Telephone engineer wage?

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Hi, just a quick one, does anyone know roughly what kind of wages telephone engineers bring in over there? Or even broadband/IT/Fibre engineers?

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2008
I will bet you that its not even half of what your making where you are; now if you own the company then that's a different story.
where are you from?

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
UK.

trained as telephone engineer with Fibre and Broadband training.
Also trained in Basic A+ computing and data analysis.

currently earning 24k+

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The problem is that in the D.R. anything that can be done is being done far cheaper by Dominicans.
In that regard this is no longer a third world country.

You will be lucky to make half your current wage - 24K is around US$36K.
Expect a quarter of that in the D.R.

Next door, however, you would easily double your current wage but that defeats the whole purpose of coming to a beautiful, palm tree lined, Caribbean paradise.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Next door, however, you would easily double your current wage but that defeats the whole purpose of coming to a beautiful, palm tree lined, Caribbean paradise.

Sounds lovely where you are, I seem to be living in a noisy, poluted, litter dredged coastline where the only peace and quiet comes around 330am when we are seranaded by the distant and not so distant sounds of traditional barrio gunfire. (yes, been a bad week for guns waking us up, I'm knackered from it. Babies and gunshots will break me for sure). I'm extra grumpy today so excuse my negative outlook and winge.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
boniouk, you will not even get close to your wage in the UK.

Also, not all of us have to indure gunshots or noise at night.
In fact, I hear almost nothing at night and I live a few blocks from Winston Churchill in the heart of the city.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You may make 20K Pesos a month. Now if you negotiate a contract from your country with a Dominican company then you can get a really good waves with some of the bigger costs covered.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
So is it best to contact IT companies and tell them what i can do, or just stick with the telecoms. Or just give in? lol

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Also, not all of us have to indure gunshots or noise at night.
QUOTE]

Yes, when you do get here don't make the mistake of moving to a place near a major highway with nice houses, wealthy ish people and zero policing. Isn't in any way peaceful or relaxing.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So is it best to contact IT companies and tell them what i can do, or just stick with the telecoms. Or just give in? lol

Unless you're an outstanding engineer in great demand because you specialize and known as an industry expert in certain areas, you're wasting your time.

Then again, if you fit the above criteria, then I wouldn't be looking at the DR to expand my CV.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Unless you're an outstanding engineer in great demand because you specialize and known as an industry expert in certain areas, you're wasting your time.

Then again, if you fit the above criteria, then I wouldn't be looking at the DR to expand my CV.

Im getting that feeling to Robert. Jack of all trades and master of nothing. Think im wasting my time. Might try working in a bank or something as did that for 3 or 4 years and might be easier to work up n make contacts etc.
The move isnt for expaning the CV though either so will have to find something.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
oouuch!

like pedroc mentioned on the prior page,
a quarter of your actual UK salary would mean you did a really lucky shot on such emplyment, for a beginner in a company here I would not expect they pay more than 15K Pesos per month, that's around US$400.-, near 5K$US per Year.

ever spent longer time periods down here with the Mrs or before you met the Mrs?
it is not just about moving and find a job and all will paradise island fine automatically.
in which area you plan to live with the Mrs, or where is she from?

good luck
and welcome to DR1 btw
Mike

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The misses lives there. :)

Does she not know anything about the oportunities for you, seems like you have the perfect connection if you have someone who understands the place and is already networking. It depends who she is and where she is from. If this is a Dominican or Haitian girl you met on holiday then I understand, she will be of no use whatsoever, so no point in asking for any assistance. If it is truely the Mrs as in wife or long term girlfriend (not your holiday play thing) then get her on the case and looking around for you, you'll get further than asking on here, pretty much all job related questions on here go the same way, No, Don't bother, Leave it for the vacation. Infact the odd good oportunity does come up and not ALL work is paid so badly, just 95% of it, with a less than 5% chance of finding anything you can live on reasonably well.
Good luck!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My wife's nephew is a Sr. Tech Engineer/Supervisor in the IT division for one of the BIG companies here. He makes around RD$29,500 per month, about US$800, a very good salary here. Took him 6 years moving through the company to get there.

Feb 7, 2007
The only way to make the money in the DR you make in UK/USA/Hong Kong/etc. is to have your own business, as a contractor or consultant. But again, that money will not be produced overnight, you would need to get established, referred by, networked, etc. and most of all get to "swim with the flow" in the Dominican business culture, AND (and this is the biggest AND, SPEAK SPEAK AND SPEAK SPANISH). To get to that point, you MUST count with two or three years of struggling, so you HAVE to have either savings to sup[port you through that time or out-of-country contracts that pay you foreign currency.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
look at the classifieds, there is an American company hiring programmers... don't know whether you would qualify, but the pay is very decent...

snifff... I don't... :bunny::bunny::bunny: