where shall i go???

xzoex

Sep 1, 2010
Hello i,m 29 from the u.k now me and 8 family members 4 women age 49-18 & 5 kids 14-5,have never been to the DR or Caribbean but are planning to go in early 2011 and do not have a clue where to go we want somewhere really gorgeous white sand etc local flavour and culture but also plenty of shops bars restaurants and things to do i have been researching and there is too much choice we don,t want to be stuck on our hotel resort for weeks i thought bavaro or la romana but i really dont know!any advice will be greatly received.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
How much time do you have? The DR has a variety of wonderful places to vacation. I am assuming you aren't interested in an all inclusive? If you really want to experience the local culture you'll have to plan to get into the urban centers a bit, particularly the capitol, Santo Domingo. The AI's have lovely beaches and convenience. But I like independent travel, and so I would recommend spending a few days in the capitol and then traveling to Samana peninsula where you can use a lovely town like Las Terranas as home base and travel from there to Samana city to go whale watching with Kim Beddal [I may be butchering the spelling of her last name]. The north American humpback whales migrate there each year from January to late March, its a wonderful experience. But it really does depend on how much time you have, how strict your budget is, and what kind of vacation you want to have. The DR has a great deal to offer.