Haiti's Earthquake and Immigration in the DR

The presence of illegal immigrants from Haiti in your area has...

• Considerably More

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Slightly More

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • The same

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Slightly Less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Considerably Less

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Now that it has been at least 7 months since the earthquake that devastated the Ouest and Sud departments of Haiti, what has happened to the presence of immigrants from Haiti in your area of the DR?

Ignore the word 'illegal' in the question, this is meant to judge DR1ers perception of the Haitian presence post the earthquake.

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
People keep banging on about the increase but I genuinely can't see any difference to what we had before. There is a massive increase in Haitian Students, thats all I notice.
Santo Domingo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
About the same amount of Haitians here in the east, mostly employed by Dominican building companies, gardening companies, resorts etc.
As I have no way of checking all their papers I can't reply to the poll, sorry.

Reactions: drloca

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
People keep banging on about the increase but I genuinely can't see any difference to what we had before. There is a massive increase in Haitian Students, thats all I notice.
Santo Domingo

dont know if they are legal or illegal, but you hear a lot more Kyrol in the streets here in SD(colonial zone, ciudad nueva).With some more kids begging.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Significantly more in Juan Dolio. The lady who gave birth last week had no papers at all as they were lost in the earthquake together with her husband and child. She was brought to DR by the authorities she said - no idea which authorities. For what was supposed to be a tourist spot, the highest population by far - around 70% i would say are Haitian, followed by Dominicans, a few ex pats and the smallest population by far are tourists

matilda

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
For what was supposed to be a tourist spot, the highest population by far - around 70% i would say are Haitian, followed by Dominicans, a few ex pats and the smallest population by far are tourists

matilda

Suprising, a healthy population of Hatian women over here usually brings plenty tourists of sorts.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Where I live it is bloody full of them!!!!

But it always was.

(You could have posed the question - has the presence of Haitians increased in your area since GoudouGoudou? Just trying to keep you honest!)

Mar 2, 2008
Since polling question still contains the word "Illegal", doesn't the validity of the poll now come into question?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but l don't think this can be considered to be a scientific poll, by any stretch of the imagination.

And if it is not a reliable source of information, what purpose does it serve?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I agree with you Catcher, but give him a break - it is a fair question and these polls are never scientific.

Are there seemingly more Haitians around your area now than before the quake?

I personally know of lots that came although they have mainly made their way home now.

Mar 2, 2008
Well Pedro, I am just a little suspicious about polls such as this one. They tend to be used as a rational to further some hidden agenda. I just like to know what I'm signing up for before I participate, but that's just me.

In any event, and obviously, everyone can do as they see fit. For me it simply doesn't make any sense.