Riu Bambu vs Riu Palace

DenisDenis

Aug 26, 2010
Hi guys!

I've got a question about the hotels in Punta Cana.
We made a reservation for the Hotel Riu Bambu but today the traveling agency called me and said the hotel offers us a free upgrade to the Riu Palace free of charge, I've been looking for reviews on the internet but I get the feeling there are more bad reviews for Palace than there are for Bambu. I know Bambu has been renovated not that long ago, so I would like to know what you guys would do, take the upgrade to Palace or stay at Bambu?

P.S.: this is a great forum btw :p

Amy S

Dec 8, 2006
Riu

The biggest difference between the Palace and the Bambu is that it should be much quieter in your room at the Palace. It is generally filled with older couples and the Bambu has lots of children. If you stay at the Palace you can go anywhere within the RIU complex, including the restaurants at Bambu. If you stay at the Bambu you cannot use the facilities of the Palace.

Feb 7, 2007
Which Palace? There are two... Riu Palace Punta Cana and Riu palace Macao. Palace Punta Cana is newer. If you can be upgraded free of charge to RPPC, GO FOR IT and not even think about it! I have been to RPPC several times and it is one of my favorite hotels (the other one is Ocean Blue).

RPPC has a beautiful lobby, excellent food (better than bambu), better beach restaurant and snacks, better drinks (you get some premium drinks you do not get in Bambu). RPPC is all junior-suites. Rooms better appointed. AC works better.

RPPC has much nicer pool. Much better theater. Plaza with live bands playing on sunset. It has 24 hours sports bar with free wifi Internet. Midnight snacks (not available in Bambu).

Did I say it has a BEAUTIFUL lobby? (you feel like in a 5* hotel in Paris decorated from Napoleon era). So again, if you can do it for free, go for IT!.

Reactions: rice&beans

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Which Palace? There are two... Riu Palace Punta Cana and Riu palace Macao. Palace Punta Cana is newer. If you can be upgraded free of charge to RPPC, GO FOR IT and not even think about it! I have been to RPPC several times and it is one of my favorite hotels (the other one is Ocean Blue).

RPPC has a beautiful lobby, excellent food (better than bambu), better beach restaurant and snacks, better drinks (you get some premium drinks you do not get in Bambu). RPPC is all junior-suites. Rooms better appointed. AC works better.

RPPC has much nicer pool. Much better theater. Plaza with live bands playing on sunset. It has 24 hours sports bar with free wifi Internet. Midnight snacks (not available in Bambu).

Did I say it has a BEAUTIFUL lobby? (you feel like in a 5* hotel in Paris decorated from Napoleon era). So again, if you can do it for free, go for IT!.

Agree with this. The Rui Punta Cana, as it is commonly called is the best hotel in the Riu complex for sure.

DenisDenis

Aug 26, 2010
yeah its the punta cana palace,
thx for the reply! I had to make my decision by today so i'll follow your advice.
I know what you mean about the lobby, i've seen some pictures and it looks HUGE!
I was a bit sceptical about the offer at first as it seems odd, an agency that upgrades the hotel for you free of charge...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I cant comment on any renovations but I stayed at the RIU Bambu for a wedding 3 years ago for 2 nights and the rooms were VERY musty. I have stayed at 3 of the others prior to that time...same problem honestly.

I too would only stay at the RIU Palace Punta Cana. It does appear to attract a more "senior" crowd but will have access to all the hotels on the property.

Good luck and enjoy!

DenisDenis

Aug 26, 2010
actually we dont mind that the people staying there are seniors, like the guy a couple of posts up said, the rooms will be a lot more quiet when there arent that many kids running around :p

The good thing is that we can go to any Riu hotel, so if we'd like some animation we could go to the bambu etc.

I've read that most rooms at nearly all hotels seem to be rather musty, some say it has something to do with the climate...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
actually we dont mind that the people staying there are seniors, like the guy a couple of posts up said, the rooms will be a lot more quiet when there arent that many kids running around :p

The good thing is that we can go to any Riu hotel, so if we'd like some animation we could go to the bambu etc.

I've read that most rooms at nearly all hotels seem to be rather musty, some say it has something to do with the climate...

Good you'll have a balance of peace and quiet and entertainment if thats what you are after.

I would certainly not agree with the generalization of musty rooms in most hotels...but oh well, havent done the AI thing in years, maybe there has been an increase in the mustiness factor;).

Feb 7, 2007
I just vidited Riu Complex in PC on business.

Riu Taino is closed down and in demolition, a new Riu Palace Bavaro will be built up. Riu Naiboa is closing this Monday 6/aug for renovation. Will be completely refurbished and renovated in all aspects.

I was also told and seen Riu Bambu was completely renovated. Restaurants remodeled, rooms remodeled 100& new decor and new amenities. I have not seen the rooms though from the inside.

Bambu now has a new late-nite sports bar just by the pool.

It is still, though, lower category than Riu Palace Punta Cana.

kacka

Sep 25, 2010
Hi everyone!! I have got a guestion. I was in Riu Bambu 2 years ago and I would like to know if is still there Wasa Wasa and Sexyboy(Johnatan)??? They were lovely))) Thank u for the answers.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hi everyone!! I have got a guestion. I was in Riu Bambu 2 years ago and I would like to know if is still there Wasa Wasa and Sexyboy(Johnatan)??? They were lovely))) Thank u for the answers.

They are both supervisors at Western Union now.