no problem at all, Weather it is in Santo Domingo La Romana Santiago Sosua Puerto plata or where ever, ok then you guys post too more updates on these cheapies for just over a 100 too? Thanks.

R

rockero

Hey Robert I keep on clicking on that place that shows a rent for 5000 pesos Rd but it shows in thel ink that its 8000 pesos. Darn nothing cheaper at all in those listings?

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
I just found at least 16 options in the Listin Diario's website for less than RD$10,000 a month.

Go to Listin Diario

Click on the tab for "Clasificados"
Then click on the tab "bienes raices" on the yellow bar

Then for your search add this info>
Tipo: habitaciones
Ciudad: Santo Domingo
Operacion: alquiler
Moneda: RD$

and hit "BUSCAR" (enter) and (don't enter a range, and get all of their ads for this type of property. Some include apartments and not just rooms.

If you change "tipo" to apartamentos in your search, there are a ton of these for less than $10-12k per month too. If you don't read Spanish, or don't know the city, ask someone who does, and ask them to make the phone calls for you. Not hard to do.

Last edited:

genistar

Jul 29, 2009
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
In Gazcue, there's a hotel I've stayed at before I leased my first place. It's called: Hotel Riparbella. It's on Calle Danae (between Independencia and Bolivar) - 10 minute walk to Zona Colonial. I've stayed 2 weeks and 3 weeks at a time at a cost of RD$800 cash per night after a little negotiation. Rooms are clean, have TV, fridge, hot water & AC. I'm sure they'd give you a better deal for a month or two. They have 24 hour security/front desk.

Hotel Riparbella
Calle Danae #35,
Gazcue, Santo Domingo 01
Dominican Republic
Tel. 809-6878441
Fax 809-6854954
E-Mail: riparbella@hrm-hotels.com

Even if you find a place for RD$5000/month, you'll need the deposits plus 1 year committment (RD$75000 total)... but at that price you'll most likey be in a bario. You can get a pretty nice apartment in Los Alcarrizos for RD$5000/month. Seriously. But I don't know if you'd want to live there. Good luck.