I just can't do it...I know I'll look weird

maaron1

Feb 5, 2010
So I'll be down in a week for my vacation. I decided to check out the weather. Rain - okay, what else is new; and heat, expected. Unexpected (as this is my first time) is this rigid dress code. I can deal with pants at night, but there is no way I think I can do jeans, during the day as I'm touring the streets of SD. Almost 100% humidity with 90 deg temps. In the US we have lots of humidity, but we don't mind wearing shorts either. So tell me, expats, after several years of living here (there) have your bodies adjusted, can you tolerate extreme heat/humidity better than when you first moved down?

Just curious.

MA

Reactions: AlterEgo

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
After 2 and a half years in Santiago without going back to the states I still get totally soaked from the high humidity. Everyday in the high humidity months I have to shower and change my clothes several times a day.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im curious how the jeans thing started, I dont think other islands seem to have the same fixation with them .......or am I wrong

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have become used to it, I get hot and sticky, but handle it rather than getting myself flustered by it, but I also seem to have adapted to that baggy look to keep a bit of air circulating. I feel a little bit of a HipHop fashion victim at times but there is method and use to the madness of that whole style I have found. I don't go the whole hog and wear baggy tops but baggy jeans are a must or my pants are like swimming trunks before I'm out of the house. I also stand in the central reservations alot to get some air from the passing traffic sometimes.
Overall my body doesn't leak as much as it used to, but I have Dominicanized in the way I find as little movement as possible helps, but I've also put on about 1/3 of my body mass in 4 years.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Oh it does happen, even those pesky Dominicans wear shorts in Santo Domingo, terrible behaviour!! :bunny:

Well it seems like the OP feels he will be out of place if he wears shorts; I was just saying that I've seen several men wearing shorts.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, you can "go native" and wear shorts, black socks with street shoes and one of those undershirts as seen in Italian or French barrios...the sleeveless kind...you;ll look really nice.

Dude, just get some comfortable jeans (cotton) and a few nice Tshirts...you'll never, ever "fit in" but at least you'll look decent...

HB

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Well it seems like the OP feels he will be out of place if he wears shorts; I was just saying that I've seen several men wearing shorts.

There is a big stigma that shorts are just for the beach. If you are seen with shorts anywhere other than a beach or pool you are a tourist. If you are not a tourist then you are GAY.

This is what I have been told so when in Rome, I do as the Romans do.

Reactions: badpiece33

shawn27

May 24, 2010
There is a big stigma that shorts are just for the beach. If you are seen with shorts anywhere other than a beach or pool you are a tourist. If you are not a tourist then you are GAY.

This is what I have been told so when in Rome, I do as the Romans do.

Are you serious Mike? Dominican men that wear shorts are considered gay? But then agan I guess the Duque de Wellington attracts that types of guys ha ha!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
it takes a little while to get used to the pants, now I rarely wear shorts, only at the beach

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I wear chinos, or golf pants and don't find it too bad, but then again the humidilty here in Southern Ontario on the great lakes in just as bad so unless i come in the winter it doesn't really bother me.

Mar 2, 2008
Thank you, Bronxboy.

It was interesting to re-read that thread. It's the same old debate complete with the same old attitudes on both sides of the question.

The bottom line is, "Who cares?" Present yourself the way way you want and be happy with who you are. Fretting about how other people view you matters in business and important social functions. Otherwise, dress comfortably and be happy. There are much more important things to worry about than what cloths one wears.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I find it strange that its either jeans or nothing at all for some people- jeans for going out , nothing at all for staying in ....there doesnt seem to be a mid-way point,

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Decide if you look better in dressed in shorts & sandals or in long pants drenched in sweat!

If wearing shorts & sandals during the day and early evening makes you more comfortable, go for it. To not be comfortable while on vacation is silly.