Best Sports bar on the beach....(Cabarete)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There's a (relatively) new kid on the block...or rather in the sand...on Cabarete Beach. Kahuna Restaurant & Bar Kahuna?s Bar - Cabarete, Dominican Republic.

I went last night for dinner and pre-season football (JETS Jets Jets Jets!!). Finally, an owner who GETS IT! This place puts "the other" sports bar on the beach to shame. First off, you can see all 5 plasma screens from your table on the beach, not just inside or at the bar. Second...prices are reasonable and service is excellent, lots of happy hour(s) specials and a food special most days (Thursday was 40 peso tacos, don't remember the others). Third, the waitresses are international, very attractive, friendly, and fun...and dressed in sports-bar type outfits. Fourth...there's a pool table and dart board...and Fifth...the food...

OK, Ive only been there once and it was a 50/50 outcome. I had the whole fish...and can honestly say it was perfectly prepared, better than I've had in a while, and I've had it many times from many places...It was close to two pounds, wellnicely marinated, done a la plancha, and as I said, nearly perfect. Comes with two large sides...for $350 RD all taxes included.

My friend had the Caesar Salad ($200 RD)...big disappointment...it was made with Iceberg instead of Romaine. But....a few minutes after mentioning this to the waitress, the owner came out and graciously apologized and explained that because this is low season and an extremely low one at that, he didnt buy the Romaine because it was going bad before he could sell it. He asked what he could do to make it right...all in all acted the way a restaurant owner should...starting with the fact that he must have told his wait staff to inform him whenever a customer has a complaint...

Overall prices were ok, not super cheap (the whole fish was probably the best deal on the menu), but certainly not expensive. Menu runs from sandwiches and burgers to pasta, fish, and steaks...and like a true sports bar...LOTS of appetizers...

Bottom line, I will definitely try Kahuna's again and won't have a second thought where I'll be going to watch sports from now on...

Reactions: drloca

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I have been to Kahuna's a few times. The prices are good and the tax is included. The food is typical bar food. Not great but not bad. The only complain that I have is they only have one bathroom and the night I went it was locked.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
In their defence the Bathroom is locked at all times. You have to ask for the key. Perhaps the waitresses need to better inform the clients but the bathroom was certainly not "closed" just locked for your benefit, otherwise it would be the local motoconch hangout with no paper, soap, etc...
I agree the service is great, the girls are great the atmosphere is sports bar-esque, the bartender/managers are very customer oriented and aim to please. Prices are as good as anywhere else on the beach and they do have lots of specials, like Budweiser bottle for $75 pesos..cant beat that !
Food, well it's a sport bar, most stuff good, other items, hit or miss.

Mar 2, 2008
Great review, David. Thoughtful, two-sided and sincere.

I was particularly impressed by the way you described the owner's attitude. That attitude will go a long way in making his venture a success.

Based upon your review, I will most certainly give it a try, perhaps as soon as this Sunday.

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
Sports Bar

Met both owners and ate there several times as my kids loved the Taco Night. These guys have experience in catering to the tourists. I would recommend them... drinks and food are reasonable and the waitresses are Bonita!

Good luck Trevor & Chris. You guys Rock!!

I'll tell all my friends in Calgary about the "Kahuna Bar in the DR"

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Do they use American Beef for the burgers?

That's one of the most popular items ever sold in a restaurant and if you use local beef and frozen french frys then there is no reason to consider serving them with hienz ketchup as I will show up once and never return!

DR Restaurant owners just don't get it, but some do!

Americans want American Food and are willing to pay for it.

Canadians want poutine and the english want fish and Chips

I like the Cheese Cake Factory!

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I was there about two months ago. Owner is American and a young guy to me..late 20's or about 30. He likes to party and drink a bit. When I tried to order, by mistake, a happy hour special after happy hour, he told to waitress to go ahead with that order at the happy hour price. The waitresses there are very friendly and nice...you get great smiles if you are happy to begin with... The restroom is in the back in the hallway. You have to ask for the key. The restrooms are not cleaned all the time and on one occassion the restrooms were in bad shape, plus there is no ventelation in there... Food and beers are not what I would call cheap, but reasonably priced for the beach. The owner is also friendly and said hi to me as I walked through the restraunt every time. Food was ok to good. The hamburgers are not american beef grade, but ok for my tastes but not to my wife's taste. My wife liked the salad. I can't remember what else we had there...Ate there three times so that tells you something. Plus, I like the music there too...mix of older rock and roll and such...basic music choices were fun and happy, which made drinking a bear there seem comfortable and I was in a good mood...

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I was there about two months ago. Owner is American and a young guy to me..late 20's or about 30. He likes to party and drink a bit. When I tried to order, by mistake, a happy hour special after happy hour, he told to waitress to go ahead with that order at the happy hour price. The waitresses there are very friendly and nice...you get great smiles if you are happy to begin with... The restroom is in the back in the hallway. You have to ask for the key. The restrooms are not cleaned all the time and on one occassion the restrooms were in bad shape, plus there is no ventelation in there... Food and beers are not what I would call cheap, but reasonably priced for the beach. The owner is also friendly and said hi to me as I walked through the restraunt every time. Food was ok to good. The hamburgers are not american beef grade, but ok for my tastes but not to my wife's taste. My wife liked the salad. I can't remember what else we had there...Ate there three times so that tells you something. Plus, I like the music there too...mix of older rock and roll and such...basic music choices were fun and happy, which made drinking a bear there seem comfortable and I was in a good mood...

I will say it again and for the last time.

Hamburgers and Cheesburgers made with american beef will sell and if you provide home made french fries with real ketchup ...Heinz ( everyone has their idea about what good ketcup is )..wrong!

No wonder so many restaurants fail..you have to do the marketing research to appeal to your prospects.

My friend Albert created the Papa Burger and my friend Walter created the Teen burger and that's why we call it.

PAPIES A & W

Call me now for a franchise ...

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Mike, you are so right and after reading your email, I remembered that the french fries tasted strange/terrible at kahuna...at least to me that day. I am sure it was the oil the fries were put in. They do offer other alternatives to fries, like chips and vegatables. By the way, the vegatibles on the side were outstanding...cooked in butter and really fresh...

One thing I've noticed after a couple trips to Cabarete is that people living here prefer Chicken and Pork... The Chicken is outstanding because it is not processed or frozen really... It's usually fresh from the property where it's been wandering around for a while and got caught by someone... So the chicken is more tasty... So are vegetables and fruits... USA quality Beef as Mike says is tough to find and I'm sure people would pay for good quality hamburger.

All that being said...you may pay a bit extra to eat and drink on the beach, but you will be eating under the palm trees with the ocean in the background and sand under your feet.... Amen to that!!!

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Great Spot

We've been to Kahuna's a few times...my husband likes the wings (the most like Canadian wings of all the places on the beach). I like the buffalo shrimp appetizer. Lots of fun...hopefully these guys do well.

Banghouse

Aug 30, 2010
Audacious Americans

Hey, for you gringos who want American food I know the best location to dine for such cuisine, go back to AMERICA!!!

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
In a disturbing sign that Kahuna's is hurting their main competition, Jose O'Shay's, one of the waitresses at Kahuna's shared with me that when she met a friend at the bar at Jose O'Shay's they refused to serve her! She said she waited 20 minutes for service and finally figured out the bartender had been told not to serve her because she works for the competition. I find that unbelievable, frankly, but my waitress insisted that it actually happened.

Kahuna's prices include tax, unlike J O's, and they are MUCH lower to begin with. The chicken cordonbleau was excellent. And the employees appear to be very happy and they are refreshingly friendly. Good food at lower prices in a friendly atmosphere.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
In a disturbing sign that Kahuna's is hurting their main competition, Jose O'Shay's, one of the waitresses at Kahuna's shared with me that when she met a friend at the bar at Jose O'Shay's they refused to serve her! She said she waited 20 minutes for service and finally figured out the bartender had been told not to serve her because she works for the competition. I find that unbelievable, frankly, but my waitress insisted that it actually happened.

Kahuna's prices include tax, unlike J O's, and they are MUCH lower to begin with. The chicken cordonbleau was excellent. And the employees appear to be very happy and they are refreshingly friendly. Good food at lower prices in a friendly atmosphere.

For the past two years, I've gone to Jose O'Shay's for the St. Patrick Day celebration, but after they had the audacity to charge 150 pesos for draft beer last year, I'm not so sure if I'll attend this year.

I'm hoping Lou's in Sosua will have something going on for St. Pat's this year....:chinese:

rwing93

Jan 14, 2011
I have been down there the last two nights. Had the ribs last night, not too bad. The other night I had the chicken, very good. As far as the french fries, I had them both nights and they were very good. No heinz ketchup though. LOL! I met the one owner I didn't get his name but he is from Calgary. Most of the waitresses at night are also from Canada. If by chance you enjoy hockey they usually have a couple of games on three screens. A nice place, I will go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.