Meds or shots prior to leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
A friend of mine mentioned that diseases like Dengue fever is prevalent in the area. Is that true? Do I need to carry any meds or take any shots before I get there (in a couple of months)? What should I do or avoid?

Jessica

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Neither. Unless you will be near Haiti or in areas where there is a lot of standing water, you will be ok without shots or meds. I live full time in the DR and am not planning on getting shots or taking meds.

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Thank you for the info. I don't intend to travel to Haiti, but do plan to travel quite a bit around DR. What about travel medical insurance? Is having it any good?

edhizam

Sep 14, 2009
MRDR...I have yet to go to DR but when my brother went to Thailand he got medical travel insurance because the insurance company will supposably take care of all expenses but apprently also fly you back to the states for medical attention here. thats what i heard ....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just go and enjoy yourself. Not any more danger than in you own country.

Jan 17, 2009
There have been some reported cases of Dengue. But it is nothing that you can do to prevent it, except for using a good mosquito repellent with a high DEET concentration for longer protection.

As to shots, it is usually good to have your tetanus shots up-to-date, as well as your Hep A & B--but those are good to have even if you don't travel abroad.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no need for shots of any kind and there is no vaccine for dengue or leptospirosis anyways (we have many cases of those now). use mosquito repelent and wash your hands often.
and have fun :)

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Thank you for the suggestions. Is it possible to buy a good mosquito repellent in Cabarete when we get there? Or should I try and find one from here?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I agree, no shots, except for tetanus, and hep A and B, but definitely buy travel insurance, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it....all the best hospitals take out of country insurance....because they pay

Status
Not open for further replies.