Where to lose yourself in Santo Domingo

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Hey guys. I just booked my flight to Santo Domingo for Labor Day weekend. I really want to just go off the beaten track this time. When I was there in June my guide took me to a busy neighborhood that appeared to be a meeting point for many buses going from everywhere to Haiti to Boca Chica.

I plan on going back there, but other than that location can anyone recommend neighborhoods to go to? Perhaps places that tourists normally wouldn't go to. I want to try to immerse myself in the culture if only for four days. I love this country and although I know it can be dangerous I feel safe there. I will be travelling alone this trip without my usual travel companion nor my guide this time. Thanks for your input!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey shawn27, so you pulled the trigger and going back! good for you!
damn bro, as i suggested before, unless you are driving i dont know what to suggest. people are bold enough to dare and trek the country on guaguas [buses] but thats your call, just be prepared to give yourself plenty of time to get to and from destinations. where are you staying exactly? neighborhood and posters here can suggest what neighborhoods and or buses to jump on to go sightsee!

Reactions: Tamborista

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I suggest you choose a hotel in Gazcue. It's not immersion but its a relatively quiet SD neighborhood within a short distance of the colonial zone and a stones throw from the malecon, presidential palace, and easy access to other historic sites and places of interest.

Reactions: bienamor

shawn27

May 24, 2010
hey shawn27, so you pulled the trigger and going back! good for you!
damn bro, as i suggested before, unless you are driving i dont know what to suggest. people are bold enough to dare and trek the country on guaguas [buses] but thats your call, just be prepared to give yourself plenty of time to get to and from destinations. where are you staying exactly? neighborhood and posters here can suggest what neighborhoods and or buses to jump on to go sightsee!

You know Jalen, I would rent a car but I've heard so many horror stories with people having mysterious charges on their card that I'm afraid to do it. Besides, don't see the point of having a car if I don't know where the hell I'm going! Can you suggest any neighborhoods that would be of interest.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I suggest you choose a hotel in Gazcue. It's not immersion but its a relatively quiet SD neighborhood within a short distance of the colonial zone and a stones throw from the malecon, presidential palace, and easy access to other historic sites and places of interest.

Actually I am staying in Gazcue at the Duque de Wellington. I know I know it's supposedly a gay hotel, but I can stay there for $45.00 a night. Can't find anywhere else that's cheaper. Plus the guide there only charges $10.00 a day...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hey guys. I just booked my flight to Santo Domingo for Labor Day weekend.

Duque de Wellington, mmmmmmm now I know where to find you and when.

Only kidding, let the past be the past, right?.:cheeky::cheeky:

Seriously, try to find a better hotel. I stood in an Argentinian hotel a block away facing the colmado. Can't remember the name, but the rooms were very inexpensive with cold a/c. The security was very good.

Be careful, there are many shady characters lurking around those streets at night.

Have fun!

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Duke of Wellington, mmmmmmm now I know where to find you and when.

Only kidding, let the past be the past, right?.:cheeky::cheeky:

Seriously, try to find a better hotel. I stood in an Argentinian hotel a block away facing the colmado. Can't remember the name, but the rooms were very inexpensive with cold a/c. The security was very good.

Be careful, there are many shady characters lurking around those streets at night.

Have fun!

Thanks Bronxboy all is forgotten. You know people give it such a bad rap but it's so cheap! Plus since I'll be alone I'll kinda want someone to hang out with at times. They have a very attentive staff team who certainly don't mind tagging behind tourists! Plus they know where to go. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Do you know if any neighborhoods of interest that are off the beaten track?

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Do you know if any neighborhoods of interest that are off the beaten track?

I usually stay with family. My brother-in-law lives a block away from the Metropolis mall in SD. The areas around there are well to do neighborhoods. Not sure how far from Gazue but is it is not that far.

I would definitely hang at the Jaragua or Melia hotels for nightlife. These hotels are by the malecon.

The area around the Duque is dedicated for the mongering lifestyle if that is what you re looking for. Just be careful around that area. Keep your guards up at all times.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I usually stay with family. My brother-in-law lives a block away from the Metropolis mall in SD. The areas around there are well to do neighborhoods. Not sure how far from Gazue but is it is not that far.

I would definitely hang at the Jaragua or Melia hotels for nightlife. These hotels are by the malecon.

The area around the Duque is dedicated for the mongering lifestyle if that is what you re looking for. Just be careful around that area. Keep your guards up at all times.

I had a drink at the Jaragua. They really need to fix those hotels up overlooknig the water.. they look rather dilapidated. You're right, the area around Duque is very hustler type.. I guess I would consider paying a few extra dollars. You said the hotel you stayed at was a block away? What was the name of it?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I had a drink at the Jaragua. They really need to fix those hotels up overlooknig the water.. they look rather dilapidated. You're right, the area around Duque is very hustler type.. I guess I would consider paying a few extra dollars. You said the hotel you stayed at was a block away? What was the name of it?

I can't remember the name. The owners are from Argentina. There is a colmado right across the street. Down the corner there is a restaurant that sells yummy food by the pound. Maybe another poster can tell you the name. Being that you are going during a busy period, I am not sure I should recommend you just show up w/o making any reservations but it is your call. You might get lucky. I usually travel w/o making any reservations and usually find something suitable.
Maybe you can still make the reservation at the Duque and then see if you find something to your liking. I do not think they take a cc over the phone but I might be wrong. If so, make a reservation for just one night and take it from there.
The only time I stood around that area was when my bro-in-law was not around.
I usually go to Santiago or Punta Cana (Higuey) anyway.
I can tell you that when I did stay there, the hustlers were in full effect. Having a Bronx attitude, they knew better once a conversation took place. Also, remember, NEVER leave your drink behind no matter how fine she is.
You probably know this already but it is always good to hear it from another brother. lol

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Bronxboy is right, always keep your guard up at all times in DR, someone is trying to hussle something out of you its CRAZY. i love staying in the Gazcue area, although i never stayed at the Duque de Wellington before, i already told everyone here where i recommend staying because it is clean and quiet and the staff super nice:
JAGUAR APARTHOTEL, literally behind the Jaragua on the Independencia side.
you can try to negotiate $45USD, the most i paid was $55USD but i love the place. I dont know about it being guest friendly as i only stayed there with family.
Gazcue is a nice neighborhood, only thing i really hate is the working girls take over the streets at night, really a shame but what can you do. the hustlers hang out on Pasteur right in front of a fritura/park playing dominoes and drinking. i dont let them bother me, in fact some of them i have become cool with to just have a few drinks and shoot the $hit.
I have stayed at the CASONA DORADA before and they have been renovating it extensively so it might be worth looking into.
and if you are NOT driving i say stay somewhere in la ZONA COLONIAL, you would be walking distance to just about everything, even the malecon if you want to stretch it.
Jaragua is my preferred place to gamble and get a good buzz from all you can drink cuba libres.
and i believe the MELIA next door has club COPPA which is open ALL NIGHT long so if you want to hang out with the 'elite' in the DR social scene, as well as tourists who are there to have a good time and club to house/techno/pop then this is the place to go. be prepared to spend $$$ because everything in there is NY price, i once paid $85USD for a bottle of Barcelo Rum, why not i felt like splurging...LOL

Reactions: Bronxboy

neftali50

Nov 11, 2008
You can go to Mint, in the Napolitano Hotel too it's close to Melia.

Bronxboy is right, always keep your guard up at all times in DR, someone is trying to hussle something out of you its CRAZY. i love staying in the Gazcue area, although i never stayed at the Duque de Wellington before, i already told everyone here where i recommend staying because it is clean and quiet and the staff super nice:
you can try to negotiate $45USD, the most i paid was $55USD but i love the place. I dont know about it being guest friendly as i only stayed there with family.
Gazcue is a nice neighborhood, only thing i really hate is the working girls take over the streets at night, really a shame but what can you do. the hustlers hang out on Pasteur right in front of a fritura/park playing dominoes and drinking. i dont let them bother me, in fact some of them i have become cool with to just have a few drinks and shoot the $hit.
I have stayed at the CASONA DORADA before and they have been renovating it extensively so it might be worth looking into.
and if you are NOT driving i say stay somewhere in la ZONA COLONIAL, you would be walking distance to just about everything, even the malecon if you want to stretch it.
Jaragua is my preferred place to gamble and get a good buzz from all you can drink cuba libres.
and i believe the MELIA next door has club COPPA which is open ALL NIGHT long so if you want to hang out with the 'elite' in the DR social scene, as well as tourists who are there to have a good time and club to house/techno/pop then this is the place to go. be prepared to spend $$$ because everything in there is NY price, i once paid $85USD for a bottle of Barcelo Rum, why not i felt like splurging...LOL

shawn27

May 24, 2010
I can't remember the name. The owners are from Argentina. There is a colmado right across the street. Down the corner there is a restaurant that sells yummy food by the pound. Maybe another poster can tell you the name. Being that you are going during a busy period, I am not sure I should recommend you just show up w/o making any reservations but it is your call. You might get lucky. I usually travel w/o making any reservations and usually find something suitable.
Maybe you can still make the reservation at the Duque and then see if you find something to your liking. I do not think they take a cc over the phone but I might be wrong. If so, make a reservation for just one night and take it from there.
The only time I stood around that area was when my bro-in-law was not around.
I usually go to Santiago or Punta Cana (Higuey) anyway.
I can tell you that when I did stay there, the hustlers were in full effect. Having a Bronx attitude, they knew better once a conversation took place. Also, remember, NEVER leave your drink behind no matter how fine she is.
You probably know this already but it is always good to hear it from another brother. lol

Yeah sometimes you need to be reminded; dominicans girls make you forget your own name sometimes! All I need to do is find the right one and bring her back here! But for now I'll do with having fun.. Spirit has flights to Santiago too, I think I may check out that city as well if I have time. What do flights look like from NY? Would you believe I got my flight flying out of ft laud for $179.00 taxes included!?! Of course they charge for baggage, but I carry so little that my duffle bag will fit under the seat.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

Spoken like a true Dominican. Hey, wait, you are not. You wife has taught you well indeed.

La Casona Dorada is one that Berzin speaks about all the time.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/santo-domingo/75767-la-casona-dorada-hotel.html

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Gazcue is a nice neighborhood, only thing i really hate is the working girls take over the streets at night, really a shame but what can you do.

Yeah they set up camp almost right in front of the hotel; not sure why if it's a gay hotel. Gazcue does seem quiet, I was looking for more of a street scene. Like where can I go and be surrounded by daily life- vendors, street scenes etc? The only neighborhood I can think of is the one that seems to be like the major bus station. I plan to use a gua gua to go to boca chica. I usually have the hotel take me but it's $40.00 each way so...

shawn27

May 24, 2010

Spoken like a true Dominican. Hey, wait, you are not. You wife has taught you well indeed.

La Casona Dorada is one that Berzin speaks about all the time.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/santo-domingo/75767-la-casona-dorada-hotel.html

La Casa Dorada looks like it's on the same street as El Duque!