Help with Bringing Sister to Live in DR

vivaloca

Aug 24, 2010
Hey everyone,
I am familiar with the DR, been there a few months ago and planning to go back next year for medical reasons. So I don't know anyone personally there but I did have a nice stay while there. I am in the USA and have an older sister with a son under 18 years old in West Africa. I want to get them to the DR because it would be easier to travel to visit them if they lived in the DR and life in general would be better for them versus West Africa. With no direct ties in the DR, I am hoping someone can offer me some assistance on how to go about getting her into the DR to live with a host family or friend. I can send money for her upkeep and stuff so if anyone can help just send me a message. Thx

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
She can just come to The DR and stay there. The hardest part I believe is just going to be getting there (route) as some countries don't let those without a visa stop in-transit. Once there just rent them a house/apartment somewhere. You didn't say what country they are from and what language they speak, but depending on that it may be easier for them to adapt in certain areas of The DR (i.e. Puerto Plata or Punta Cana if they speak English)

vivaloca

Aug 24, 2010
Thanks for the response. She speaks good enough...ahh well..OK enough English...LOL. I would think the hard part would be to get a host family or friend to stay with until she get's use to things there. Also wouldn't she need a visa to come out of Africa into DR as in wouldn't a citizen of DR already in DR have to file papers for her to come, or like you stated, all she has to do is get a round trip flight from West Africa to DR and find someone to stay with?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Okay so you want to bring someone from the likes of the Gambia to the DR and make sure they are set to stay, get them sorted and settled.
If you want to try then there is a place to contact in Pto Plata, a guy is fixing up his stables and offers accom and living for a small$$. I expect once up and running he will appreciate a full time worker-s' he doesn't need to pay in exchange for room and board. I can't vouch anyone will take anyone but I've met alot of the farms and ranches who will feed and water people for a days work. Most being southward heading inland, the Northcoast only holds this one guy. Out of Santo Domingo you have alot of options if you are prepared to work for a living only.
Your route will be the pain in the a$$, and some hopping and good luck will be in order I think. My 2cents!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the response. She speaks good enough...ahh well..OK enough English...LOL. I would think the hard part would be to get a host family or friend to stay with until she get's use to things there. Also wouldn't she need a visa to come out of Africa into DR as in wouldn't a citizen of DR already in DR have to file papers for her to come, or like you stated, all she has to do is get a round trip flight from West Africa to DR and find someone to stay with?

I think she would still need some kind of Visa, at least Tourist VISA. She would still have to go through Dominican customs at the airport....etc. Her best bet may to come in as a student.
http://www.learn4good.com/travel/dominican_visa.htm#req

vivaloca

Aug 24, 2010
Yes Bob, I also think so, but not exactly sure that she would need someone in DR (local address) to file for her to be granted either a visiting visa, student visa, sibling visa or spousal visa as that is the case for coming to the USA.

She is in her mid 30s in age, does not hold a USA passport, never married, never completed college, and has 1 teenage school age son

vivaloca

Aug 24, 2010
I don't understand...how is this a scam? Is it that this question has never been asked before or that no one could possibly be faced with this scenario?

Sorry I don't speak Spanish so I have no idea what yola is or means.

vivaloca

Aug 24, 2010
Ok, I thought about this whole scam accusation again, and figured that is must be because I am new to this forum and have a low post count. Maybe that is the case as I have witness this type of accusation being made to members of other forums in which I, myself have been a long time member of. Oh well but I not scamming nor spamming. This is a honest and legitimate question.

Condorito

Aug 2, 2010
Would not it just be easier for Vivaloca to send her money to Africa, rather than putting a Non-Spanish speaking woman and her son through the ordeal on being a potential homeless, destitute illegal in a developing country she knows nothing about?

If I wanted to visit my relatives, I would rather spend a few extra dollars and hours to get to their homeland, rather than subjecting them to an odyssey for my own comfort.

And even if a better future for her is the intent, Vivaloca's sister is going from the frying pan to the fire. Either bring her to the USA legally, or help her in West Africa.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Language will be a big issue, even for the teenager.

It might be better to find a different country where they speak a language that your sister and son can communicate in.

If they come here to a tourist area and barely speak English or maybe French and not any Spanish it won't be long before they will be moving back home.