Seeking solid advice on bringing brother from DR to NY (work visa?)

Hello

I posted this question awhile ago on this board (I'd say a year+) but have seem some new people on here so I'm hoping perhaps someone has some new info:

I am a college graduate and full-time employee at an international architecture firm here in New York. I have my own place in New York City and a very generous salary.

Here's the scoop: I was adopted from DR as a child and was raised by a wonderful American family here in New York. I've had the rare opportunity to stay in contact and visit my family in DR during my teens and adult life both with my adoptive family and by myself. I'd really love to have my oldest brother here in New York where he can work and stay with me at my home. We're very close and he'd like to come (even for a month at first) to earn some extra cash.

Here is his info:

24 years old
Owns a house in Santiago, DR
Has two children back in DR and a wife.
Hard working, has experience working in insurance (which he presently works in), as a personal driver, in construction, farming, and at a supermarket/restaurant.

My name was legally changed so we have different last names. I'm not sure whether or not that would work to our advantage but not, I have the paperwork to prove we are siblings.

How difficult would it be to get him a work visa? Would I be able to sponsor him in some way?

Thanks in advance :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As a US citizen, you can petition for any of your siblings and your parents to come here to live & work. I'm afraid I will disappoint you with our story.

My husband and I got married in 1976, he became a US citizen in 1981. In 1982 he petitioned for one brother and his sister to come to the US to live. Both already had tourist visas and had been here many times. Like you, he had a good income, etc., and they were approved very quickly. That's when the disappointing part begins. They were placed on a waiting list, as the US only permits a certain number of these persons to migrate each year from each country. It took about 8 years before they got their call to come and get their "green card".

We also had to sign documents acknowledging responsibility for repaying any benefits they might get [i.e. welfare, food stamps, etc.]. His sister is a US citizen now, living in Philadelphia. The brother and his wife turned in their green cards a few years ago and received a 10 yr tourist visa.

My advice is to file the papers NOW. I have no idea how long it might take until his number comes up, could be more or less than 8 years right now. At least you'll know it's in the works.

Alternatively, if an insurance company sponsored his employment, he would get a work permit almost immediately, but in today's work environment in the US that seems like a longshot.

AE

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Tourist visas to the US can be difficult, but since he has a house, job, kids, wife, he has a better chance than most.

Tell him not to mention that he has close family in NY, it makes them less likely to give the visa because they believe that increases the chance he will remain there illegally. I heard that directly from one of the immigration officers at the American Embassy in Santo Domingo. He just wants to go to US on vacation and to do some shopping.

AE

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
if he's a college grad, you could bring him to NYC on an h1b visa. he'd need to be employable, be able to speak english and be a professional, earning probably at least US$60k/year.

if not, the only other way is via family based sponsorship which is very slow.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
You don't have to shop in the US...what's wrong with The Blue Mall?....lol

Tourist visas to the US can be difficult, but since he has a house, job, kids, wife, he has a better chance than most.

Tell him not to mention that he has close family in NY, it makes them less likely to give the visa because they believe that increases the chance he will remain there illegally. I heard that directly from one of the immigration officers at the American Embassy in Santo Domingo. He just wants to go to US on vacation and to do some shopping.

AE

Great advice AE.....(and I agree)... but it's horrible when the person has to lie and be deceptive when they've done nothing wrong, and in fact are trying to do the right thing....(if it produces a Visa....ya gotta do what ya gotta do).......but in this "results oriented society".....unfortunately it is necessary.....:cheeky:

Last edited:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Wow--that's a really long time but I guess eventually is better than never.

Hmm...I'm going to give him a call and talk a bit more about this.

How difficult is it to get a tourist visa?
Find him an American girl friend, yes lot of Americans fall in love easy with Dominican guys.
in one year will be flying for the sky in AA Agua alante y Agua atras...
JJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Find him an American girl friend, yes lot of Americans fall in love easy with Dominican guys.
in one year will be flying for the sky in AA Agua alante y Agua atras...
JJ

JJ, shame on you, he's married with children.... :ermm:

AE

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Perseverance

Keep in mind that approval for a visitor's visa is based upon connections in the DR and proving to the interviewing officer that you will return to the DR. Any connections in the US, especially family, are a negative in proving you will go back home at the end of the visa period.

As far as the sponsorship, good luck with that long process.

Oh I understand the process, no matter how flawed it may be...(both sides)....and what hoops you have to jump through for the Visa......my friend did it.....(a little different circumstances, it was not a family family thing)..I was just commenting how a person of say.....high morals...ethics....scruples...ETC....would all of a sudden be put in a position to lie and deceive to get the desired result.......I GET IT....not judging, and I know it goes on all over the world, and I know a couple of lies are NOTHING compared to people in the middle of the ocean on a Yola with no food or water on their way to PR....just kinda thinkin........:ermm::ermm:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
JJ, shame on you, he's married with children.... :ermm:

AE
Well, you never know!!! maybe he is not legally married and kids can fly too under a K-3 Visa.
I see this happens frequently in DR.

JJ