Cabrera - Managing in and around Cabrera for more then a month at a time

Penelopepab

I am interested in getting an ongoing conversation with people Living, Working, and Vacationing in or around Cabrera, Dominican Republic. Who also speak very good English and Spanish. I speak no spanish. Except "no hobla espanol"
I want to come and stay their a while.
My son is their a lot of the time. So I want to go also.
I think my main problem is manage with the language. Lessons will be needed.
Second would be the transportation. I'm older and I need a comfortable vehicle that won't cost an arm and a leg to rent or even buy at sometime in the future.
Where to shop and get some of the basics like we have in the United States. Like Milk, soft bread, peanut butter and jelly, oatmeal, olive oil, nice chicken, mild fish. Cerial. Just a good heart healthy diet. The last time I was there I was overrun with fruit and my system didn't take it too well after about 10 days. It got a little ruff.
While waiting to find reasonably priced transportation. Are there reasonably priced deliveries available? Like groceries, water.
My son doesn't drive and mostly gets around on foot. He does well.
If I can work these things out and my life in the Dominican Republic could be reletively easy, I would like to spend some of my time in my later years in life relaxing in this beautiful peaceful part of the world painting my beautiful paintings.

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a Spanish class available in Cabrera.... some English in some places... you'll catch on quickly..... survival is a basic instinct:cheeky:

Every thing you need is there... moreso in a larger place but....

Taxis and motoconchos will take you anywhere quite economically..... food delivery (altho I have never tried it) should be no problem

Cabrera is a small place and people will be helpful

I hope you'll like it

WW

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You need to send a PM to MaineGirl. She has lived and worked in Cabrera.

From my point of view, you have to pay the piper.

If you want the relaxation and tranquility that comes with living in Cabrera, you have to give up a great deal of what you might consider to be basic necessities. However, they will not be so necessary within the scenario of Cabrera. There are substitutes that you can use and enjoy.

Speaking as clearly as possible: There is no major shopping area within an hour's drive of Cabrera. The better places start in Puerto Plata and its La Sirena, and then to Santiago where there is shopping you would recognize....

But with your son enjoying life there, you will be well...not to worry. It is amazing how much you can do without.

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Playero in Sosua... but you're right HB... thats an hour +

The neccesities are available in Cabrera but the luxury items call for travel.

Of course, in Cabrera - as you say - luxury and necessity take on new meanings:cheeky:

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As a "gapstop"... Sr Fermin in Rio San Juan keeps a good supply of acceptable wines and other staples which avoid the longer drive to Sosua adn Cabarete...... including Clamato;)

He gives volume discounts too:bunny:

WW

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Shopping en el campo

Where to shop and get some of the basics like we have in the United States. Like Milk, soft bread, peanut butter and jelly, oatmeal, olive oil, nice chicken, mild fish. Cerial.

All those things can be obtained in NAGUA which is much nearer (approx. 35 km) than other places mentioned.
There are two supermarkets (Tangui and Aponte) with a good stock.

donP

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Hi Penelopepap,

I live in Cabrera and have for the past couple years, so I would be more than happy to help you out either before or once you arrive.

All the food items you mentioned... milk, soft bread, peanut butter, jelly, oatmeal, olive oil, nice chicken, and fish are all available here. Supermercado Ahorro has more of the western items, but most everything you mentioned can also be found at the smaller supermarkets.

If you would like to PM me your email address, I can email you a map I've made of Cabrera that I give to volunteers that come down to help out with my organization here. The map shows a few of my favourite supermarkets, fruit & veg shops, restaurants, etc.

As others mentioned, moto conchos will be your cheapest and easiest method of transport unless you plan to purchase your own pasola/moped. Also mentioned above, they will deliver groceries if needed. If you decide you want to purchase your own pasola/moped, they cost about $1000 USD brand new and can be around $200 - $600 USD second hand.

There is also a restaurant called ChoriPan which offers free deliver. It has lots of options, tastes good and good prices. Average meal is about 200 pesos ($6 USD). They have pork, chicken, beef, seafood, pizza, pastas, a bit of mexican. Their number is 809 589 7444 and worth a call! :)

Spanish lessons are available in town for reasonable rates. I have friends who have had them in past but never tried myself. You will also pick up a lot of Spanish just from going out in the town and talking. Don't be shy!

Cabrera is an absolutely lovely little town with the friendliest of people. I feel so lucky I can call it home and I'm sure you will feel the same! If you have any other questions, please let me know and I'll try my best to help! Look forward to seeing you around Cabrera in future!! :)

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
La Strada Restaurant

There is also a fairly new restaurant (3 months old or so), 1/2 block off the main town square, called La Strada. In my opinion, the food, decor, ambience, etc., is excellent. It's across from Chori Pan. Not a very extensive menu but enough options to please most. I've eaten there 3 times and everything has been great. They have one of the best salad dressings I've ever had ( a mayo-based dressing ) which I would just LOVE to get the recipe for. The restaurant is open-air, which I love, and there is an area with some nice oversized chairs to sit and use wi-fi as well. Great place to relax and have a drink if not interested in a meal.