what steps do i need to take to start a business in dominican republic

Robin Hood1

Aug 31, 2010
I'm considering open a business in the dominican and i would love some information on how to set up a sole proprietorship business and if there are any laws or info i should be aware of. I am an irish citizen living in the united states

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well you could start by learning the name of the country. It is the Dominican Republic. Since you are Irish, do you live in Irish? Or the Irish Republic>? Of course, you can say Ireland, Eire, or Erin, and many would understand you. Few would know Quisqueya from a hole in the wall.

Second. This is a country with laws, lots and lots of laws. What you suggest, "a sole proprietorship business" is certainly contemplated within these laws.

We do have a saying: Do you know how to make a small fortune in the Dominican Republic?

Well sir, you start with a big one!!

Caution, due diligence and patience are of the utmost.

I am told that all those with Irish passports could not fit in Ireland!!!

Sl?nte,

HB

Reactions: cobraboy
E

engineerfg

Depending on the type of business you intend on operating, it could be as simple as 'hanging your shingle' and getting started, to as complex as having to pay damn lawyers.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would see a psychologist first. With a certificate of "Sanity" I would go to my pastor and ask his blessing. Then I would ask the Doc for a year's supply of a really powerful tranquilizer.

That said and all the kidding aside, listen.

Business in the DR is really difficult. There hurdles and hurdles within the hurdles. The labor laws are Byzantine to say the least. The horror stories you can hear on any street, talking to any of the local businessmen will scare you away for sure.

There are two ways to go: Formal and informal
Formal is to obey all the laws, pay all the taxes and Social Security and retirement and worker's comp and and and....and have a labor lawyer on the payroll

Informal is to set it up tell the workers take it or leave it, stay under the radar, don't make waves, and HOPE you are not targeted by some "inspector" from Public Health, Labor Department, Social Security, Internal Taxes, Customs, the city council, etc etc

When you know that the Industrial Associations are complaining that manyof their companies are leaving the formal sector to seek profits in the informal sector, under the radar, stealing electricity and water, that tells you something, IMO.

However, there are entrepreneurs that have succeeded. So, come down, explore, talk and then take or don't take the plunge...

HB

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
"what steps do i need to take to start a business in dominican republic".....

Answer, learn how to continuously walk 1 step forward, 3 steps backward....

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I would see a psychologist first. With a certificate of "Sanity" I would go to my pastor and ask his blessing. Then I would ask the Doc for a year's supply of a really powerful tranquilizer.

That said and all the kidding aside, listen.

Business in the DR is really difficult. There hurdles and hurdles within the hurdles. The labor laws are Byzantine to say the least. The horror stories you can hear on any street, talking to any of the local businessmen will scare you away for sure.

There are two ways to go: Formal and informal
Formal is to obey all the laws, pay all the taxes and Social Security and retirement and worker's comp and and and....and have a labor lawyer on the payroll

Informal is to set it up tell the workers take it or leave it, stay under the radar, don't make waves, and HOPE you are not targeted by some "inspector" from Public Health, Labor Department, Social Security, Internal Taxes, Customs, the city council, etc etc

When you know that the Industrial Associations are complaining that manyof their companies are leaving the formal sector to seek profits in the informal sector, under the radar, stealing electricity and water, that tells you something, IMO.

However, there are entrepreneurs that have succeeded. So, come down, explore, talk and then take or don't take the plunge...

HB

I went the legit formal way-but off the record would recommend the informal way

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I went the legit formal way-but off the record would recommend the informal way
It's a gamble.

If you don't get caught, fine.

If you DO get caught...maybe by a competitor, enemy or disgruntled employee dropping a dime on you...the consequences can be horrific.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Talk to a DR1 recommended lawyer - easy.

To be sucessful, however, a rich and successful expat businessman once told me - Alcohol, gambling and prostitution.

And maybe a forum?

Reactions: SantiagoDR

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
"what steps do i need to take to start a business in dominican republic".....

Answer, learn how to continuously walk 1 step forward, 3 steps backward....

In almost every sense of the word, this is correct. Take it from someone who is the process of doing business here.

Unlearn everything you think you know about business and start like a child, its easier than having to stress yourself with the "but why?" question. You will not get any answer that you want.

People are unreliable regardless of the number of postgraduate degrees on their wall. You need to chase incessantly.

I will quote from a meeting I had today, he told me,"persist, persist and persist. Repeat until your competition give up and you will succeed".

And depending on what and where, without a contact network in certain businesses you will NEVER get infront of the decision maker you need.

Me personally, without my network and friends, I would give up today. I just couldn't do it without money and time I cannot afford.

RhondaJohnson

Sep 29, 2010
I too am interested in ligitimate business. Does anyone have a link to how to set up employees for payment. Also it has been stated that a laundry mat would not work because of the unreliable electricity. Yet how do hotels keep their linen clean. I know people wash clothes by hand but the abundance of linens.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I too am interested in ligitimate business. Does anyone have a link to how to set up employees for payment. Also it has been stated that a laundry mat would not work because of the unreliable electricity. Yet how do hotels keep their linen clean. I know people wash clothes by hand but the abundance of linens.

They have large backup generators that supply them with 24x7 power.