Cooler needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
I'm staying on the north coast for a month and am looking for a good price on a cooler. A cheap styrofoam one would do but I can't seem to find any and the Coleman ones are very expensive here. Please let me know if anyone has seen any at a reasonable price. thanks

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I can't tell you where to buy one of these but in my experience, the insulated bag type of coolers are better because if you are going to any beaches where there are hotels (ie. Playa Dorada) they do not allow coolers but will usually not bug you with an insulated bag.

Reactions: mike l

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
Thanks....I will keep that in mind. We are mostly looking for it to get groceries home without melting/getting warm but will use it for the beach too.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Super Super is in Sosua across from Banco Reservas....where exactly will you be on the north coast would help in locating a place for you, .... I have a small cooler and have no problems bringing it on the beaches, but you might if you get a big one...holds 12 bottles of presidente and ice

May 29, 2006
Super Super is on Pedro Clisante in Sosua on the corner of Ayuntimiento maybe 500 meters from the center of town. Any moto-concho driver should know where it is.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I'm staying on the north coast for a month and am looking for a good price on a cooler. A cheap styrofoam one would do but I can't seem to find any and the Coleman ones are very expensive here. Please let me know if anyone has seen any at a reasonable price. thanks

If you have a place to leave a good one after purchase do that instead. I used to buy cheap coolers all the time...the styrofoam type...and they would always get damaged. Buy a real good one and store it with a family member/friend whatever. This is cheaper.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What about buying one in the US, filling it with clothes, books, whatever and checking it on the plane with you?

Just wrap it in duct tape or have the airport wrap it in cellophane on departure.
A suitcase and a cooler.... all in one

If you're already here.... too late for this idea

WW

May 29, 2006
What about buying one in the US, filling it with clothes, books, whatever and checking it on the plane with you?

Just wrap it in duct tape or have the airport wrap it in cellophane on departure.
A suitcase and a cooler.... all in one

If you're already here.... too late for this idea

WW

Yep, sounds like it's too late, but that's what I did last time. I brought a small cooler and it was great for packing the stuff I was worried about getting crushed. I like how they tell you how many "12oz beverages" each cooler can hold now. A medium cooler that sells for about $25 in the US can sell for $60-$70 in the DR. The main downside for coolers as luggage is they don't latch for the big ones which can be a problem.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yep, sounds like it's too late, but that's what I did last time. I brought a small cooler and it was great for packing the stuff I was worried about getting crushed. I like how they tell you how many "12oz beverages" each cooler can hold now. A medium cooler that sells for about $25 in the US can sell for $60-$70 in the DR. The main downside for coolers as luggage is they don't latch for the big ones which can be a problem.

Duct tape or cellophane wrap seals them tightly.

Those coolers are very expensive compared to the US

Bulletproof luggage and will stay cool all the way to your destination.
Food, medicine, beverages... like Clamato juices- king sized!!

WW

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
Thanks all for the tips! Yes we are too late to bring one as we are already here. We will definately use one of ours from home as a suitcase next time. We don't know anyone here to store one for us so will try to get to Super Super tomorrow to see if we can get the soft sided one there. We have several of them sitting in our garage at home in Canada...too bad we didn't think of that sooner!! When we move here we'll definately bring ours and maybe some extras too.

canuk8068

Sep 15, 2008
The best cooler I had for the trip was one of those that the beer company in Canada gives out with a 24. It was a backpack as well as a cooler. All my groceries fit inside then I hopped on the gwagwa home.

Status
Not open for further replies.