Caribe Tours website schedule inaccurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
We plan to take trips from Cabarete to Santiago, and back. I checked Caribe Tours website, but found that it fails to provide any costs or schedules from Cabarete to Santiago. (I can get schedules/costs from POP to Santiago, just not from Cabarete). I found a website that seems to indicate schedules and costs from Cabarete to Santiago and Santo Domingo, but I don't know if it's accurate. Does anyone know what the schedules and costs are like?

Also where do we board the Caribe Tours bus from Cabarete? Will they allow us to keep a carryon bag with us on the bus?

Thank you,
Jessica

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Caribe Tours does not go anywhere from Cabarete. You take the bus in Charamicos to Santiago. It leaves at 20 past the hour all day till 6:20PM.

Jan 17, 2009
Jessica,

I do this trip quite often. If you can, take Metro Bus instead of Caribe Tours. The buses are newer, the ride smoother (much better drivers), not as cold inside the bus, and fewer stops (only one in Puerto Plata). Unfortunately, I find myself having to take Caribe Tours on the way back many times because Metro only has one service at 1:15pm and no service then until 6:15pm. Going there, you have more options.

Here's Metro schedule (departing also from Sosua (station is in El Batey--a bit closer to Cabarete than Charamicos).

Metro Servicios Turisticos

I should mention that Metro's ride to Santiago costs $1 or so more than Caribe Tours.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Jessica,

I do this trip quite often. If you can, take Metro Bus instead of Caribe Tours. The buses are newer, the ride smoother (much better drivers), not as cold inside the bus, and fewer stops (only one in Puerto Plata). Unfortunately, I find myself having to take Caribe Tours on the way back many times because Metro only has one service at 1:15pm and no service then until 6:15pm. Going there, you have more options.

Here's Metro schedule (departing also from Sosua (station is in El Batey--a bit closer to Cabarete than Charamicos).

I should mention that Metro's ride to Santiago costs $1 or so more than Caribe Tours.

Thanks, EIC. I noticed they also have a morning trip on the schedule. Have they discontinued that one?

Jan 17, 2009
You're welcome. No, the Metro schedule is accurate as it is on the website. Just make sure you're looking on the right for departures from STGO (to POP-SOS) and SOS to POP/STGO/SDQ.

If you are traveling on a Friday or weekend, you should call and reserve ahead of time. Last Friday, I arrived at their terminal at 12pm and all tickets to Sosua for the 1:15pm bus were sold out. In Santiago, both Metro and Caribe Tours are one block away just in case you miss Metro.

Reactions: Lucille

mrdr

Jul 27, 2010
Jessica,

Thanks for this. This helps. Now I'll have to find a way for me to get from Cabarete to El Batey early in the morning.

Jessica

Jan 17, 2009
Jessica,

You can take a Publico (a shared-cab ride -- look for old Nissan Sentras with a sign on top), a guagua (a public bus -- minivan) or a regular cab (US$15). Early in the morning though you could expect publicos and guaguas to be quite full with people going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.