charter cities in haiti

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
One problem - sovereignty. Haiti has always had an issue with foreign meddling powers. That being said I've heard that there is planned whole new communities from scratch in Haiti and I wonder how it will all pan out being that all of the funding is external.

May 29, 2006
how about foreign run charter cities in haiti?

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Ending Poverty - Magazine - The Atlantic

its a long read but worthwhile.. comments?

Hong Kong was a foreign run city for decades and it's one of the most vibrant economies in Asia...

Proper urban planning can make or break cities. Compare Curitaba to Brazilia in Brazil. Brazilia has turned out to be a disaster(no sidewalks was one problem) and Curitaba has become an economic and residential boomtown. Both were planned cities.

One problem with the attempt to industrialize the Haitian economy was nothing was done to provide infrastructure for the millions that moved to PaP. Compare this to towns like Hershey PA where housing was built for the workers. The town I lived in Vermont was once home to an organ factory and they provided housing for all employees from entry level workers to the managers. That was 80 years ago. Most houses are still standing and the factory has been converted to other light industrial use.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
May 29, 2006
I like the idea of using border towns with the DR for trade. Using a port city for export creates an artificial bottleneck for the export of goods which leads to excessive tariffs and loss of goods. I bet most Haitians would be better off exporting to the DR and then have the DR export some of the goods even though Dominican export points are by no means safe from exploitation.

What I've read about the trade in border towns is Haitians are taxed for the goods they bring in and if they do not sell them, they are taxed again when they leave the country. It seems to me they need an area which is neither Dominican or Haitian for trade to take place freely.