Belize... worth checking out?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Anyone have first hand experience in how Belize compares to DR?

How to Retire Comfortably for Under $1,500 a Month - Yahoo! Finance

"One of the most appealing things about Belize as an overseas retirement choice is that it can make sense even if you're nowhere near conventional retirement age. Through Belize's Qualified Retired Persons program you can establish foreign residency as young as age 40."
" It's a small country of about 350,000 people. It's also a young country, having gained independence from Great Britain in 1981. There are a lot of market niches waiting to be filled. Living here, you'll discover that life can be not only super affordable, comfortable, and adventure-filled, but also full of potential.
"

Wiki:
Although Kriol and Spanish are spoken among the population, Belize is the only country in Central America where English is the official language.

Belize is culturally unique among Central American nations. It is the only nation in Central America with a British colonial heritage, although as a part of the Western Caribbean Zone, it shares this heritage with the Caribbean portions of other Central American countries. Despite this, Belize considers itself to be a Central American nation affiliated with both the Caribbean and Latin America.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Belize has a lot going for it - especially the financial services industry.
But then again to take full advantage of this you have to do business outside Belize.
I met the honorary consul in Port au Prince and he said that it was still a land of opportunity - but he would say that wouldn't he?

I was considering it for a move at one time so I was lurking on a Belize forum.
It was quite refreshing to know that expat posters had exactly the same gripes, arguments and laughs as here on DR1.

So anyway, after doing a bit of research I think I will do another 10 years here first.
It seems to be a lot more fudd-duddy that the D.R.
Lots of old expats.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
You don't want to end up in a Belizian hospital, not good. If you get injured or sick you better have an exit strategy, if not, you're toast.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Anyone have first hand experience in how Belize compares to DR?

How to Retire Comfortably for Under $1,500 a Month - Yahoo! Finance

"One of the most appealing things about Belize as an overseas retirement choice is that it can make sense even if you're nowhere near conventional retirement age. Through Belize's Qualified Retired Persons program you can establish foreign residency as young as age 40."
" It's a small country of about 350,000 people. It's also a young country, having gained independence from Great Britain in 1981. There are a lot of market niches waiting to be filled. Living here, you'll discover that life can be not only super affordable, comfortable, and adventure-filled, but also full of potential.
"

Wiki:
Although Kriol and Spanish are spoken among the population, Belize is the only country in Central America where English is the official language.

Belize is culturally unique among Central American nations. It is the only nation in Central America with a British colonial heritage, although as a part of the Western Caribbean Zone, it shares this heritage with the Caribbean portions of other Central American countries. Despite this, Belize considers itself to be a Central American nation affiliated with both the Caribbean and Latin America.

I've been to Belize; if you like extreme humidity go for it. I now live in Atlanta, and I've been to New Orleans and Houston in the summer, and the heat and humidity that i experienced in Belize was twice worst then Atlanta, New Orleans and Houston. Not for me, that for sure. Now it has one of the best coral reefs of the world and nice caves to explore.

Also Belize larger city Belize city looks like a BARRIO.

May 29, 2006
I had a good friend in school from Belize. It is not as far along as the DR economically. If you want to drive into the countryside, you need to have a mandatory armed exscort in some regions. It has more wildlife such as monkeys and sloths, but they also have bot-flies, which is a deal-breaker for me. The thought of getting a 1/2" grub growing under my skin kind of gives me the willies and the scars look like a cigar burn. They also have Chagas disease down there and I've like to avoid heart transplants. A few websites mention that toilet paper is not available even in some good hotels. I like the DR in part because flights to the US mainland are frequent, quick and cheap. The guy I knew from there though was very nice and spoke perfect English.

It is also suppose to be the best diving in the Caribbean.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
I've no intentions of leaving DR, but have never spoken to anyone about Belize before. The Yahoo headline just happened to catch my attention.

You all paint a slightly different picture than a couple of articles I quickly read today. ;)

DBrown

Nov 20, 2012
I think we need to provide better packages for retiring persons, so that they can live a healthy life in old age. As at this stage of life people need special facilities to live a comfortable life. Which might even contain nursing facilities also.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
excellent term for Belize "extreme humidity". You think the DR is humid? The DR is nothing compared to Belize humidity wise.
The DR is nice and the women are off the chain but its an island.
Panama is where to look. Fabulous oceans, diving, fishing, US dollar, and you can live at altitiude to avoid the heat. Wish I knew back then what I know now.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I visited Belize a while ago. One thing that surprised me was the lack of pretty girls in Belize City! I think it's fair to say that a lot of Belizians are aesthetically challenged!

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
I am advised by several that the cayes are very boring, with boring people, no comaraderie, with nothing to do except drinking, diving, and fishing. I give it the name of: Un-Belizable !