type of vehicle for samana

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
I am trying to decide what sort of vehicle to rent for vacation this year(middle of nov-early dec). We (wife and I) will spend one week in las galeras and then one in las terrenas. Options are to rent a compact car for around $300, take boat tours and rent quads for the day and basically just use the car for commuting between LG and LT and transfer to and from las americas to samana, or rent an SUV or truck for around $700. My question for those people who are familiar with sightseeing on the peninsula is this... do you think a truck(nissan frontier or similar) or SUV (suzuki gran vitara or similar) would be adequate for doing some basic sightseeing? Some of the things we may wish to see while there(again we may do boat tours, especially while in LG) playa rincon, playa el valle, boca el diablo from LG and the beaches around limon from LT say moron, limon, etc. I would have no problem with riding quads as we are both familiar with and often ride them but am concerned that the ride to say playa moron from LT on a quad would be a bit far. I know it is still a long way until then but I will get a better car rate if I book now online and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or advise on what they would do. thanks, ben

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd go with a tough SUV with solid suspension and good ground clearance, maybe even a 4WD.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
It?s the money-question. For the main roads a compact car will do. Also to go to the Boca del Diablo.

To Rincon, Madame und Fronton you can take a watertaxi from Las Galeras. When you go to El Valle you have to cross 2 rivers with a stony ground, you?ll need an ATV.

A place I also love near Las Galeras is the "El Cabito", situated highly on the cliffs with a spectacular view. Following the beach, passing the Grand Paradise Samana, it is within walking distance from LG (30 min).

From Las Galeras to Las Terrenas it took us 1,5h on a quad, so Las Terrenas - Playa Moron isn?t far at all - and Moron is worth seeing it (ATV). When you?ll drive carefully, Playa Limon can be reached in a normal car.

And don?t forget to spend some time at Playa Bonita/Playa Coson near Las Terrenas!!! For me Coson is much better as Rincon.

Have a nice time on Samana!

Reactions: ben jammin

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
thanks CB and caipiranha, i think we will rent the small car as it is less than a taxi or flight to samana would cost and we arrive too late for the bus to LG. we will do the watertaxis while in LG and rent a quad for the week while in LT. we are actually staying closer to coson and bonito while in LT but we visited there last time so wanted to see another area. was mainly concerned that the distance to the limon area from LT on quads would be too long but i think we can handle it. two more questions:squareeye do the watertaxis leave all days or does rough weather stop them from departing and if so how rough? also last time in LT we were charged $550 for 2 quads for a week. is this a good price? thanks again, ben

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Cars Samana

Just try to rent a small Daihatsu Terios with 4x4. It takes you without problems to Playa Moron or whatever place.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
... was mainly concerned that the distance to the limon area from LT on quads would be too long but i think we can handle it.
It?s really easily to handle. I didn?t put my attention at the distances, but from LT to El Limon you spend around 15 km on a well paved road, from El Limon to Moron think about 5 to 7 km. I hope you?ll be able to access Playa Moron in November, last time there in the early May we found it fenced in (the area was sold), but there was an open element in the fence, so access by feet was still possible. If you really should have gone there in vain, you could try the "next" beach, Playa La Cana (?Es Cana), it?s a nice one, too, not far away. I was there on horseback following the coast from Moron, so I don?t know how to go there by quad.

...do the watertaxis leave all days or does rough weather stop them from departing and if so how rough?

Fortunately I always had nice weather at Las Galeras, but I?d never take one of these nutshells when the sea is too high outside the reef...

Saludos

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Just try to rent a small Daihatsu Terios with 4x4. It takes you without problems to Playa Moron or whatever place.

Ditto !!, you might be more comfortable as well.

Enjoy your stay

LT

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Small car will be fine..... you're on decent roads most, if not all of the time.

When we were "exploring" years ago, I took the cheapest car available - never had a problem with the main roads.
Well, once, a pothole flat just outside Las Americas.... I just stood in front of that wheel while they inspected...... passed (whew!)

WW

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
thanks again folks. i think i will rent the small car and keep my options open every day as to what we will do, rent quads, dune buggies, jeepeta, watertaxi etc. i am a google earth addict and wish i had some kind of handheld gps that i could plug waypoints into and do some exploring. anyone with any knowledge or advise on this? it seems like a good way to explore safely without getting lost..lol, ben

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
I'm here right now and I rented a Suzuki LI7 for 28 days at $780 US. The car works well and gets me were I'm going. The roads here are very rough, HUGE pot holes.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I wouldn't try going to Playa Rincon in one of those econoboxes...

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
...and wish i had some kind of handheld gps that i could plug waypoints into and do some exploring... ...it seems like a good way to explore safely without getting lost...

Do you speak some Spanish words? What about a private Dominican guide? Better than the best GPS;-))) And the best way to be safe on lonely places/beaches...

If you?ll ask around, you?ll surely get some recommendations. And you?ll give work to people there!!!

Saludos

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
thanks caipiranha for all of your suggestions. we have found a reasonable 4wd for rent in LT so we may go for that option(daidatsu terrios) and if so may hire a guide one day. my wife still says she wants to rent the quads for a day or two also. the place i worry about getting lost is a mountainous looking road off of the rincon road that goes in the direction of el valle. we will probably rent quads and explore this area and i do not think it would be comfortable to have a guide riding with us. thanks again for your help, ben