Wedding problem in Punta Cana

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
A friend of mine has booked her wedding in Punta Cana at the Melia for January. Now they tell her that she can only have a symbolic wedding because there are no priests or pastors available on that date and that there is only one for the whole of Punta Cana!

Does this seem right? Does anyone know if this is true or if she is being led astray?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
A friend of mine has booked her wedding in Punta Cana at the Melia for January. Now they tell her that she can only have a symbolic wedding because there are no priests or pastors available on that date and that there is only one for the whole of Punta Cana!

Does this seem right? Does anyone know if this is true or if she is being led astray?

Hire one from a town or city nearby. Any JP can legally marry you. Of course you know that it will have to be registered back home to be 100% legal. (I think)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I wonder if they could bring their own from the U.S.
I'm not sure how that'd work in terms of being legally binding... but the pastor should know.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
Unfortunately.....

....she and her wedding party will be coming from Canada and it is doubtful that she could get someone to come down to perform the ceremony without incurring a lot of expense. However, if all else fails..........

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Eddy. That is a good idea. I could probably arrange to have a JP through my lawyer in Santo Domingo to get one there. That is a good idea.

Brings back memories of my sons's wedding. He came down on vacation 16 years ago with his girlfriend and asked my permission to marry her during dinner at La Roca restaurant. I had 5 days to sort it out and I was able to. Hope things work out for you guys.

Feb 7, 2007
You want a catholic priest? I know some people who have good relationships with the Church in Higuey, so I could ask around, if necessary

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
All great ideas!

She is Catholic and I'm checking if she wants a Catholic priest or if a JP would do.

It is so frustrating because she has already put down a hefty deposit, plus all the guests have placed their deposit as well and now they tell her that she can't be officially married only symbolically married!!!

Of course, back in Canada, this would be considered breach of contract, however good luck getting them to do anything about it I suppose.

I'll check with her to see what she needs and then if you don't mind, I might just come back and get more help, if you all don't mind. Thanks so much for your responses...... I'm sure something can be worked out.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
I've checked........

..... with my friend and they would like to have a priest officiate, if possible.

What would we need to do to be certain that one would show up on the day? Is there someone we can call?

The hotel is not in the least bit cooperative and simply says they don't have anyone available, which I find extremely difficult to believe.

Any suggestions are gratefully accepted.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If she wants a priest to officiate, the actual ceremony will most likely not be permitted to take place at the hotel. It can, however, be celebrated in a church or chapel. At least, that is the way it is done in Puerto Plata.

Since Monse?or Pe?a, the current bishop of La Altagracia Province (where Punta Cana is located) is the previous bishop of Puerto Plata, I am fairly certain that this is correct. You can PM me if you want a telephone number for Bishop Pe?a (who speaks English) to discuss this with him.

I can tell you, however, that if she wants a Catholic ceremony, she will have to comply with all regulations, including a marriage preparation course (Pre-Cana). There is a list of required paperwork (things like baptismal certificates and permission from her pastor) that must be completed. I believe that I have a copy of the requirements for Puerto Plata which would be a rough guideline for what she'll need in Punta Cana. Contact me if you wish.

Reactions: Bronxboy

summertime101

Nov 12, 2008
Another option if the hotel can't get JP (I was also told there is only one for all of Punta Cana) you can get married at the Civil Office in Punta Cana the day before the wedding, and then have the 'fae' ceremony at the hotel as planned by a regular Church Pastor. I did this. Going to the Civil Office is fairly simple.....10 min. taxi ride, small office, professional, and have a JP. You do however have to arrange this all ahead of time, ie make appointment, fax your birth certificate, and single status declaration. Bring two witnesses and you are married in 10 mins. then do it all over again at the hotel the next day. The guests won't even know that you are already married if you don't want them too.

Another good option is to get married at home before you go, don't tell the guests you did it, and still get fake married at the hotel. No one will know the difference. This eliminates all the problems.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
Excellent!

Great suggestions! Thank you so much. I'll pass them on and see what she says. Luckily, she has a little time to get things together as she is scheduled to be married in January.,

I cannot believe that there are so many ads for every single hotel in Punta Cana offering Wedding packages and yet there is no one available to marry anyone!!! It just simply doesn't make sense!

I know more about PoP and there doesn't seem to be a shortage there. I would have thought that some enterprising JP might have 'set up shop' as it were. Now, there is as business for one, huh?

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
My first trip to the DR was for my friends' wedding at a hotel 6 years ago. Since then I've spoken with lots of people about weddings and getting married there. It seems that as a rule guests get a bit ticked off at being lied to about it not being the real thing when it isn't. If the couple does go the route of marrying at home first or at the city office, it's generally recommended that they share that with their special guests who went to a lot of cost and effort to attend the nuptials. Since they're likely very close friends and family, they'll surely understand the disappointment and struggle that the bridal couple had to go to in the end to get married and still have their Dominican ceremony. If the couple openly says that the legal part was just that and the sentimental more memorable date shared with the family and friends will be the deemed anniversary date, there's no shame in that. You'd hate to have somebody find out inadvertently that this secret was kept from the guests who felt very special to be included in the first place.

Of course the day is the bride and groom's and they're free to do whatever they choose. I'm just sayin'....

Kaki

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Dont panic!

I know many of the wedding coordinators very well here. This is the situation.

In Punta Cana thre is only ONE judge that can legally marry couples in the whole area and he has to go to every hotel, some of which have five or six weddings a day. So he can not be there for every ceremony...however

If he does manage to be there he will read the bog standard legal mumbo jumbo in spanish, he will not read any personal vows and the wedding coordinator translates and it is nto very nice at all.

In the cases which he can not actually perform the ceremony which is most of the time your wedding coordinator will perform the ceremony which you will have a choice of, i believe they do all sorts of differant ones now eg. sand ceremony and other personalized touches that really make the caribbean setting. they will also read out any personally written vows in english and as you you have usually known your coordinator for a few days on resort and months before via emails and so on, you will find it more personal.

Then usually on the same day or the next the coordinator will tell you at what time the judge will be arriving to do all your official and legal paperwork.

So my advice would be to thank the lucky stars the judge will not be doing the actual ceremony and let the coordinator do her job. They will still be legally married when they leave.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
From what you say........

......perhaps it is not such a bad thing after all. However, I do believe that the prospective bride and groom should be notified before they put their deposit down and then they might not feel so conned.

My personal experience in the DR (north coast) is that any JP can marry you and it is hard to imagine that there is only one in Punta Cana and surroundings. You don't need a judge in PoP and I don't understand why you have to have a Judge there.

From your description of what goes on, I agree that having this 'judge' preside might not be the best thing given the goal of having a special day unfold.

Thanks so much for all your comments and suggestions. I'll pass these on and hopefully the bride (and her mother) will feel a little better.

..... with my friend and they would like to have a priest officiate, if possible.

What would we need to do to be certain that one would show up on the day? Is there someone we can call?

The hotel is not in the least bit cooperative and simply says they don't have anyone available, which I find extremely difficult to believe.

Any suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Change hotels, Let your money do the talking.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
Would love to........

........however the bride has already placed a hefty deposit and they are not inclined to give any of it back.

The hotel did not tell them that they would not be legally married, but would only have a symbolic wedding, until after the deposit had been taken. Cual surpresa! lol

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
All All-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana will be the same. Read my post above its not actually what it seems they just dont know how to explain it properly to the client.

The Judge will do all the official papers and legal part the night of or day after the actual ceremony which is performed by the wedding coordinator which is a hundred times better, believe me ive seen the difference.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
........however the bride has already placed a hefty deposit and they are not inclined to give any of it back.

The hotel did not tell them that they would not be legally married, but would only have a symbolic wedding, until after the deposit had been taken. Cual surpresa! lol

One of the DR members is a wedding coordinator on resort, i will send her this thread and get her to confirm what i posted above and or correct any mistakes i may have made, but i am pretty sure they will be legally married but after the ceremony.