Dominicans In Montreal

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Everyone! Its been a long time. I hope that everyone is doing well.

I am writing to see if there are any Dominicans or spouses of Dominicans on DR1 that are living in the Latin Quarter in Montreal? If so, could you please contact me. I'm trying to locate my ex who may be living there in order to serve legal papers. I had cut off contact with him a few years ago and didn't realize that I am not able to file for divorce without locating and serving him. I found a recent comment on a sports/baseball article online that leads me to believe he is in Montreal. He onced worked at the Dollarama Warehouse there. I would sincerely appreciate anyone who moves within the Dominican community there to PM me and will give you more information. Thanks so much!

Nelly

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I was told this by someone at a law firm in Nova Scotia when I called to inquire about filing the paperwork. They said that I would have to show in court that I did everything possible to find him. If I could not find him then at minimum I would have to find a relative or someone who knows him to serve on his behalf. A judge would have to approve such drastic measures first only after being satisfied that no stone was left unturned in my attempt to locate him. If he is still in Montreal then he is likely well known and liked by most within the DR community there.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Or you can serve him through an ad in the newspaper classified section but you d have to be sure that was his last known place of residence for the judge to grant your motion for divorce.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I was told this by someone at a law firm in Nova Scotia when I called to inquire about filing the paperwork. They said that I would have to show in court that I did everything possible to find him. If I could not find him then at minimum I would have to find a relative or someone who knows him to serve on his behalf. A judge would have to approve such drastic measures first only after being satisfied that no stone was left unturned in my attempt to locate him. If he is still in Montreal then he is likely well known and liked by most within the DR community there.

Get a local PI someone who is well known in your area to do a few checks, Equifax etc. and go to the courts with that. Should be enough to satisfy them then go the newspaper route.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Really? Was I begging for information? I had no idea. Where I come from begging is rude so I do apologize to anyone I offended. Conversely, where I come from insulting someone in another language is also rude. Just say'in.

Thank you to everyone who offered information. You've been very helpful. I had already contacted a couple of PI firms (one in NS and one in Montreal) by e-mail on Saturday before I posted here and should hear from them next week. I did not know the remedy of the newspaper ad and I would definitely prefer this method. I will search for a better law firm next week. My only agenda here is to satisfy a judge so my divorce can be completed. I thought I would ask on here hoping for "I live here, whats his name? Oh yeah, I know him, he lives and/or works at blah blah blah." thus saving me the expense of the PI. I guess it could still happen.

Thanks again!

Reactions: margaret

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Really? Was I begging for information? I had no idea. Where I come from begging is rude so I do apologize to anyone I offended. Conversely, where I come from insulting someone in another language is also rude. Just say'in.

Thank you to everyone who offered information. You've been very helpful. I had already contacted a couple of PI firms (one in NS and one in Montreal) by e-mail on Saturday before I posted here and should hear from them next week. I did not know the remedy of the newspaper ad and I would definitely prefer this method. I will search for a better law firm next week. My only agenda here is to satisfy a judge so my divorce can be completed. I thought I would ask on here hoping for "I live here, whats his name? Oh yeah, I know him, he lives and/or works at blah blah blah." thus saving me the expense of the PI. I guess it could still happen.

Thanks again!

Looking for someone on this or any public board will only make things harder for you. People who might know him could be girlfriends or a good buddy. He will have been warned and could take counter measures. Go the PI / newspaper route and for sure get a female lawyer who has a rep. in divorce work. BTW if you ever feel like doing so, maybe after your divorce, you can post your story here. Men from Mars? forum is in need of new material, it?s getting boring. Good Luck.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
BTW if you ever feel like doing so, maybe after your divorce, you can post your story here. Men from Mars? forum is in need of new material, it?s getting boring. Good Luck.

Nelly has already posted her story in a few threads where her story might be of some help and I don't think she needs to be beaten up for entertainment purposes.