Ferry to Puerto Rico

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
My father isn't a citizen, he needs to travel every six months, I wanna know, can he just go to Puerto Rico instead of mainland, and I've heard about the ferry, how much does it cost round trip?

Thanks in advance.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
Where is it that your father is not a Citizen?

Ferries Del Caribe is no longer operating so travel to and from PR would be by air.

He's not an American citizen, so he needs to go to the US soon to keep his residency, can he go to puerto rico?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Going to the US or US a US territory such as Puerto Rico periodically for short times will not necessarily allow him to keep his residency unless he is fortunate.

Residency means that he must actually live in the US or he could forfeit his residency. I know that many Dominicans with US residency visit the US periodically within 6 month periods and many do get away with it, but that is actually in violation of the regulations.
The regulation(law) reads that if you are out of the country 6 months or longer then it is the option of U.S. immigration whether or not to allow you back in again.

Some people are not aware of that information.

As Windeguy stated, U.S. immigration one day may give the traveler an option on the next visit, stay in the States or lose the residency. This has happened to friends of ours.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
He's not an American citizen, so he needs to go to the US soon to keep his residency, can he go to puerto rico?

With all due respect, why does one go through the pains of becoming a resident of the U.S. if they don't intend on living there?

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
He lived in the US for about 12 years, and is now retired, though he doesn't want to lose the residency. But he currently resides here.